Was it worth it to attend ClickArt ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leongfm

Feb 12, 2003
www.pbase.com
To those fellow members who attended the ClickArt event/workshops last weekend, did you find it useful?

I was thinking of participating but not sure if I would benefit from the event with my current skills so I did not sign up. I hope you could share your experience attending this event? In particular, was the workshop by Steve McCurry good?

Thanks.

Regards
FM

No one willing to share your experience at this event? Thanks.

Worth? Well, both yes and no

On the positive side, I met many local and foreign photographers. Observe them at work... learnt that
1)the Americans all use 1Ds and
2)the New Zealanders have an unusual approach to subjects; and that they are the lord of the rings (both zoom and aperture)
3)the INdonesians who are always ready to stop and chat
4)the Malaysians who are humble about equipment but strong in their composition
5)the French who are passionate about expression

On the negative side,
1)HOrrible organisation from NAC
2)Bad judging from open to closed sessions and the omission of international judges
3)A less than impressive Steve (I always felt he was the weak link in MAgnum...)

I attended workshops by Chip Simons and Tay Kay Chin. Being workshop, it was not really a workshop. Duration is scheduled one hour long. No hands-on. It is more teach and tell session with attendees sitting down and asking questions.

Such workshops should be at least 4-5 hours long. A hotel function room with 'low' ceiling may not be ideal. I would have preferred it to be held at hotel banquet room with high ceiling or at professional studios.

Chip brought his gears along and attempted to demonstrate their use. But he was unable to do so due to time constraint. Tay Kay Chin's was essential a slideshow presentation with narration by him.

Overall, I gained fresh insights from Chip's session. He started with small and inexpensive lights from motor workshops. His 'free' subject were dogs in New Mexico. He promotes himself by wearing a white t-shirt with 'Chip Simons Photography Tel xxxxxx' on front and back. For $75 a workshop and learning from someone who travelled from US, it was well worth it. To attend a photography workshop in the US, it would have cost a few thousand dollars.

I attended workshops by Chip Simons and Tay Kay Chin, found that the time was too short for both of them. It was like rushing through the presentation and have to attend the keynotes address by Steve McCurry following the workshops.

I attended the shotouts and saw Chip Simons using the lighting techniques, it was really an insight when he did it on the opera makeup artists. A pity I do not have my tripod with me at that moment :(

Ahh .. the weather for both shotout days was lousy but then there were still many interesting images to take during raining days. It was an experience gained anyway seeing how the foreigners shoots during bad weather. They are really going all the way out there .....

There are still room for improvement for the organisers.

Overall I would said it was a good experience to attend the ClickArt 2003.

sebastiansong said:

On the positive side, I met many local and foreign photographers. Observe them at work... learnt that
2)the New Zealanders have an unusual approach to subjects; and that they are the lord of the rings (both zoom and aperture)

On the negative side,
2)Bad judging from open to closed sessions and the omission of international judges
3)A less than impressive Steve (I always felt he was the weak link in MAgnum...)

to add on with the negative side, the locals (be it PR or sg citizen) usually suck. :sweat: or at least those locals whom i've encountered.. stuck up and full of farty air.

KNIGHT ONG said:
There are still room for improvement for the organisers.

Overall I would said it was a good experience to attend the ClickArt 2003.

ditto! :thumbsup:

Pixatrix said:
to add on with the negative side, the locals (be it PR or sg citizen) usually suck. :sweat: or at least those locals whom i've encountered.. stuck up and full of farty air.

they shy mah... but locals tend to hang with themselves. I was the black sheep and said hi to nearly everyone who don give me the stare.

interestingly some white men are very snobbish and acted blur when I said hi to them.... despite everything I made friends from Germany, India, Turkey, New Zealand, Malaysia, Indonesia and Brunei. Pity I did get to know any Filipinos and Thais...

Hi Folks

Thanks for sharing your interesting experience at ClickArt 2003. BTW, how was the photoshoot sessions? Were there any constructive critiques?

Sebestian...your observations about the "friendliness" of participants from different parts of the world is the same as what I experienced in tradeshows or conferences that I attended in my industry (telecom). I noticed that people from SE Asian countries generally tend to be more friendly but a bit reserve initially whereas participants from those faraway countries tend to behave in a high and mighty way (except when they want to sell you something).

FM

I am a bit disappointed. With well over a thousand images submitted for the competition, we only got to see 15 winning images during the closing dinner. It will be more interesting to see what others photographers took during the shootout, so that we have a chance to learn from each others from a different perspective.

Wonder any news from the organiser to let us have a chance to view the images or catalogue them for viewing on the internet ???? :think:

sebastiansong said:
they shy mah... but locals tend to hang with themselves. I was the black sheep and said hi to nearly everyone who don give me the stare...

Yeap .... I am a bit shy and quiet by nature probably I grown up in Kampong village. I didn't do much networking and only hangs out with those photographers I am comfortable with. Not very good in PR skills .... well life still goes on ....

sebastiansong said:

On the negative side,

To add, the Vietnamese photographer are very warm and friendly. he even give out free distributions of a magazine on SEA games. sebastiansong had mentioned photographers from many country but how about representatives from China? :sweat: :blah: :sweat:

I am impressed with our local press photographers who won some of the awards. Congratulations to them and wish Bob's personel (I think) photo exhibition will be a success.

forbytes said:
To add, the Vietnamese photographer are very warm and friendly. he even give out free distributions of a magazine on SEA games. sebastiansong had mentioned photographers from many country but how about representatives from China? :sweat: :blah: :sweat:

Actually the Chinese were okay... they tend to hang around probably due to language constraints but they are generally ok... I had one of their contact but being a typical Brudder... I swung to the wild bunch, i.e., the fun and loud gang.

sebastiansong said:
Actually the Chinese were okay... they tend to hang around probably due to language constraints but they are generally ok... I had one of their contact but being a typical Brudder... I swung to the wild bunch, i.e., the fun and loud gang.

Which table were you sitting during the closing dinner ?

Eight is my lucky number .... cheers

Your behind the scene photo looks interesting.

sebastiansong said:

Eh brudder, you talking about me huh? :D
Overall, I think it was just a so-so event. Could have been better though.
I also think the workshops should be longer, with more time for discussions and hands on if need be. I attended Steve's and Kay Chin's talks. Steve as always is not much of a speaker although his portraits say a lot. Kay Chin's talk was more lively with 'interesting' shots. Those who attended would know what I mean.

I felt that the shootouts were a bit more like walkabouts for tourists. Maybe because I'm a local and I want to see something different like the studio and backstage arrangements. I think the winning shots were good but I would love to see all the works that were submiitted.

Btw, I only know Sebastian, Knight, AJ23 and Koch from CS who were there. I guess next time we should meet up first and then invade those foreign bodies huh? :bsmilie:

KNIGHT ONG said:
Which table were you sitting during the closing dinner ?

Eight is my lucky number .... cheers

Your behind the scene photo looks interesting.

:bigeyes: Sebastian is sitting on the same table as you, and so am I. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.