Watch Boxes

betta01

Mar 19, 2006
Borneo rainforest
Fellow collectors, how do you keep your watch boxes in pristine condition?:think:

I assume you are referring to the leather wrapped kind?

The best way is to keep them in a dry and clean environment. Dry cabinets , safes are good if the boxes r that valuable to u. I've a friend who packs his boxes in zip locks and then keeps them in his cabinet with a thirsty hippo , something u can consider as I can see his boxes end up quite well kept.

I've resorted to parking my IWC box in a dry cabinet to protect it. Those who own one will understand that IWC boxes are one of the worst around coming to durability. The sticky issue was enough for me to get back to IWC and they acknowledged the issue but prob won't do anything about it.

Comparingly , vintage boxes last superbly well - I've a 1950s Rolex box which is still in perfect condition despite being left in the wardrobe for storage generally. Ebel boxes survive remarkably well too.

Our environment is too humid to keep them and ... Frankly I'd spend more efforts towards keeping the watches well :) after all we paid mainly for the watch , not for box.

Yes I am referring to the leather wrapped watch boxes.
As the condition of the box will affect the resale value, if I will to do a resell in the future.

Hoping to keep these boxes as pristine as possible.

Luckily, my watches come in a lacquered wooden box (or faux wood box), so no issues there.

You can consider using a light leather polish on it once a while. I use Bally shoe cream for a variety of my leather product and it works well.

Those who own one will understand that IWC boxes are one of the worst around coming to durability.

Yeah...the IWC and Tag Heuer leather bound boxes and the old red velvet Omega boxes deteriorate really fast. Doesn't help that IWC uses white leather... It de-colorizes way to easily.

well.. you won't get that problem with Pam boxes though :bsmilie:

Yeah...the IWC and Tag Heuer leather bound boxes and the old red velvet Omega boxes deteriorate really fast. Doesn't help that IWC uses white leather... It de-colorizes way to easily.

Yeap. Some brands do include a new box/pouch (of course not the original but still decent)when u send them in for general servicing. IWC, Ball all do.

As what Blur Shadow shared, using leather creams does go a long way to minimize cracking from overly dried leather. Keeping them ziplocks in controlled environments help a lot too. But really.. I really do attest to the drop in quality of watch boxes over the ages.

Since on this topic:

the most durable watch box I've :

65c6fd74.jpg

5d45e0ee.jpg

from a quite young brand that some collectors are starting to take notice.

dropped it once on my parquet floor and (sob) , my parquet flooring dented ..

Orbis Morgan. Just do a quick google for them. To me a very affordable yet well designed and decent watch for everyday use.

I am more conservative when it comes to watches.
I have mainly main stream watch brands, mostly chronograph and dive watches.

I am more conservative when it comes to watches.
I have mainly main stream watch brands, mostly chronograph and dive watches.

So what do you have? Just curious. KPT anyway.

Don't have very expensive watch... been getting S$4 - S$5 watches from ebay... so didn't think of putting them in boxes.

So what do you have? Just curious. KPT anyway.

Doxa 600T Graph 2005 Edition Chronograph
Tudor Heritage Blue Chronograph
Alpina 130 Heritage Chronograph
Fortis B42 White Chronograph
Omega Ploprof 1200m
Rolex Daytona

Last edited:
Doxa 600T Graph 2005 Edition Chronograph
Tudor Heritage Blue Chronograph
Alpina 130 Heritage Chronograph
Fortis B42 White Chronograph
Omega Ploprof 1200m
Rolex Daytona

Oh yeah! You have the Ploprof! Haha. Good collection. I'm not into diver's watches, so perhaps I cannot appreciate it, but nonetheless, I recognize the value!

Oh yeah! You have the Ploprof! Haha. Good collection. I'm not into diver's watches, so perhaps I cannot appreciate it, but nonetheless, I recognize the value!

Just a modest collection, can't really buy as often as I want (pocket not that deep:()
Personally I agree that it is silly to own too many watches but I can't help it especially if the design appeals to me.

Last edited:

Seiko Auto Tuna.....
I don't have it though :cry:

227798d1256719621-review-seiko-sbdx011-1000m-automatic-tuna-petews-image-sbdx011.jpg

Look, ma. No need He Release

Last edited: