Water Droplets Abstracts

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobbes187

Apr 3, 2007
Singapore
www.flickr.com
Hi all, just got my D80 last week and came up with this series while playing around with the camera. I'm pretty new to DSLRs so do let me have some constructive comments on how I can improve my shots.

All taken with D80 and 18-135mm.

1215412706_be7fdb5ffc_o.jpg

1214548325_e9222d0d69_o.jpg

1214547987_f816f315f9_o.jpg

1214549095_6964b4bf3b_o.jpg

1215411698_fb530822ee_o.jpg

Pretty interesting set, I like.

You may try off camera flash for different effects. It will be much more fun!

whoa.. cool man..must have some awsome lighting yea

you shot manual focus at 10mp and cropped it down right

whoa.. cool man..must have some awsome lighting yea

you shot manual focus at 10mp and cropped it down right

Nothing extraodinary used ;p I only used the onboard flash on my D80. What I did was use a black background, turn off all the lights in the room and took the pictures in pitch darkness. I locked the auto focus at the centre of the water surface and just fired off shot after shot.

After that just crop the part out in PS.

Nope, nothing extra added. I think the next time I try it I will try to get a close up filter or a macro lens.

whoa i didnt know the autofocus can focus so well in the dark for such fast moving things.. not bad... good man..

please share your EXIF!! wanna shoot these too!
Camera Make: NIKON CORPORATION
Camera Model: NIKON D80
Image Date: 2007:08:23 22:36:12
Flash Used: Yes (Manual, return light detected)
Focal Length: 135.0mm (35mm equivalent: 202mm)
Exposure Time: 0.017 s (1/60)
Aperture: f/19.0
ISO equiv: 500
Exposure Bias: 0.50
White Balance: Manual
Light Source: Flash
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)

Basically, I locked the AF on a certain area so only those droplets that fall in these areas will be focused. So its sort of trial and error to find the spot where the splashes are most pronounced then focus on it. Hope that helps :)

Great shots. :thumbsup:
You are new in DSLR??? Considering great for those shots.

cool stuffs....just dont like the brim of the cup shown..
should show either more..or dont show at all...(thats my personal opinion thou) :)

mafanyau: Thanks! I'm new to DSLR but previously I did use prosumers before. Always wanted to try shots like this but could only do it now with the higher shutter and focus speed of DSLR.

grainpixel: Thanks... I figured I could try a transparent glass for my next series but I need to find a way to avoid too much reflection from the flash.

Just got a 50mm to use with my Canon 250D macro filter. The focus distance is now ~10cm so maybe I can try this again to capture more details.

Very nice shots..

Status
Not open for further replies.