Washer-dryer dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

ady

Nov 21, 2004
My washer-dryer finally washed and dried its last load over the weekend. So now out looking for a new one. I'm not particularly keen to get the same brand again as I'd experienced a lot of problems with the machine as well as service standard from the technicians so am currently looking at either LG or Electrolux. Anyone can provide some feedback on their LG or Electrolux machines?

Am in the market for a washer as well. Shopping at Courts yesterday and was introduced to the French brand Brandt. It is a drum washer, with a top load.

Having used a conventional top load machine, I got tired of having my clothes spun and inter-locked. The drum washer, which usually comes with a front load design, washes clothes cleaner due to the 'drop' action as opposed to the 'spin' action of conventional top loads, and doesn't cause the clothes to be interwinned together.

You might like to check it out. Unfortunately, there ain't much information on Brandt on the web. There ain't a dpreview of home applicance unfortunately.

I got a friend relocating who is trying to sell her Electrolux dryer. Quick sale necessary as she's leaving this Sun! But it's only the dryer, not a washer cum dryer so I'm not sure if it suits your purpose. PM me if interested.

Tert & Syrinx - I'm actually looking for a washer cum dryer, 2-in-1. Unfortunately I don't have enough space for separate units. *sigh*

Nickmak - What happened to your Electrolux front loader that you're not recommending it?

Any other feedback, anyone - on either LG or Electrolux washer cum dryer, 2-in-1?

I would recommend Fisher & Paykel for both the washer and dryer. The washer is very economical (saves water). When i bought mine there was a 5 yr warranty period. Don't know whether they stll have that offer. :)

Hi Ady,

Can tell us what brand is your washer? (So that we can avoid buying that brand?) How long have you used it?

For me, have been using a Bosch front loading washing machine. Capacity is 6kg. It's been running for 4 years now, no problems.

For those 2 in 1 washer cum dryer types, you must bear in mind that if the max washing load is 6kg, the dryer load will be half, 3kg. Dunno about you, but I hate to have half a load of wet clothes while the other half is drying....

funksoulava said:
Hi Ady,

Can tell us what brand is your washer? (So that we can avoid buying that brand?) How long have you used it?

Hope it's not Fisher & Paykel ;P :(

got a LG frontloading washer ... used for 2 years ... still going strong

got a F&P dryer at the same time ... a capacitor decided to blow approx 15 days before the warantee ends ... called the service dept up and they sent someone down the same day ... fixed it for free.
If warantee is up, would have cost $25.00
( think this is a common problem with the dryers cause they can tell from the symptoms )

I'm using a Thomson top loader and Brandt dryer. Brandt supposed to be a cheaper cousin of Thomson. Anyway, I bought them solely for space consideration. Thomson washer tend to be thinner and smaller for the same load as compared to the spin type. And drum-type uses hot water also to have a cleaner clean. But more energy consuming.

Hi! Andy,
there is a new "Panasonic" washer cum dryer model NA-V80 just launched in Singapore if you visit Panasonic Singapore website under the product
Appliances : Home : Washer
FEATURES
Washing Capacity - 8.0Kg
Drying Capacity - 4.5Kg
World First 300 Tilted Drum
Washer / Dryer
Water Savings
(Maximum water usage in every wash is 110L only)
Soft-Tumbling Washing
Sanitizing Drying - 900C
Quiet Operation
Washing - 31dB
Drying - 45dB
12 Programmed Cycle Selection
(Normal, Soft Dry, Innerwear, Half Dry, Speedy W/D, My Favorite, Heavy, Speedy, Soak, Delicate, Blanket, Tub Dry)
Spin Speed - 900r/min
You may consider it if the price is not a problem. You can also access Matsushita corporate website for more details and the link is as follows:
http://www.panasonic.co.jp/corp/news/official.data/data.dir/en040915-4/en040915-4.html
Patrick

nickmak said:
We had an Electrolux front loader... Its not recommended...

yar can u share why not?
i thought front loads are better and electrolux are recommended for front loading washers.

brandt for top loads.

funksoulava - Ariston (I think 7-8 yrs old?) The machine only really lasted for about 4-5 years and everything started to break down from there. The inside of my machine is like a Rolls Royce, nearly every part has been replaced before but I suspect the motor has finally croaked ... a second time. Not replacing that again. So overall, the replacement parts to date only lasted about 2-3 years.

hhho - Waaah! That machine is currently at SGD1,999 in the market! Can buy D70 already-loh! Haha... But then if you think about it, the D70 can't do the washing and drying!

C'mon ppl... help me... help me... any other feedback on a washer cum dryer (2-in-1 machine)? Say the LG or Electrolux?

happen to have the electrolux product guide with me. they have two frontload washer dryer
EW 970W
5.5kg, 900 rpm, adjustable thermostat, aqua shower washing system and a lot more description. too long to type
EW 1290 W
6.5kg, 1200 rpm, adjustable thermostat, jet + spray washing system

www.electrolux.com.sg

and i'm not a electrolux salesperson. just a potential user so i have their pdt guide. :)

hitachi...anyhow use also can :bsmilie:

eric69 said:
I'm using a Thomson top loader and Brandt dryer. Brandt supposed to be a cheaper cousin of Thomson. Anyway, I bought them solely for space consideration. Thomson washer tend to be thinner and smaller for the same load as compared to the spin type. And drum-type uses hot water also to have a cleaner clean. But more energy consuming.

Eric, could you comment on how you find the brand, erm ... Brandt? This washer that I am eyeing is rather compact as you have mentioned above. It can do a 5kg load but from just visually eyeballing the drum, it seems rather small as compare to the spinner that I'm currently using. I was told that thought the drum seem to be small, it can take a rather large load.

TIA!

i know money is never too much
but if you can spare it ... go for one of those larger ones
( say 10kg load )
it's never enough... i think i've got the 7kg LG one
but now my sofa set ( one piece 6 sitter ) cover cannot fit in : (
check with laundry ( at imm ) cost approx $100++ to wash : (

ady said:
funksoulava - Ariston (I think 7-8 yrs old?) The machine only really lasted for about 4-5 years and everything started to break down from there. The inside of my machine is like a Rolls Royce, nearly every part has been replaced before but I suspect the motor has finally croaked ... a second time. Not replacing that again. So overall, the replacement parts to date only lasted about 2-3 years.

hhho - Waaah! That machine is currently at SGD1,999 in the market! Can buy D70 already-loh! Haha... But then if you think about it, the D70 can't do the washing and drying!

C'mon ppl... help me... help me... any other feedback on a washer cum dryer (2-in-1 machine)? Say the LG or Electrolux?
Looks like you already made up your mind: LG or Electrolux.......if you really want quality Bosch should be the top but pricewise too! I don't know if his plays a part: the high humidiy in SG is no good for electronics, could this play a big part in bad experiences people here had? Considering that in many (private) apartments the machines are outside?

HS

Well, people, I finally settled for the 6.5 kg Electrolux washer-dryer (I never actually saw the Bosch at the places I've been). Ordered Thursday, got it delivered Friday. So far so good. The wash and dry cycles are fairly quiet compared to my previous machine. At the end of either the wash and dry cycles, the machine will beep to let me know that everything's finished. I also found the wash cycle quite efficient and effective - clothes come out cleaner, especially shirt collars and sleeves. The spin cycle is also very good - clothes comes out nearly dry at 1200 rpm. As for the control panel - no knobs, just buttons. They're fairly straight forward. Overall, I'm quite happy with my purchase. The delivery ppl were also very good - very professional and very careful and I also got a demo/training session from an Electrolux person plus two small packets of low suds detergent. Oh yes, the funny thing is that the new machine smells like a new car! Weird... *laugh*

Status
Not open for further replies.