wat mode to use in dark moving tunnel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotterdog

Jul 17, 2008
hi, if i need to take pics inside a tunnel eg. disneyland, wat should i shoot e pics in? if i shoot in shutter mode, then e cam might take into acct e speed then ignore e proper lighting & pics may come out dark, if aperture mode, e cam might not capture e right speed. if i set to manual won't have enough x to finetune e speed / aperture as e pic might alridi pass me by so no chance to reshoot. currently not sure bout how fast say e train will travel, but if it's inside tunnel it's close to night mode & not sure if can do panning. so what should i set my cam to? sorry confused, any pros? thanks. :think:

hi, if i need to take pics inside a tunnel eg. disneyland, wat should i shoot e pics in? if i shoot in shutter mode, then e cam might take into acct e speed then ignore e proper lighting & pics may come out dark, if aperture mode, e cam might not capture e right speed. if i set to manual won't have enough x to finetune e speed / aperture as e pic might alridi pass me by so no chance to reshoot. currently not sure bout how fast say e train will travel, but if it's inside tunnel it's close to night mode & not sure if can do panning. so what should i set my cam to? sorry confused, any pros? thanks. :think:

I think your best bet is to set the ISO up to the highest possible (1600 or 3200) or use a flash.

thanks for e reply er any idea where in sg will have this type of environement?:dunno:

In the first place, I'm not sure of how dark you would term it. You'd probably have to spot meter a subject in that situation first before you can roughly guage what you can do to help. Even with high ISO, you'd still lose shutter speed in that kind of dark scenarios and I mean even with low light lenses of say f1.8 or so...

I shoot at night and even with ISO 800, I may be forced to reduce the shutter speed in some scenes to 1/15 @ f1.8. Given a 2 stop increase to ISO 3200, you're gonna get 1/60 only and with a moving platform, you're likely to get blurry pics.

I would suggest using flash (dialled down on the flash ev) coupled with high ISO (about 800 to 1600) and shooting wide open.

In the first place, I'm not sure of how dark you would term it. You'd probably have to spot meter a subject in that situation first before you can roughly guage what you can do to help. Even with high ISO, you'd still lose shutter speed in that kind of dark scenarios and I mean even with low light lenses of say f1.8 or so...

I shoot at night and even with ISO 800, I may be forced to reduce the shutter speed in some scenes to 1/15 @ f1.8. Given a 2 stop increase to ISO 3200, you're gonna get 1/60 only and with a moving platform, you're likely to get blurry pics.

I would suggest using flash (dialled down on the flash ev) coupled with high ISO (about 800 to 1600) and shooting wide open.

thank u, pro, i'll give it a shot.:confused:

I use the idiot method - max ISO and sports mode. ;p

Not sure if people will mind your flash in a dark tunnel? :think:

I use the idiot method - max ISO and sports mode. ;p

Not sure if people will mind your flash in a dark tunnel? :think:

erm sports mode can, but my ISO is auto in that mode,i using Fujifilm S8000 FD, i doubt so bah, not a cinema. if i happen to be panning should my shutter speed be faster or slower btw? :p

erm sports mode can, but my ISO is auto in that mode,i using Fujifilm S8000 FD, i doubt so bah, not a cinema. if i happen to be panning should my shutter speed be faster or slower btw? :p

Panning I think should be slower shutter speed right? :think: Not sure leh..... never tried before. Because if shutter speed fast, it will close before it can even pan (more a snapshot)

I presume you wanna take shots inside like Magic Mountain ride or something ? I think if you're trying to capture expressions of your frens/family, sit in the seat in front and then turn backwards and use the flash. You'd prob get a whizzing background but mebbe a clear enuf portraiture.

If you're shooting the images inside the tunnel, as in like sit in the first car first seats and shoot the direction of motion, try putting your camera on a fixed portion and giving it a more normal metering. If too dark, try rear curtain flash. I think you'd come back with a whizzing tunnel kind of view. Could be quite interesting.

One question first though : Is it safe to have a camera inside the rollercoaster ? Gotta be careful ya....

If you're shooting the images inside the tunnel, as in like sit in the first car first seats and shoot the direction of motion, try putting your camera on a fixed portion and giving it a more normal metering. If too dark, try rear curtain flash. I think you'd come back with a whizzing tunnel kind of view. Could be quite interesting.

If you manage to take this photo please post it, sure like to see the effect! ;) But please make sure your camera and you are safe in the process :bsmilie:

I doubt you can shoot photo in Magic Mountain...maybe It's small world or Pirate of Caribbean....For me flash photography is no no for goodness sack....so I will set to the highest ISO and max aperture my cam will allow to prevent motion blur, focus and white balance will be manual :think:

Panning I think should be slower shutter speed right? :think: Not sure leh..... never tried before. Because if shutter speed fast, it will close before it can even pan (more a snapshot)

haven't try panning either, will try

I presume you wanna take shots inside like Magic Mountain ride or something ? I think if you're trying to capture expressions of your frens/family, sit in the seat in front and then turn backwards and use the flash. You'd prob get a whizzing background but mebbe a clear enuf portraiture.

One question first though : Is it safe to have a camera inside the rollercoaster ? Gotta be careful ya....

hmmm, star wars eh. duno leh, sling round my neck bah hee

If you manage to take this photo please post it, sure like to see the effect! ;) But please make sure your camera and you are safe in the process :bsmilie:

I doubt you can shoot photo in Magic Mountain...maybe It's small world or Pirate of Caribbean....For me flash photography is no no for goodness sack....so I will set to the highest ISO and max aperture my cam will allow to prevent motion blur, focus and white balance will be manual :think:

ok will try to take & post here

hmmm, star wars eh. duno leh, sling round my neck bah hee

If you hang camera round your neck make sure the strap do get tangle anywhere otherwise you will look like this smiley -> ;p

Jokes aside, I had a friend who had his camera strap caught by a chair lift when he got off it and had to 'run' a distance before the people pressed the emergency stop. In your case by the time the emergency stop used, you would have lost your head riding the train!:bsmilie:

Just set to manual mode throughout. Shoot RAW. Changing aperture/shutter speed is but a turn of a dial..

As a side note, please try to type full words next time when asking a question.. Makes live a lot easier for people who're trying to help :sweat:

If you hang camera round your neck make sure the strap do get tangle anywhere otherwise you will look like this smiley -> ;p

Jokes aside, I had a friend who had his camera strap caught by a chair lift when he got off it and had to 'run' a distance before the people pressed the emergency stop. In your case by the time the emergency stop used, you would have lost your head riding the train!:bsmilie:
wow, tat dun sound nice, i'll take note, thanks

Just set to manual mode throughout. Shoot RAW. Changing aperture/shutter speed is but a turn of a dial..

As a side note, please try to type full words next time when asking a question.. Makes live a lot easier for people who're trying to help :sweat:
my camera is a prosumer not a DSLR leh. sorry about e lack of full words, must be too many EMDW in hardwarezone :sweatsm:

my camera is a prosumer not a DSLR leh. sorry about e lack of full words, must be too many EMDW in hardwarezone :sweatsm:

Woots prosumer then I have no idea. Never used a prosumer. What's EMDW?

Woots prosumer then I have no idea. Never used a prosumer. What's EMDW?

erm prosumer cam is like a higher class then simple point & shoot cam & 1 step below DSLR cam, see link below

http://www.jacobsen.no/anders/blog/archives/2004/12/08/what_is_a_prosumer_camera.html

EMDW stands for eat man drink woman, a sub forum of hardwarezone where teens use words like stewpig (stupid), emo (emotional) etc. :bsmilie:

erm prosumer cam is like a higher class then simple point & shoot cam & 1 step below DSLR cam, see link below

http://www.jacobsen.no/anders/blog/archives/2004/12/08/what_is_a_prosumer_camera.html

EMDW stands for eat man drink woman, a sub forum of hardwarezone where teens use words like stewpig (stupid), emo (emotional) etc. :bsmilie:

LOL I know what a prosumer camera is. Just never used it. Awesome I learnt something new today although it sounds pretty useless :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.