Wat is Spot and Evaluative Metering all about?

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Punkie

Can someone tell me wat metering is for? And wat is the difference between Spot and Evaluative Metering. Thanks

Originally posted by Punkie
Can someone tell me wat metering is for? And wat is the difference between Spot and Evaluative Metering. Thanks

In very simple terms, spot measures a very small area of the scene; evaluative measure multiple areas of the scene and gives an average.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang

In very simple terms, spot measures a very small area of the scene; evaluative measure multiple areas of the scene and gives an average.

Regards
CK

Thanks CK for your swift reply. Can you kindly explain to me wat metering is for? Thanks

Originally posted by Punkie

Thanks CK for your swift reply. Can you kindly explain to me wat metering is for? Thanks

In very simple terms again ( ;) ), it's to determine the amount of light coming from your subject scene so as to make the correct exposure on the film (not too bright, not too dark but just nice. hmm....doesn't this sound like something from Goldilocks and the 3 Bears? :) )

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang

Regards
CK

My understanding of evaluative metering is that a small pre-flash is fired, and the camera evaluates the scene and calculates the amount of flash needed for the actual exposure. Matrix or multiple area metering is when multiple segments of the frame are metered and an average is arrived at.

Originally posted by StreetShooter

My understanding of evaluative metering is that a small pre-flash is fired, and the camera evaluates the scene and calculates the amount of flash needed for the actual exposure. Matrix or multiple area metering is when multiple segments of the frame are metered and an average is arrived at.

Isn't what you described E-TTL as opposed to the regular Evaluative (or what Nikon calls Matrix) metering? :) As far as my limited understanding of Canon systems go, the Evaluative mode (whether in TTL or otherwise) still uses multiple segments to evaluate exposure, with weightage applied to the currently selected AF sensor. Right?

Regards
CK

From what I understand, Canon's evaluative metering = Nikon's matrix metering. Nikon also has a step further to include focusing distance information into the metering calculation to make it 3D matrix metering. :)

Originally posted by StreetShooter
I was thinking of E-TTL, yes.

Didn't know that there was a non-E-TTL evaluative mode. Sorry.

That's what you use when you are not shooting with flash, and set the metering to "Evaluative" (as opposed to partial, centre weighted, spot, etc).

Regards
CK

Status
Not open for further replies.