Water Droplets and more of it....

Status
Not open for further replies.

sulhan

May 11, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.md-sulhan.com
Hiee....

Juz can't get to bed.....so went around the house finding stuff to shoot....here are some from the sink!!!

mindrop1.jpg

Shot taken at : Tv - 1/16000sec Av- F11

mindrop2.jpg

Shot taken at : Tv - 1/16000sec Av- F11

rgds,
me

Hi Snipe...

Colorful??....Well...my sink is simple common stainless steel one. The colours are achived by using coloured cups from ikea. The green background is the dishwasing liquid and the yellow one is a yellow cup. The first red water base was using a red cup and the second one using a blue cup...

rgds,
me

sulhan said:
Hi Snipe...

Colorful??....Well...my sink is simple common stainless steel one. The colours are achived by using coloured cups from ikea. The green background is the dishwasing liquid and the yellow one is a yellow cup. The first red water base was using a red cup and the second one using a blue cup...

rgds,
me

wow. cool stuff u got there! was wondering (b4 u explained) how u did that :)

cheers

forbytes said:
only A1 does that right... shot at 1/16000... nice colours and moments...

i new to this ... but err ... for such shots, we must use speed like 1/16000 to do it? can 1/2000 or 1/4000 do it too?

ndroo said:
i new to this ... but err ... for such shots, we must use speed like 1/16000 to do it? can 1/2000 or 1/4000 do it too?

You don't need such ridiculously high speeds. The water drop in my avatar is captued at 1/500.

Don't think any camera does 1/16000, even the fastest Dynax 9 can do only up to 12000 if I am not wrong.

Btw, 1/4000 is already fast enough to freeze a bullet. :)

Regards
CK

ckiang said:
You don't need such ridiculously high speeds. The water drop in my avatar is captued at 1/500.

Don't think any camera does 1/16000, even the fastest Dynax 9 can do only up to 12000 if I am not wrong.

Btw, 1/4000 is already fast enough to freeze a bullet. :)

Regards
CK

thanx for the answer ckiang. appreciate it. err ... then again, under what circumstances do we need a 1/16000 for?

Great Shots!!!

For you when you cant get to bed, maybe b'cos of other reason, but for me, i think i would be in insomia to think and create something like that..... :eek:

Love both the pics.

Cheers!

ndroo said:
thanx for the answer ckiang. appreciate it. err ... then again, under what circumstances do we need a 1/16000 for?

Well, this is offtopic, but one of such occassions would be that you are trying to shoot at a wide aperture (e.g. f/2.8) to get the shallow DoF on high speed film (e.g. ISO 800) in bright daylight. :)

Regards
CK

Hiee....

The shot was taken at 1/16000sec (the fastest speed on the A1) happen that i was trying out the shots with the flash in very close range of the drops and the shiny sink at the bottom....threw the whole setup over-exposed.

I was just taking the shots with the eyes on the viewfinder....and was incrementing the shutter speed as i went along. Didn't realised it was at the 1/16000 position!!

rgds,
me

sulhan said:
Hiee....

The shot was taken at 1/16000sec (the fastest speed on the A1) happen that i was trying out the shots with the flash in very close range of the drops and the shiny sink at the bottom....threw the whole setup over-exposed.

I was just taking the shots with the eyes on the viewfinder....and was incrementing the shutter speed as i went along. Didn't realised it was at the 1/16000 position!!

rgds,
me
Actually, like I mentioned, you don't even need to go above 1/500 to get it, since you're shooting with flash and the flash will freeze the relatively slow water droplets.

A1 does 1/16000? Interesting. Probably an electronic shutter? :)

Regards
CK

Once you're faster than about 1/20 to 1/30 of a second, the human reflexes cannot be counted on to hit the shutter at the right time. The shutter lag of a 1V/1D/1Ds is 55ms, which is slower than 1/20s. Meaning that even if you are super-human and time your shot to 1/4000 precisely (say, bullet), the shutter will still open 1/18s later (on a 1V). It will be even slower on other cameras.

Apologies to Sulhan for the OT. Nice shots, btw.

thanks everyone for the info. appreciate 'em. nice pics, sulhan. err ... i kidnapped 'em for my wallpaper now (until i learn how to take pics like these one day) ... hope u don't mind ;)

ST1100 said:
Once you're faster than about 1/20 to 1/30 of a second, the human reflexes cannot be counted on to hit the shutter at the right time. The shutter lag of a 1V/1D/1Ds is 55ms, which is slower than 1/20s. Meaning that even if you are super-human and time your shot to 1/4000 precisely (say, bullet), the shutter will still open 1/18s later (on a 1V). It will be even slower on other cameras.

Apologies to Sulhan for the OT. Nice shots, btw.

Hi! I am new to photography and am extremely interested in it, especially taking pictures of what sulhan did.. Freezing water droplets.. I would be delighted if you could tell me how to take such a shot using ISO 100 and ISO 200. Do I need a tripod? I know that fast shutter speed is needed.. what I dunno is what aperture value should be adjusted for ISO 100, 200, 400, 800. Thanks in advance!! ;)

Hiee...

You can try out the shots with a tap which is easily controlled. SO As you adjust the tap...the frequency of drops may vary. So adjust nicely such that you are at a comfortable timing to press shutter at a certain "ambush" technique.

What i meant by ambush....when you see the drop almost breaking up from the tap...you should all be ready to press the shutter..once it breaks...you can press the shutter accordingly.

Well this takes practice as this is my usual ritual after purchasing any camera.....water drop shots.

THis will allow me to have a feel of the shutter lag (should there be any and heve a personal feel towards working around any significant lag).
The crucial factor for water shot here is shutter open timing (shutter speed is about shutter open to closing time....the one which influences the FREEZING instance).

The One which influence the position of the drop (i.e in free fall) is the time the shutter opens after you press the shutter button (lag).

So go ahead and try out first on your camera to have a feel of the shutter ....and then come to the compose/setup and freeze photography....

rgds,
me

i've always wanted to try it, but i think my dad will think i'm nuts, setting up a tripod in the kitchen in front of the sink. Anyway, think i will get down to it someday...

Hiee....

I for got to Add.......those shots are all hand held shots (supported on the sink edge)....... :embrass:

i realised that night that my tripod was in the car......bummer

so have to hand hold.......

rgds,
me

Status
Not open for further replies.