Wat the diff between a DSLR & those Many x optical zoom camera

dthh79

Sep 14, 2006
sg
Hi Guys,

Wanted to get a cam but dunno wats the diff between a DSLR and a normal 10x, 15x,26x optical zoom camera? Can anyone enlighten me...tks:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_single-lens_reflex_camera

The intro paragraph sums it up nicely, read further for details.

Basically you have a through-the-lens viewfinder to help you frame accurately, larger sensor that allows better low-light photography and detail resolution, interchangeable lenses that allow a even wider range of focal lengths and much more.

Don't be lazy :)
the information is easily accessible on the Internet.

Just pick a superzoom model (I have no idea which) and a dslr model and google "difference between _____ and ____"

Don't be lazy :)
the information is easily accessible on the Internet.

Just pick a superzoom model (I have no idea which) and a dslr model and google "difference between _____ and ____"

I'm not lazy just dun understand the terms use in photography ok, i also know google can find la

Having used a KM superzoom before, its versatility as demonstrated by the wide range of lenses you can attach to the dSLR, where as the superzoom is fixed. So if you want to do landscape, your focal length is limited to what the superzoom has provided for, and with dSLR, you can find even 3rd party lenses for your needs.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers!

I'm not lazy just dun understand the terms use in photography ok, i also know google can find la

If you don't understand the pretty clear descriptions or the photography terms, it's hard to see how we can explain it to you. maybe you should read up on the basics of digital photography first?

If you have a basic grasp, the main differences are:

1. Sensor size
2. Lens size (which reflects the large equiv. focal lengths)
3. Ability to change lenses
4. Depth-of-field (related to point 1)
5. ISO range
6. Image detail
7. Dynamic range

Then what makes you think asking that sort of question on Clubsnap will help?
ppl will explain with similar answers, which you won't understand as well since you're "not
familiar with photography terms"...

Anyway Rashkae has pretty much answered your question. No point for me to beat a dead horse.

the many x zoom is called a prosumer p&s camera.

i had written an article comparing the two before, aimed at photographers looking to get either:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282608

it's not really updated to current models, and i can't keep track since the market is exploding with so many cameras today, but i think most of the article (other than individual models) still applies.

DSLR-larger sensor size=better IQ/iso noise control, view finder, can use diff lens for diff needs
Megazoom camera-small sensor size iso can promised till 3200 but infact 800 already very bad noise, cannot change lens...lens zoom usually operated by motor which starts to get wonky after 2 year:bsmilie:

most importantly fundamentally, most dslr use Lithium batt which can shoot over 1K shots(at least for mine) before it runs out of juice, PnS usually juiceless before the memory card is filled.:bsmilie:

Then what makes you think asking that sort of question on Clubsnap will help?
ppl will explain with similar answers, which you won't understand as well since you're "not
familiar with photography terms"...

Anyway Rashkae has pretty much answered your question. No point for me to beat a dead horse.

i'm not sure tat's y need the experts help here la. not everyone come in here is expert in photography ok, u also learn here and there la

the many x zoom is called a prosumer p&s camera.

i had written an article comparing the two before, aimed at photographers looking to get either:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282608

it's not really updated to current models, and i can't keep track since the market is exploding with so many cameras today, but i think most of the article (other than individual models) still applies.

Thanks for the article, at least now i know tat kind of cam is call prosumer :)