( ) wat is braketing for!??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozkid88

Feb 15, 2007
Australia!
phosgraphe.carbonmade.com
learnt how to set my cam to use bracketing for different settings like WB and what have you but how and when do you use what?? how does it help make pics better??:s TIA

Bracketing is to take multiple shots of different exposure settings. I have not encountered a case where u braket for white balance as u could just take the picture raw. Maybe u would want to tell us which camera ur using so that we can advice u better. :)

i'm using a DSLR oly E330...sorry i did not make my question very clear.. my Qn is....

there are different types of BKT.. theres WB(white balance) BKT/ AE(exposure) BKT and FL(flash) BKT... so how and when do i use what? like in what situations and how are they helpful in making pictures look better??:) thx...

One example of the use of bracketing is in situations where getting the right exposure can be tricky because of inconsistent lighting, so after taking multiple shots, you can review or even edit the pics.

Another example of AE brackting is when you have a bright background, so when you take a shot, you will either have a good background and very dark foreground, or a clear foreground and over-exposed background. By bracketing, you take multiple shots in different exposures, then in post-processing, you put the photos together using programs like Photoshop.

O yes i dun think many ppl do white balance bracketing. U could just shoot in raw and change it later on in post processing

O yes i dun think many ppl do white balance bracketing. U could just shoot in raw and change it later on in post processing

WB bracketing is more for people who shoots in JPEG. ;)

Bracketing is convenient when doing product or food shoots. One shot and you can have 3~5 settings captured. Then sit down with the client to see which setting *they* like, not what you like.

Once upon a time, all photographers have no choice but using FILM. In those days, editing can be done only in the darkroom, which was not very easy (especially for BW films), plus they were doing it with the help of stopwatch and mask only (expose this part longer while covering the rest with a mask, and repeat for other area). They can't see the result until the print goes into the fix bath, washed with running water, and hung on the line and they turn on the light.

For those who doesn't have access to a darkroom, bracketing was very useful, and also wasteful. For example if someone bracket -1,0,1 (using f/stop and/or shutter speed combination) it means he expect that out of the 3 shots, at least one gives him the result he wants. Those who use a better camera, he can bracket -1,-0.7,-0.3,0,0.3,0.7,1 with the hope that one in those seven shots gives him the best result.

To do white balance bracket, usually they used color filters with different strengths, and once again, one exposure for each filter.

Nowadays, we can edit our photos digitally. So bracketing was not popular with digital photographers, even ts is still quite useful in some ways.

The other knowledge that is going to lost in the digital age was the push/pull film processing. I remember when I am learning to use a film (can't remember the name... more than 10 years ago) which was rated ISO 640 but can be pushed or pulled between ISO 200 - ISO 1000.

Those were the days...

Well u could still 'push' or 'pull' digitally :). But i feel that WB bracketing is redundant with raw in the picture as u have better control to use the pictures later on. It also enables u to catch the moment where u could onli take 1 shot. Exposure bracketing i feel is more important

Well u could still 'push' or 'pull' digitally :). But i feel that WB bracketing is redundant with raw in the picture as u have better control to use the pictures later on. It also enables u to catch the moment where u could onli take 1 shot. Exposure bracketing i feel is more important

Not all cameras support RAW. ;)

havent come across a cam with WB bracketing but no RAW

You may be right... Not all shooters shoot in RAW either even if the camera supports RAW files, some might find the support lacking or that their computers being unable to handle the large RAW files. Thus the use of WB bracketing.

Cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.