Watch the horizon.. Or watch the verticals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sapphy

Jun 17, 2007
As above...

There are times where I would have to choose between the 2. Just curious, what would you guys choose?

There are times where I would have to choose between the 2. Just curious, what would you guys choose?

When verticals appear vertical in the picture, the horizon is automatically level and centered and vice versa (for rectilinear, i.e. "normal" lenses). Or am I overlooking something?

What focal length are you using?

In a "normal" shot using 50mm, it' best to keep the horizon flat. If the verticals are further away from you, this will likely mean they, too, will be straight. Too close to them, you'll have a "bottoms-up" perspective where the base is nearer to you then the top of the vertical.

i use verticals, almost all the time

horizons are almost always not straight, as they might curve in and out, but verticals, from buildings if possible are unlikely to do so (except maybe the leaning tower of pisa)

of course, when using verticals (and horizontal lines too) be careful of distortion, other than barrel distortion like the keystone effect and some others, cant remember the names

so when using verticals, try to check with those as close to the centre as possible

I use a hotshoe bubble spirit level... :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.