wat size to choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

evilboi

Jul 29, 2008
hi there, was wondering wat size (S,M,L)/ quality (fine, normal, raw) to choose/set for taking pics? using d40 and going to wash my pictures to 4R size. is there a difference between the different sizes and quality?

you have a small image size file, can make small print, but can't make big print.

if you have a large image size file, you can make big and small prints.

by right using larger image files setting have many benefits.

using raw file with proper post processing will get best quality out from the camera, of course if you only want to print it on a 4R, only you can tell whether is it really justify the effort to shoot it with a raw file.

anyway, the best way to see the real different is to test it our yourself.

hi there, was wondering wat size (S,M,L)/ quality (fine, normal, raw) to choose/set for taking pics? using d40 and going to wash my pictures to 4R size. is there a difference between the different sizes and quality?

might as well get a cheaper camera, then wont be letting all those mega pixels go to waste...

4R, 2MP is sufficient. :bsmilie:

might as well get a cheaper camera, then wont be letting all those mega pixels go to waste...

4R, 2MP is sufficient. :bsmilie:
some people using a D3 or 1D just like a PnS, and more over many people only post photos in web for showing after shot shot shot, what wrong with only getting 4R prints from a D40? :dunno:

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

i use Large and fine quality.
print 4r most of the time.

some people using a D3 or 1D just like a PnS, and more over many people only post photos in web for showing after shot shot shot, what wrong with only getting 4R prints from a D40? :dunno:

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

yes i agree!
shoot large and still able to do cropping later :)

there are times that i shoot 10MP and cropped to about 3MP for birds!

I would say use the L size and fine settings. You can resize to smaller or even crop and enlarge a portion of your image. Even if your using a 1gb card it will still take quite long for the card to be full unless you shoot several times in a week. Just remember to transfer the pictures to your com or storage device after a few shooting sessions. Lastly no point shooting raw for 4R prints as need to do post processing very troublesome and tiring.

...Lastly no point shooting raw for 4R prints as need to do post processing very troublesome and tiring.

haha its personal preference whether or not we find raw pp troublesome. some people cannot stand pictures with wrong WB etc. and want to correct it. i shoot in JPEG small and RAW

Suggest you always shoot in the BEST mode & size if HDD space isn't a probelm.

Better quality image could be Crop, Edited or print into photo of difference size. :thumbsup: If you use too small an image.... but decided to print large later, you might not be about to do so.

2-Cents worth

is there a difference between the different sizes and quality?

If there were no difference then why would the options be offered in the camera? Check your manual for further details. Usually there's also a recommendation given about which settings to chose for which print size. Personally I use RAW or JPEG with maximum quality settings. It's always possible to scale down a larger image (see "post processing").
In terms of quality you should read more about JPEG image format and JPEG compression to understand the details of quality settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.