WAT!! Crap winning (Worse still out of theme!) photos of Courts Shootout?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you guys check out some of CS photo forum recently?
Thats what happens when some of us keep 'encouraging' these budding new photographers despite the junk they post. Now..their works are the benchmark!

Waaoot. Beautiful. ho hoo ho..

Regards

Actually, quality of pictures posted probably went down due to the large increase in the number of people buying DSLRs. Normal la.

Actually, I noticed that the quality of pictures in CS is actually improving these last couple of years. ;)

Hi,

Just want to know your views. Not being a sore loser here that I did not win, if the photos selected are good, I wouldnt complain, but ........... Ok, just have a look at these winning photos (total of 5 themes) , .... especially Nature's Beauty winning photo! How on earth did that Out of Theme Photo win? Thats really atrocious. Judge's english that bad they dont understand what it means?? I feel really really angered that they call this a Photo competition.

Have a look at the Theme "Family" too, does it look well executed, or does it look more like a mere snap and go shot (Look at the flash;shadow)? Also, the My Singapore, My home.

I seen MUCH BETTER EXECUTED photos in the archieve yet those did not win. Whats wrong with the judges?

For the Fashion, and best photograph, at least, it looks decent.

here is the link
http://www.courts.com.sg/Shootout/Winners.aspx
:thumbsd::thumbsd: to the selectors, definitely not photographers !

I hope a huge complain will slam courts photo judges soon

Relac la. Things in the business world is never "straightforward". If you get what I mean. ;)

well. if u dun like, dun join...
why so serious?

beauty is in the eyes of the beholder . . . :think:

they are looking photos which are out of the box. :bsmilie::bsmilie:

For some competitions, winning entries are accompanied by judge's comments, and I always like to read them to learn how the professionals think when they do their judging.

To a certain extent, I can understand where the TS is coming from. I took a quick look through the galleries and could come up with other selections I prefer over the selected winners.

For example, the one that jumped out for me was the one titled "After School" under the Happiest Moments category.
http://www.courts.com.sg/Shootout/PhotoIndividual.aspx?photoid=801
What a waste it released its rights to the organiser without as much as a prize. I'm sure you guys would have other favourites, which underlines how subjective judging a photography competition is.

Eventually, the fact is only the judge's choice that matters.

well. if u dun like, dun join...
why so serious?

haha.. its not that straightforward sometimes. If you mean that one shouldn't always expect to win when joining a competition, I strongly agree.

But being human, its hard not to feel a tinge of indignation/disappointment (call it what you like) if you believe that there are more deserving winners (not necessary yourself).

photography like art is subjective.... it is definitely not easy to please everyone...

just relax and enjoy shooting...

haha.. its not that straightforward sometimes. If you mean that one shouldn't always expect to win when joining a competition, I strongly agree.

But being human, its hard not to feel a tinge of indignation/disappointment (call it what you like) if you believe that there are more deserving winners (not necessary yourself).

always felt that way. but what can you do?:)

the only fair form of competition i feel is an open voting by masses. u dun have to be a geek to know when a photo looks great do u?

always felt that way. but what can you do?:)

the only fair form of competition i feel is an open voting by masses. u dun have to be a geek to know when a photo looks great do u?

Mass voting can a form of popularity contest, sometimes people win by having more friends who bother to vote. As mentioned, there is no winner that would please everyone, so guess we can't be too hung up on most results. :)

Well, it isn't that surprising.

Photography is a subjective thing.

It happens in other areas also. Think our Miss Singapore, Singapore Idol. I even dare vouch even works of professional photographers are sometimes in question.

If you are committed to joining such competitions, accept whatever the results may be. Anyway, note that Courts is not even a professional photography body! So how do you complain?

I look at the pictures. Nothing spectacular but not all that bad either. This is just a normal, non-professional photo competition so all the strict requirements here shouldnt be applied.

Just humble option, anyway who am I to comment what is great and what is not.

Last edited:
Thanks for your inputs, it seems that most of us are unhappy with the result.

Honestly, I am more furious towards the judges; selecters of the photos, than the people whom posted. Of course, every competition will have bad photos/good photos submitted, I do not blame the submitters that they won. Main reason is, why, why do the judges pick out these photos?:thumbsd::thumbsd:

Thanks for your inputs, it seems that most of us are unhappy with the result.

Honestly, I am more furious towards the judges; selecters of the photos, than the people whom posted. Of course, every competition will have bad photos/good photos submitted, I do not blame the submitters that they won. Main reason is, why, why do the judges pick out these photos?:thumbsd::thumbsd:

so they are ok if they pick your photos?

the same things apply actually. maybe next time, you will have a chance to judge, and then you will see people commenting on your judging... then you might consider how it feels. :)

Frankly, I just looked thru the 6 winning images, I think they dont deserve to be winners in a nationwide competition :dunno:

you must know that Singapore's standard of pictures is like that one what... why dont you post yr pictures for a side by side comparison?

you must know that Singapore's standard of pictures is like that one what... why dont you post yr pictures for a side by side comparison?

I agree :bsmilie:

I have seen another competition where the judges only pick those who use fish eye lens :bsmilie:

They should reveal the judges names so that we would know what kind of photos are they expecting if we see the judges names in future competiton :bsmilie:

By the way, the word you should use is "affiliated".

"Afflicted" is only used whey something bad happens, eg. I am afflicted by BBB virus...

I mentioned this because I saw this word come up several times already.

OT,

Thanks for the lead :embrass:

Not that I'm very good or anything, but it looks like most of the shots didn't take much thought or effort. I mean, the banners at Xinmin spoil the nice clouds in the nature's beauty photo.

I do agree with most of what you guys mentioned above but do you ever wonder how terrible the winners will feel if they were to read this? I don't mean to try sound like some super nice guy but if you guys are slamming the judges ... do spare a thought about the winners. :) Peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.