Water-damaged DSLR

HuiXL

Jan 19, 2015
Yishun
Hi all, this is my first time posting outside of the sales forum so I am not sure if this is the right place to seek help.

My Canon 650d unfortunately met the combination of snow and rain in Vancouver and I was not able to protect it quickly enough (did not expect the sudden increase in intensity of precipitation). It stopped working for about a week and it was only during the past few days that I was able to switch it on.

Here's the issue: It would switch on, but if I leave the battery in for a few hours, it would become non-responsive until I remove the battery for another few hours. I have used different batteries with the same results.

I tried googling and could not find a reason for this nor a solution. Is it because the camera still has water residue and I should leave it to dry for a longer time in the dry cabinet?

While I would definitely bring some plastic bags as a temporary rain cover for my other DSLR, I would still like to revive this camera. Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you!

Unfortunately sounds like some water has seeped in and caused damage to the electronics in the camera... not easy to DIY diagnose and fix

Probably have to bring down to Canon service centre or seek out the forum guru 'fatigue' for a look

Try putting in a place with low RH and remove all items in it. Eg is near the sun, not directly under the sun. U need to take note of the time it is near the sun. Too hot will damage the camera. This is to heat up the water that may seep into the camera. Try to dry up asap cos too wet inside may cos other grown in it.

Sent from my LG-H961N using Tapatalk

Thank you for the advice!