Water leakage at Kitchen toilet


Status
Not open for further replies.
#1
I just move in to new flat at Sengkang 3 years ago.

Now, neighbour from the floor below me came to me yesterday and
complan that there is water dripping at his kitchen toilet.
Apparently, there is water leakage at my kitchen toilet which cause water
dripping to their kitchen's toilet below.

What should I do ? :cry:
Do I have to cover for the repair cos or will HDB cover? :think:
Anyone knows the procedure?
 

jbma

Senior Member
Dec 28, 2003
3,287
0
0
Tampines
#2
I think you have to share the cost of the leakage. I had the same problem except my neighbour upstairs has a leaky toilet and the ceiling of my toilet below began peeling. HDB will not pay for it.
 

redstorm

New Member
Oct 29, 2002
456
0
0
Hougang
Visit site
#3
King Tiger said:
I just move in to new flat at Sengkang 3 years ago.

Now, neighbour from the floor below me came to me yesterday and
complan that there is water dripping at his kitchen toilet.
Apparently, there is water leakage at my kitchen toilet which cause water
dripping to their kitchen's toilet below.

What should I do ? :cry:
Do I have to cover for the repair cos or will HDB cover? :think:
Anyone knows the procedure?
Looks like more of a case of the water proofing in your toilet flooring was not adquately applied when they built your flat rather than it being worn off after just 3 years. For a 3 year-old flat usually the former is the reason for the leak as the water proofing chemical applied can last at least 10 years, I believe. The warranty for new flat covers only 1 year if I remember it correctly. In your case the cost of repair should be borne by you and your neighbour. Maintenance is handled by your Town Council not the HDB. Report to them and seek their advice.
 

hpong

New Member
May 31, 2002
68
0
0
Singapore
Visit site
#4
King Tiger said:
I just move in to new flat at Sengkang 3 years ago.

Now, neighbour from the floor below me came to me yesterday and
complan that there is water dripping at his kitchen toilet.
Apparently, there is water leakage at my kitchen toilet which cause water
dripping to their kitchen's toilet below.

What should I do ? :cry:
Do I have to cover for the repair cos or will HDB cover? :think:
Anyone knows the procedure?
Normally there is a ten-year warranty against water leakage provided by the main contractor, which is a standard practice in the industry. Better check with the town council first.
 

#5
Thanks jbma and Redstorm Rising, for your information and advise.
I will check will Town Council on this issue.

But is it fair for HDB to cover for one year only? ;(
I just move in for 3 years, not 10, 15 or 20 years, after renovation, furniture and etc... and now I have to share the cost between me and my neighbours under HDB regulation.
I am not sure how is he going to react.
 

#6
hpong said:
Normally there is a ten-year warranty against water leakage provided by the main contractor, which is a standard practice in the industry. Better check with the town council first.
Thanks hpong, for your advice, I will check with town council on it.
Just reading thru the HDB rule and regulation, can't find any on the leakage issue. ;(
 

Del_CtrlnoAlt

Senior Member
Feb 15, 2003
16,267
0
0
Outside the Dry Box.
Visit site
#7
dunno if mind apply, but i renovate my pte apartment, den the toilet leakage to the one below, forget how long later the neighbour downstairs complain, den i ask my contractor to do it for me, FOC, cos my contractor provide this aftersales service.

if you have done renovation, you may need to ask your contractor to check it out.
 

#8
Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
dunno if mind apply, but i renovate my pte apartment, den the toilet leakage to the one below, forget how long later the neighbour downstairs complain, den i ask my contractor to do it for me, FOC, cos my contractor provide this aftersales service.

if you have done renovation, you may need to ask your contractor to check it out.
Thanks DCA.
But I have only ask my contractor to do additional overlaying at the existing floor tiles in the kitchen toilet in 2001.

We did not remove any toilet floor tiles provided by HDB as it is HDB regulation and also to prevent leaks due to the tampering of the waterproofing membrane.

