Wat to buy to protect or enhance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carrotbar07

Oct 19, 2007
Hi all

Just bought a H3 last week so wonder wat to buy to enhance the cam or a better protection for my cam..

Hi sis,

Welcome to ClubSnap & getting a very nice camera. For a start, I believe that your camera comes with a screen protector on your screen, so that is taken care of. I don't think your lens can have any filters attach to it so just take care of it & put it back in your bag or pouch when not in use & do not drop it should be good enough.

oh u mean cannot have filters ah? i have the screen protector alady :)...need dry box anot har?? cos my frend mention to me but i dunno whether to get or not..

only if u dont mind having some green stuff growing inside ur cam/lens. ;p

oh u mean cannot have filters ah? i have the screen protector alady :)...need dry box anot har?? cos my frend mention to me but i dunno whether to get or not..

its better to get it.:)

Hi all

Just bought a H3 last week so wonder wat to buy to enhance the cam or a better protection for my cam..

Ask yourself in which area the camera is limiting you after one week. From this it would follow what steps could be taken to enhance it. If you want to "enhance" it for the sake of enhancing it, you may take a cue from the car crowd and start off with a little racing sticker or miniature spoiler.

Protection comes in many forms and price ranges. One item that is very useful and affordable is a plastic bag to protect it from water if you e.g. get caught in a tropical downpour. Another form of protection could be an insurance against theft or accidental damage. It could be a towel or thick sock to protect it from shocks before you dump it in your backpack, or an expensive fashion accessory-cum-camera bag. It's up to you to weigh the risks against the cost and efficiency of respective protective measures.

If you don't see a pressing need but want to spend more money on the photography hobby, I would suggest to put it into enhancing your skills, such as buying a good book, or enhancing your enjoyment , e.g. by having more of your images printed in a somewhat larger format by a reputable lab and decorating your home.

Hi all

If I may suggest, get a good dry cabinet (japan made ones from John 3:16 if you can afford), get a good water resistant camera bag (eg kata, tamrac, billingham, lowepro, etc). When not in use, wipe clean the equipment with a soft/dry micro fibre cloth and place the camera in the dry cabinet. Do not chuck everything in the bag and put the whole bag in dry cabinet as it takes a long time to dry up the air in the bag. Also, try to have the dry cabinet in an aircon room (eg study room) to keep the temperature cool when you are around.

The best protection is to handle photographic equipment with good care. Multi coated lens filters, screen protector, lens pouch, egrip tapes are also good to have. While this may sound silly, do not drop your gears onto the floor. Other than moisture and extreme heat, the gravity is one of our biggest enemies. :bsmilie:

H3 ?? .. is it hassel ??? ..

You might want to consider getting an extended warranty from Sony (?) for your H3. It's the best protection for your camera.

OPPPPSSSSS ... lol ... sorry ...

Hi all

better protection - can be done at the cost of limiting functionality of the camera, i prefer not to add any form of protection - even on lenses unless they are unforgiveably expensive to me. my advice is not to do it.

what do you mean by ENHANCEMENT?

i think you might consider getting cokin's filters for p&s if you're really looking to move on to another level of photography.. not sure how it works, have not seen it before, but i know of people using it. please google for the cokin website and browse around yourself to see what this is if you are interested, and not ask me where it is to be found.

cheers

H3 ?? .. is it hassel ??? ..

OPPPPSSSSS ... lol ... sorry ...

let me point out that in the vein of forum ettiquette

this would be viewed as what is known as post whoring, adding unnecessary comments which are unconstructive - the first one can be forgiven, the second one probably not because it adds absolutely no value to the thread

i know it's easy to point and shoot, but please resist the temptation, cheers

and i hope you will not take this opportunity to shoot another sorry

Oh it all sound so complicated to me.. ok i have the screen protector, cloth for protection. But my frend say better to get a dry box.. but wat is a dry box for? and roughly how much its cost?

Oh it all sound so complicated to me.. ok i have the screen protector, cloth for protection. But my frend say better to get a dry box.. but wat is a dry box for? and roughly how much its cost?

humidity in singapore is pretty high, so unless you are willing to take risk of your lens/camera growing fungus in the long term, best to get one, because humid conditions are good for fungus growth

a dry box/cabinet will allow you to place your camera in relatively superior humidity conditions, something like 40-50%.. where fungus growth is stemmed and the humidity is not low enough such that your rubber components will crack/ lubricant in camera moving parts will dry up

as mentioned above, there are two diff versions - dry box is cheaper, but needs more maintenance and no electricity. keeps humidity down in the form of airtight container and silica gel/moisture absorbants.. dry box itself costs about $20 to $25, can try to get second hand.

for dry cabinet got many different sizes, usually needs electricity.. can't remember cost, but slightly more expensive, i think smallest size is $60 upwards? but over long term, dry cabi will be cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.