Water Resistant Watch question


Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 27, 2005
1,164
0
0
Singapore
#1
I have a 100m fossil watch that I wear for leisure diving and swimming for 2 years now. Then it ran out of battery and got stuck. When I went to fossil, I found out at the back its "water resistant" and not "water proof".

I wonder... why does water resistant has 100m? I assume this is not a horizontal distance from someone with a water gun. Any one familiar with watches?
 

digit

New Member
Jan 4, 2004
90
0
0
#2
Nowadays most watches use the 'water resistant' notation. Even a proper diving watch may also say something like water resistant 200m or 20bar. And of course you can dive with the watch up to 20bar of pressure.
 

Mar 27, 2005
1,164
0
0
Singapore
#4
Koelsch said:
i realise that water resistance is like rain hitting your watch or something. but swimming with a watch is abit :eek: .
well... my confusion was the "100m water resistance".. in which the front only show 100m... I don't really wear watch and rely on my hp for time except when in water, therefore wristwatch. :)
 

Mar 27, 2005
1,164
0
0
Singapore
#5
digit said:
Nowadays most watches use the 'water resistant' notation. Even a proper diving watch may also say something like water resistant 200m or 20bar. And of course you can dive with the watch up to 20bar of pressure.
Initially I kinda assumed that due to the "100m" but I was told by the service center its just resistance. When I asked what is the 100m for, she said its the standard practice. If what you say is true, it kinda put an ambiguous point on the warranty.
 

Lenscapes

New Member
Apr 28, 2004
942
0
0
#6
and if your watch leaks in the water..they will point at the water resistance and said.. we didn't say waterproof.....warranty voided.:dunno:
 

#8
Most probably your fossil watch is not officially classified as a DIVE watch, that's the reason why they put down 100m water resistant, so that they don't have to assume any responsibility if anything happens to you due to your use of the watch under water.

btw, after you change the battery, unless u do a water resistance test to ensure that the watch is still water resistant, your watch may not be water resistant anymore. :)
 

Clown

Moderator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2003
3,780
1
38
Singapore
#9
get a panerai.. water resistant up to 2500m.
 

Squid

New Member
Jun 10, 2004
1,467
0
0
#10
dawgbyte77 said:
I wonder... why does water resistant has 100m? I assume this is not a horizontal distance from someone with a water gun.
From my understanding, the deeper you dive, the stronger the water pressure that is exerted onto the watch casing. The watch gaskets must be able to withstand the pressure of water and prevent water seepage into the watch interior. When a watch indicates "water resistant 100m", the watch gasket must be able to withstand water pressure that is ten times of the atmospheric pressure. From what I know, practical use of "100m water resistant" is enough water resistance for frequent scuba water diving up to 30 meters.
 

#11
barracuda said:
Most probably your fossil watch is not officially classified as a DIVE watch, that's the reason why they put down 100m water resistant, so that they don't have to assume any responsibility if anything happens to you due to your use of the watch under water.

btw, after you change the battery, unless u do a water resistance test to ensure that the watch is still water resistant, your watch may not be water resistant anymore. :)
how do you do that test?
 

yanyewkay

Senior Member
Sep 22, 2004
3,924
0
0
Cons digger.
#12
you can always bring it to a dive equipment shop that does pressure testing. Of course if it leaks during the test..:sweat: at least you know it didnt' leak while diving..
 

liveevil

New Member
Jan 10, 2006
697
1
0
#13
if just normal swimming should be ok right???:think:
 

itchy

New Member
Aug 19, 2004
396
0
0
Katong
#14
Water resistance just means water can't go in if you don't operate the watch underwater, no matter at what depth. I realised this only after I spoilt my timex by deciding to press my stop watch while I was swimming.
If it's classified as dive watch, then it must be water proof. meaning its functions can be fully utilised even while submerged. Otherwise, it's not a dive watch.
 

Mar 27, 2005
1,164
0
0
Singapore
#15
itchy said:
Water resistance just means water can't go in if you don't operate the watch underwater, no matter at what depth. I realised this only after I spoilt my timex by deciding to press my stop watch while I was swimming.
If it's classified as dive watch, then it must be water proof. meaning its functions can be fully utilised even while submerged. Otherwise, it's not a dive watch.
Hmm... mine is a normal watch with nothing to poke... I admit its not a dive watch and I just use it to see the time. As for your case, I think it should be indicated in the manual as well. For mine, the "100m" and "water resistance" somehow doesn't make sense if "resistance" means can't go underwater. Oh well... it just means I'm gonna have a new watch soon. :)
 

itchy

New Member
Aug 19, 2004
396
0
0
Katong
#16
Normal watch, nothing to poke, it could be that the casing wasn't screwed tightly enough then. Happened after my new timex watch was sent in for replacement of the body cause of wear and they sent back din screw in. Water got in while i was washing clothes.
FYI, if you can open your casing and just dry out your watch with hairdryer for short 5minutes and put inside dry cabi, it might still be alive... at least mine did. :)

sucker for timex watches.
 

Mar 27, 2005
1,164
0
0
Singapore
#17
itchy said:
Normal watch, nothing to poke, it could be that the casing wasn't screwed tightly enough then. Happened after my new timex watch was sent in for replacement of the body cause of wear and they sent back din screw in. Water got in while i was washing clothes.
FYI, if you can open your casing and just dry out your watch with hairdryer for short 5minutes and put inside dry cabi, it might still be alive... at least mine did. :)

sucker for timex watches.
Mine already in service center and it will take 2 months for the parts to be available. Anyway, I seldom use the watch actually but if the repair will cost half as much as a new watch, I'll buy a new watch instead. :)
 

Del_CtrlnoAlt

Senior Member
Feb 15, 2003
16,268
0
0
Outside the Dry Box.
Visit site
#19
last time swim alot, within a year change a few watch, from starting cheapo 50m ones to those 300m ones, then still spoil.. then the shopowner say, dun press the button underwater lah... i was like duh... cos i normally set timing how many laps then when i hear the alarm goes off, i see if i hit target anot.
 

Klose

Senior Member
Feb 15, 2005
2,619
0
0
#20
my TAG is 200m water resistant :sweat:
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom