Water Lily flower

Bukitimah

Nov 28, 2010
Singapore
334b545.jpg

I took this at a local park and would like to hear some CC.

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
The composition and PP done
2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
Giving the standard water lily a different look with glow
3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
The sun was right above the sky. I need to look for a more shaded spot. No tripod nor flash used. Use want to see how best the shot can be with the camera settings.
4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
Did some PP and hope to create an effect that makes the flower look like a painting.

Very nice photograph.... but i think it looks a little over edited... but all in all very nice...

I like the center glow too...but *sorry*, I feel that it's abit "plasticky" in the center blue

If the objective is to make it look like a painting then it's a ways off. Your flower looks more like a digital "painting", it's too sharp and defined, especially the center.

Yes the glow is inviting and interpretation of subject is always in the control of the photographer. However I hope to point out what is the essence of a flower and often when in post processing, the difficulty is knowing when is enough and time to stop. That comes with experience and sticking to the theme of the shoot.

You've definitely improved much over the months and photographs. Keep it up!

Thank you for all the advices. I was busy and didn't have a chance to respond. Will work on all the suggestions given.

Thank you for all the advices. I was busy and didn't have a chance to respond. Will work on all the suggestions given.

looks like painting. nice eh.. lol

Doesn't work for me. Looks too artificial. Colour is good but too good perhaps. If that is your style, work on it.

Makes a good illustration.

334b545.jpg

I took this at a local park and would like to hear some CC.

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
The composition and PP done
2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
Giving the standard water lily a different look with glow
3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
The sun was right above the sky. I need to look for a more shaded spot. No tripod nor flash used. Use want to see how best the shot can be with the camera settings.
4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
Did some PP and hope to create an effect that makes the flower look like a painting.

Though I agree that it is kind of too sharp and too colourful, but I like it.

I like the yellow glow from the centre and how the violet complement it.

If yr objective is get painting like i think its way off. Painting does not need such vibrant colours. It also should have some rough/noise/coarse...dun know how to explain...basically its too sharp and clear.

But if yr objective is digital and surreal then its spot on.

Of course the lily flower is not like that. When I first saw the effect, I like the centre glow and decided to PP it. I then decide to change the color a bit more.

It is just another way of 'expression' but I will be concentrating more on nature photography.