I will check with my contractor on this issue :think: , but I think he is unlikely to provide FOC to me as it is not under his responsiblity and fault.
 

redstorm

New Member
Oct 29, 2002
456
0
0
Hougang
Visit site
#9
I have a somewhat similar case as King Tiger's although my flat is 23 years old. My master bedroom toilet floor leaked and affected the RC office below (am staying on 2nd storey). The RC people approached me about the problem and adviced me to seek my MP's help for me to pay only a token sum for the repair. I did and in the end I paid only about $200 plus for a complete change of the toilet flooring plus the installation of a new set of toilet bowl. I know in normal circumstances both party got to bear the cost of the repair which I believe is about $2,000 plus but in my case probably because of the RC office below qualified me to enjoy a hugh subsidy for the repair.
 

sfhuang

New Member
Jan 21, 2002
914
0
0
sfhuang.clubsnap.org
#10
Any leakage repair costs will be borne equally by both affected units. You can seek your MP's assistance at weekly Meet-The-People sessions in your constituency to get aid such that both you and your neighbor pay 50% of the final cost. Split equally, each of you need pay only 25% of the final cost. Hope this helps.
 

Aton

New Member
Jan 29, 2004
89
0
0
Bedok South
#11
redstorm said:
Looks like more of a case of the water proofing in your toilet flooring was not adquately applied when they built your flat rather than it being worn off after just 3 years. For a 3 year-old flat usually the former is the reason for the leak as the water proofing chemical applied can last at least 10 years, I believe. The warranty for new flat covers only 1 year if I remember it correctly. In your case the cost of repair should be borne by you and your neighbour. Maintenance is handled by your Town Council not the HDB. Report to them and seek their advice.
Internal of unit - HDB only ensure that the lower floor unit can get you to share the other half $. HDB also make sure you agree to rectify the problem.

Common Property - Town Council.

DLP - Defects Liability Period provide by main contract only 1 year.

Roof top water proofing - 10 years warranty.

floor waterproofing warranty? under DLP.
 

#12
Thank you very much, Redstorm Rising, sfhuang and Aton; for your valuable information.

I will go to my neighbour house tonight and discuss with him on this issue.
Possible I will go to Sengkang Town council with him this Saturday morning and see how it goes, and also to aproach MP as one of the alternative way.

My main worry now is how my downstair neighbour is going to react, even if I discuss with him politely, as he is known by other neighbours to be an unreasonable man and gangster type of attitude person.
Quiet heachache, cos I dun want to confront with the kind of person like Chen family from Joo Chiat.
 

redstorm

New Member
Oct 29, 2002
456
0
0
Hougang
Visit site
#13
King Tiger said:
Thank you very much, Redstorm Rising, sfhuang and Aton; for your valuable information.

I will go to my neighbour house tonight and discuss with him on this issue.
Possible I will go to Sengkang Town council with him this Saturday morning and see how it goes, and also to aproach MP as one of the alternative way.

My main worry now is how my downstair neighbour is going to react, even if I discuss with him politely, as he is known by other neighbours to be an unreasonable man and gangster type of attitude person.
Quiet heachache, cos I dun want to confront with the kind of person like Chen family from Joo Chiat.
Like what you said, make a first approach to discuss with him politely. If he is approachable, fine. But if he turns out to be unreasonable and gangster-like, then let the Town Council people handle it. I am sure they have their own way of dealing with such people. Besides, such people usually won't dare to adopt an aggressive approach when dealing with government servants.
 

#14
Sometime, when I think, it is very disappont when HDB said in newspaper and website that they are building quality housing for us.

See from the news that there is a lot of crack wall found in Jurong West HDB flat, temper glass broken at Bathroom and etc....

With so many delay in HDB project like new flat at Sengkang, Punggol and those upgrading at Marine Parade and also the closing down of contractor,
I was ready wondering and doubt :think: the quality they built for our home.

And now, it is legalise the windows become owner respsonsilbilities instead of HDB. ;(
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom