Water fun....

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhbtt

Nov 19, 2008
Was Having a day out with my boy at Marina Barrage....no pp

IMG_1698-2.jpg

I will like feedback on the composition.
I have composed the picture this way because I want to show the joy of a kid in a water park

It was taken just after a heavy rain in the late afternoon...the light wasnt very good though...was comtemplating using a flash but decided against it...shot with canon 50d 18-200 lens iso 1600/ f 6.3

I will also like feedback on post processing techniques.
what can i do to bring out the the subject further....

welcome any comments :)

regards

Last edited:
gee. can you pls read here?

sorry bout that.....forgot to include write up...paiseh

That's a pretty weird crop ratio. Would a square crop help in portraying your subject in a better manner?

Composition, I don't understand why you placed the subject so far left, making him fall short of interest. Too much space made for the water, if you ask me. The position the subject is in doesn't seem to tell much about joy, other than the facial expression. Even so, subject doesn't look 'happy' or joyful judging from the expression. More like he's shouting to somebody actually, to me.

thanks Pyeel...will take note of the pointers....will try the 16 by 9 crop ratio and repost the pic

Last edited:
yeah i would agree with Pyeel.. the cropping and focus of the picture is just not there. to me, not only is there too much space for the water.. it becomes distracting too..

post processing wise.. you may want to brighten the photo a little.. it is pretty underexposed.. you can try increasing the saturation and luminance of the colours on the boy.. if its a happy picture, it should be bright! yeah. but the kid seems more intense than happy.. haha

thanks yuanzai....after some adjustments...the repost pic in the first post...

Last edited:
great shot!
you got an amazing kid man!

I will also like feedback on post processing techniques.
what can i do to bring out the the subject further....

This is not a post processing forum. Your picture is shot with "Action Program", which mean this photo is not produce by you, but your camera.

To make the subject further, you can either zoom out (you shot with 173mm) or move back... This is common sense.

0/10

This is not a post processing forum. Your picture is shot with "Action Program", which mean this photo is not produce by you, but your camera.

To make the subject further, you can either zoom out (you shot with 173mm) or move back... This is common sense.

0/10

This is photograhpy forum. Photography invovles post process!. even in the film days.
And there is nothing wrong with using action programme!!! else why they make it on all our camera.

If everything is common sense, doesnt issac newton discovering gravity be a common sense? in that case why is he a genius

i have read all ur post. seriously u are not giving good advices to anyone. if you are that great why not post up some of ur pics here and let us see?? dun spoil this forum but giving unhelpful critque...perhaps u should read the guidelines for critque..

Mods can u take a look into this case.
Thanks

This is photograhpy forum. Photography invovles post process!. even in the film days.
And there is nothing wrong with using action programme!!! else why they make it on all our camera.
For photography, Exposure correction yes. Saturation yes. Color yes. This photo does not need anything else.

Everything is wrong with preset, basically it meant no skill and creativity involved.

Since you have quoted my post. Have I not tell him that he can zoom out or move back. Is it not helpful?

0/10

I believe the photograph is produced by him, he is the one who is looking through the viewfinder, he is the one who click on the shutter release. If the camera can produce images, there won't be such thing as a bad photograph.

Nothing wrong with PP in photography, during the film days they have the darkroom.

and your comments doesn't add any value.
0/100

I agree Post Processing is already becoming an integral part of Digital Photography nowadays.
Not sure about the past, but I heard darkrooms could enhance the images with simple tweaks as well.
The preset modes are there to facilitate easier learning for budding hobbyist photographers. After all, it's still down to an individual to compose his images properly and/or nicely. That said, you could use the Manual modes but take images that looks less impressive as well.

Pictures are produced by us, with our cameras. This is my take.

nhbtt, the threadstarter, asked for Post Processing tips in making the subject stand out further. Personally I would enhance the individual colours on the subject, such that they become more outstanding. A little tricky here, since there is an abundance of water droplets in front of the subject, hence I would use the previously mentioned method of enhancing colours.

I believe what nhbtt wanted to inquire was how to bring out the subject more while retaining the composition, instead of the zooming in and out on the subject.

Anyway, nhbtt, you could had stopped down the ISO to probably ISO 400, I believe the shutter speed at that ISO would be sufficient since you're at ISO 1600 with 1/1250.

Last edited:
I would like to thank all members here for the comments and advice given...we are all here to learn from each other and to exchange pointers and i must say every input counts and with each input we will grow into perhaps better
photographers ?...aniway my 2 cents worth is that PP is an essential part of photography just like SFX in movies...

thanks infiniteever....my next love besides my camera;)

Does this mean you love your camera more than your kid?
Where does that place your wife?

Does this mean you love your camera more than your kid?
Where does that place your wife?

...ah hmmm....:embrass:

wifey....kids...then camera :bsmilie:

0/10

WOW!:bigeyes: your common sense could even tell the exact range to cover! 173mm. Then again getting back, whats so wrong with playing with curves, levels and saturation before posting? The camera is only responsible in writing the image into the storage media, but TS is the one who is behind the view-finder, composing the pic.

For photography, Exposure correction yes. Saturation yes. Color yes. This photo does not need anything else.

Everything is wrong with preset, basically it meant no skill and creativity involved.

Since you have quoted my post. Have I not tell him that he can zoom out or move back. Is it not helpful?

Preset only narrows away the variables of aperture, shutter and other settings, but the most important factor, composition is left solely on you. Unless, you have a camera, that can auto compose a winning shot, but you just need to do all the shutter, aperture, ISO settings. Such a camera i oso want to buy.:devil:

And to TS, i say add a slight vignette to the sides of the pic, just a slight would do. Might bring the subject out more.

Last edited:
Sharing my pic as my 2 cents worth.
Click for larger image.

Can you see the sparkle in his eyes, the smile on his face to show that he's enjoying the moment?

When you mention JOY - first thing comes to mind is facial features - a smile, or the sparkle in the eyes. Other joyful reactions can be the moving hands, its not static. What I see in your pic, may have that element of joy, but with such posture, it lacks punch, but more like wanna approach me with a punch - see his right clenched wrist. What could have done was him screaming, or smiling with the hands in the air - OR instead have the water curtain pouring on his head from the back trickling down his smiley face. what we see now is lots of water splashes / droplets which mess up the picture. My suggestions MIGHT produce a better pose and shot; and with the usage of flash to freeze the moment, you COULD have captured it better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.