Watchmen

Status
Not open for further replies.

phoakm

Dec 15, 2003
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
www.flickr.com
Er.....I had been seeing trailer of this movie since last year. Finally, it is going to screen next week. But still don't understand the story. Very different from superman and X-men stories.

Anyone can enlighten me? :)

I hope this movie does not bomb out. the ending to the graphic novel was one which made me a bit confused, and I had to re-read it a bit before I understood the magnitude of the story and its ending, plus the implications it had on each character in the last few panels.

for people who have no read this graphic novel before, do not expect action sequences like X-men or Superman (bad re-launch) or Batman, it is nothing like it. Alan Moore aka the guy who wrote it never intended for it to be an action, guns ablazing comic. it's meant to be thought provoking, with regards to question on authority and totalitarian regimes, plus the responsibility that humans have with regards to each other, especially when in position of power (financially and mentally). closest I could think to such "morals" would be his other work called V for Vendetta.

I really hope Zack Snyder doesn't f*** it up. it's going to be interesting, and I can't wait till the 5th of March.

who watches the Watchmen?

Last edited:
Just like V for Vendetta, it is highly advisable to get a copy and read the actual comics first.

When you subsequently watch the movie, you will enjoy it more because you will understand the deeper nuances within each movie scene.

That's because movies have a fixed time limit whereas the comic book has more freedom (and TIME) to develop the characters.

the graphic novel

is the best ever made

but the movie will definitely disappoint

watchmen is better suited for a serial than a movie

There are so many subtleties that rise up after every session of reading.
Must have re-read it at least 5 times myself... and I hate re-reading stuff.
Get the graphic novel, set aside a few hours of your life, in a quiet lil' corner, and prepare to be absorbed.
Of course it does help if you're familiar with the whole comicbooksuperhero genre and their stereotypes.
Plus a grasp of world history and the history of comicbooks for that matter will help give layers to your understanding and appreciation.
Happy reading!

awesome.

even if the movie bombs out, I must say, Silk Spectre looks awesome! the daughter of the original one that is, I wonder who will they cast as the original Silk Spectre.

I think I need to go to the shops selling comics to purchase the book. :bsmilie:

The director of this moive is the one making 300 which is also from a famous comic book. (FYI, which the movie 5 times). Hopefully, he is able to portray the story of Watchmen in the book well into the moive. :)

I think I need to go to the shops selling comics to purchase the book. :bsmilie:

The director of this moive is the one making 300 which is also from a famous comic book. (FYI, which the movie 5 times). Hopefully, he is able to portray the story of Watchmen in the book well into the moive. :)

urh you don't have to. Borders or Kino will sell it as well. all 12 volumes in one handy book. sorta looks like this... (at least the one I have)

watchmen.jpg

although i am eagerly waiting to catch the movie, i have no doubt that it will pale in comparison to the book. nice costumes, CGI and moody lighting will not make up for the complexed structure, multi-layered storytelling and pacing of the novel.

if you are interested in the movie, do borrow or buy a copy of the novel. its a really good read even for non-comic book fans.

without the intertwining with the Tales of the Black Freighter in the movie and other plot structures found in the novel, it may be difficult for a moviegoer to appreciate why the novel is so highly regarded even after 22 years.

i just hope they do rorschach some justice in the movie.

rorschach > all

:bsmilie: the voice of rorschach in the trailers makes me cringe though...i can't imagine rorschach narrating the kidnap & dog case with that voice (if they have that scene at all). somehow it doesn't suit the absolute-ness of rorschach.

the beginning is the end is the beginning on the 1st trailer made my day though :bsmilie:

:bsmilie: the voice of rorschach in the trailers makes me cringe though...i can't imagine rorschach narrating the kidnap & dog case with that voice (if they have that scene at all). somehow it doesn't suit the absolute-ness of rorschach.

the beginning is the end is the beginning on the 1st trailer made my day though :bsmilie:

oh yeah

well, i'm not expecting much from the movie, but i think it's good that they finally acknowledge the fact that graphic novels have substantial value; there are actually people who will tell me that a graphic novel has zero literary value.

after all, watchmen can be considered to be one of the best standalone graphic novels ever written.. and graphic novels , when good, are in a class of their own.

Just like V for Vendetta, it is highly advisable to get a copy and read the actual comics first.

When you subsequently watch the movie, you will enjoy it more because you will understand the deeper nuances within each movie scene.

i think the opposite. V or Vendetta the movie seriously lacked the depth of the novel, i think for those who have note read the novels by Alan Moore, it may be better to watch the movie and pick up the book later to appreciate the original story. you probably won't be so disappointed by the movie this way. :bsmilie:

i think the opposite. V or Vendetta the movie seriously lacked the depth of the novel, i think for those who have note read the novels by Alan Moore, it may be better to watch the movie and pick up the book later to appreciate the original story. you probably won't be so disappointed by the movie this way. :bsmilie:

case in point, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. horrible horrible HORRIBLE movie but the graphic novel was pretty awesome.

as for Tales of the Black Freighter will be released separately, and Gerard Butler will be in it... probably as the mariner who goes looking for his missus. I think it's going to be a DVD only thing.... so hence, no Tales of the Black Freighter interwoven with the actual story itself.

case in point, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. horrible horrible HORRIBLE movie but the graphic novel was pretty awesome.

as for Tales of the Black Freighter will be released separately, and Gerard Butler will be in it... probably as the mariner who goes looking for his missus. I think it's going to be a DVD only thing.... so hence, no Tales of the Black Freighter interwoven with the actual story itself.

till date, i haven't watched LoEG. so thats a movie ticket saved for me.

so Tales of the Black Freigher will be on the dvd release?

I kinda liked the dark analogy and deep undertones about the concept of metamorphosis (besides many others) where Rosarch is concerned. Without that separate Black Freighter storyline, the movie will definitely lose much of its dark humoured charm.

till date, i haven't watched LoEG. so thats a movie ticket saved for me.

so Tales of the Black Freigher will be on the dvd release?

I rented that movie. I wouldn't say it was a ticket saved, but I was sure as hell glad I didn't pay full price on it as compared to renting it for cheap. heh.

as for Tales of the Black Freighter, from what I gather, it will be released with the DVD. could be wrong though coz you know how these internet sources are, about as reliable as a faulty pacemaker.

I kinda liked the dark analogy and deep undertones about the concept of metamorphosis (besides many others) where Rosarch is concerned. Without that separate Black Freighter storyline, the movie will definitely lose much of its dark humoured charm.

I think Zack Snyder and co decided to exclude it due to the time constrain factors. I read somewhere that Warner Brothers will lose money to Century Fox due to a prior litigation battle where x% of profits will be given to Century Fox.... so I'm pretty certain the supposed/reported exclusion of the Tales has also got something to do with it (removal of it will ensure shorter movie/less confusing plot, thereby generating more box office dollars from the movie goers).

Movies that need lots of brain juice to process is not my type. Prefer Marley and Me. :lovegrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.