Watch winder

Bukitimah

Nov 28, 2010
Singapore
I did a search and didn't find any threads on this subject. So I guess it is OK to post and talk **** a bit and hopefully hear something from people who can share with us.

I am sure many CS members are also into watches as guys like camera, electronics stuff and watches right? When you start to collect more than what you normally wear, the shop will recommend that you purchase a watch winder to ensure you keep your auto watch running smooth all the time. That is actually quite simple, buy a single, twin or 6 winder to meet your needs.

Then someone will advise that you should buy this special one and check out the TPD. The TPD should be of a certain number of turns in both directions. If the winder is of a poor quality, it will also magnetize your watch and over winding, etc. This is getting complicated. Since when will a watch we paid $$$$ become so delicate that it cannot be subject to too much movements? :sweat:

Can members share your thought? Is watch winder necessary or you can leave it alone and only 'reactivate' only when you want to wear it. Of course if the watch is left alone for a couple of days, you need to re-adjust the date and time before your wear it. But the question is, would that affect the accuracy of the watch in the long run?:embrass:

I know some will say, just buy a quartz and change the battery once every 5 years. I am referring to auto mechanical watches. :sticktong

If u have a perpetual calendar, it makes perfect sense to get a watch winder cos u don't want to risk adjusting the time/date wrongly.

I have a 6 piece winder with fixed TPD which has not given me problems since few years back.

I'm not a technical person to comment on the negative effects of over winding... so will leave it to the experts to comment :) but re: ur question about whether frequent adjustment of time will affect accuracy of watch in long term, I don't think so but in any case u can always send the watch for servicing.

Last edited:
I think unless your watch has many complications, its better to just leave it. Rewind and readjust when you want to wear it.
All mechanical watches will subject to wear and tear, so they'll have to be sent for service every few years anyway.

by auto you mean those no run on battery one right? powered by movement?

the top of my fridge does exactly that:bsmilie: my old seiko is still running fine

by auto you mean those no run on battery one right? powered by movement?

the top of my fridge does exactly that:bsmilie: my old seiko is still running fine

amazing. How does ur fridge top do that?

Have some friends who are into watches.
The cost of playing watches far exceeds cameras and lenses. Recently someone showed me a $81,000 watch that he bought with some discount.

Some of them mentioned watch winder. The motion of the device mimics your wrist movements and rotates/twists in such a way that the movement will serve to wind the automatic mechanism inside the automatic watches.
Yes, I also thought about the question of over-winding. Perhaps the watch winder got a built in rest/lapse timer; or the coil spring inside the watch is so strong that over-winding is a non-issue.

(I think) The watch will not spoil if you do not use a watch winder. If a watch is left for a long time you just have to reset the date and time.
This can be bothersome.
You can live without it if you want to. Accuracy is not affected if you have left the watch unused for along time and use it on certain special occasions. That has to be the case, because when you buy the watch brand new, it has been lying in the watch shop for months/years unused.
Such watch users and collectors are not into extreme time accuracy.

If you want accuracy, buy a $90 quartz watch. That's what I wear.

If you own several very expensive automatic watches then it is useful to have a watch winder.
You do not have to reset the date and time if you left a watch for many weeks unused and suddenly pick one up to wear.
The time and date would be correct. (you may have to adjust for calendar quirks such as some months end on 28th or 29th(leap year) or 30th or 31st)

It naturally means the watch winder is AC powered and has to be constantly turned on. Presumably it is a low energy consumption device.

Last edited:
Yes.. if you want accuracy, buy a quartz ;p
I think in modern mechanical watches, there is a mechanism to prevent over winding.
But eventually the hairspring will be tired with constant use and have to be replaced after some years.
My advice is if your watch only have date/time complication, then don't bother with winders.
But if you have perpetual calendar, etc etc... you might consider one.
I think whats better is to hand wind your watches every few days instead of relying on winders. :angel:

One thing about not using watch winder is the lubricating oil inside the watch will freeze at one side. That might cause some problem.

Just made sure that you wear and let it run for a day every week. Please monitor the reserve that the watch has then turn on the watch winder for a day to build up the reserve then turn it off.

getting a watch winder eliminate the chance of touching / spoiling the stem while winding or adjusting the calender
It is like poking a ice cream stick into your a s s. the less you poke the better.

Anyone got winder to recommend? I saw many brands in the market dunno which is reputable.

the less material objects we have, the less cares we have.

blessed is the man who has his equipment serving him, than he be a slave to them

the less material objects we have, the less cares we have.

blessed is the man who has his equipment serving him, than he be a slave to them

Says a cat :angel:

meanwhile.. TS is nowhere to be found :bsmilie:

hanzohattori said:
Says a cat :angel:

meanwhile.. TS is nowhere to be found :bsmilie:

Hi what is required from TS? Actually until now still confused. I think winder is not necessary unless u will not be using or touching your watch for a long time.

On magnetizing of watches. Yes, I did a test and found 2 of my watches have been magnetized but not sure by what. Another small poison. Need to buy a magnetize repair tool or you can always get a repair shop to do it for you. I think I will buy one since it doesn't cost much.

Hi what is required from TS? Actually until now still confused. I think winder is not necessary unless u will not be using or touching your watch for a long time.

On magnetizing of watches. Yes, I did a test and found 2 of my watches have been magnetized but not sure by what. Another small poison. Need to buy a magnetize repair tool or you can always get a repair shop to do it for you. I think I will buy one since it doesn't cost much.

We need pictures :bsmilie:
so do you actually have a winder already or what? And what is your main concern for getting one?
I think a winder is not essential. Its just a convenience, you can always rewind and readjust regularly.

We need pictures :bsmilie:
so do you actually have a winder already or what? And what is your main concern for getting one?
I think a winder is not essential. Its just a convenience, you can always rewind and readjust regularly.

OIC, yes I am using a double winder for a number of years. I need to send one of my old auto watch for service and was checking on a forum to get some advice. i didn't occur to me till I read an article about winder would cause watches to be magnetized and over winding.

Now I learn a few more things about watches. I have always been fascinated with mechanical watches and its movements. I have also collected 2 clocks which are more than 50 years old. It is keeping good time even at that age and you just need to wind it once a week. It will chime ever 15 minutes!

if you are afraid of magnetizing, just put it near an induction cooker. sure demagnetize. although not sure what other effects will be there...

It's not possible to overwind automatic these days. They do have a clutch in place to prevent that. Watch winders does not operate continuously, you program how many turns per 24 hours it does and get a winder that does bi-directional.

A winder is basically a convenience if you have more than one automatic, those who are into watch definitely do. The biggest benefit of a winder is for watches with complex perceptual calendar. A good winder is not cheap. They easily cost at least $150 to over $5000. Poorly made winders are the source of magnetizing so don't cheap out on a winder if you decide to get it.

Orbita Watchwinders
https://www.wolfdesigns.com/

Last edited: