Was the 50s your era?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting site.
Nope not my era.
But have heard some of the songs.

In the 1950s USA was a world power after second world war.
Japan and Germany were probably under occupation in 1950s.
I have seen cameras with "Made in Occupied West Germany"
and "Made in Occupied Japan".

USA then was enjoying a standard of living much higher than most of the world. Singapore was still an undeveloped place. Under British colonial rule. Many farms, urban slums, villages, attap huts and secret gangster societies. Singapore was dirt poor then. Much unemployment.

You can see that Television was a burgeoning home appliance in the US. How it has grown. Now it is a powerful medium.

One thing you can see already is that by 1950s USA was into "innovation". It is with this that they have retained their world power and high living standards to this day.

USA was quite inward looking in 1950s, since there is so much to enjoy in their own country. And they were dead scared plus obssessed with fighting the spread of communism and the cold war with Russia.

Now they know more of Asia.

I was still swimming in my father's balls :bsmilie:

Interesting site.
Nope not my era.
But have heard some of the songs.

In the 1950s USA was a world power after second world war.
Japan and Germany were probably under occupation in 1950s.
I have seen cameras with "Made in Occupied West Germany"
and "Made in Occupied Japan".

USA then was enjoying a standard of living much higher than most of the world. Singapore was still an undeveloped place. Under British colonial rule. Many farms, urban slums, villages, attap huts and secret gangster societies. Singapore was dirt poor then. Much unemployment.

You can see that Television was a burgeoning home appliance in the US. How it has grown. Now it is a powerful medium.

One thing you can see already is that by 1950s USA was into "innovation". It is with this that they have retained their world power and high living standards to this day.

USA was quite inward looking in 1950s, since there is so much to enjoy in their own country. And they were dead scared plus obssessed with fighting the spread of communism and the cold war with Russia.

Now they know more of Asia.

Hi Ricohflex,
Thats quite abit of history here. Thanks for sharing.

Well, I do know quite a handful of people who still listen to songs of the 50s. Songs will always bring back memories whether or not an individual who listens to them are from that era. :D

I was still swimming in my father's balls :bsmilie:

Thats an interesting way to describe your age. Perhaps old songs are more than just being old. Songs do speak of culture, politics and war.

Have you seen the latest dick lee songs @ youtube? 60yrs from now, it may be irrelevant.

There was nothing really good about the 1950s, unless you were a white man in the U.S.A. As chaotic it is, I'd rather be in 2007 and enjoy some racial equity in the U.S.A.

I just missed the 50's.

However, don't dump the 50's or the 60's. Without the civil right movements during those "interesting" times, I doubt the racial situation in the US will be where it is today.

The 50's is a time where the US came of age. It was their coming out party. It's a very interesting time. Innovations were the name of the game. Everything technological we take for granted to day, can be traced directly to the US during the 50's. And yet, it was also a period of extreme social conservatism and skeptism. Technological advances and the seeds for social revolutions made the 50's an intersting time in history.

I just missed the 50's.

However, don't dump the 50's or the 60's. Without the civil right movements during those "interesting" times, I doubt the racial situation in the US will be where it is today.

The 50's is a time where the US came of age. It was their coming out party. It's a very interesting time. Innovations were the name of the game. Everything technological we take for granted to day, can be traced directly to the US during the 50's. And yet, it was also a period of extreme social conservatism and skeptism. Technological advances and the seeds for social revolutions made the 50's an intersting time in history.

It is history!!

The 50's (in the US) is one of my favourite decades (I was too young to be around then, of course).
Marilyn Monroe
Elvis
B-52 (the bomber, not the band) My favourite airplane ;p
Shark-finned cars
A time when men were men and women were women.

It was the end of innocence. After the 50's, it all went downhill -- drugs, hippies, Vietnam war, civil rights movement, lying US presidents (still have those around :bsmilie:).

Over here in SG, the 50's were about communists, secret societies, unemployment, pretty depressing.

I just missed the 50's.

I'll give you the technology but the 1950s weren't nice times, despite the t.v. programmes and films of the time. We're finally seeing some black prisoners set free now for crimes they didn't commit. Whites and other races talk freely now and personally, I'm glad that I'm not being beaten every day as I was in the 1960s just because I wasn't white enough.

Sorry to dump on the 1950s. My parents had a 1959 Cadillac with the biggest tailfins you can imagine and I enjoyed washing the car when I was old enough. That thing was probably as long as 3 Smart cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.