Was I scammed? Is this tripod model even for sale?

Status
Not open for further replies.

velasco

Jul 7, 2006
PARISris , Singapore
ukellyclarkson.com
Good afternoon guys!

Just trying to enquire pertaining to the purchase of tripod before a trip. ( last minute shopping)

I bought a tripod last week at Parisilk , Bedok. The sales person recommended me a Nikon SL 168 (ROHS) tripod priced at 58 bucks.

Upon reaching home, I asked about the retail price here and some users replied that that was a cut throat price while another user mentioned he got the tripod as a complement with a purchase of his nikon camera and hence, this model is not for sale.

So if the shop sells me this, isn't it not legit in the first place?
Me, being a noob at camera accessories bought it and 5 hours later, a metal piece (scrwelike) dropped off from the tripod. I realized that some of the gaps have greases overflowing on the sides while the adjuster lever seems very tight to rotate. Looks like a second hand piece.

I called back the shop asking if they sell the same model ( pretending i'm interested) to check on the price and he can't quote me a price so i suspect the shop anyohow quote prices on the spot. :angry:

I'm going to order ND filters there too and asked if it would reach 100 bucks for a 58mm thread he said around that price. is that true? :think:

should i go back and clarify matters?

Of course you were scammed. If you even THINK you're being scammed, why would you even bother going back to them for ND filters?

Are you walking around with a big carrot over your head?

Of course you were scammed. If you even THINK you're being scammed, why would you even bother going back to them for ND filters?

Are you walking around with a big carrot over your head?

Really? so the tripod should not be at that price and its not a sale-able item? hehe

and wow, are you psychic? Thats my masterplan! Operation Giant Carrot:cool:

Good afternoon guys!

Just trying to enquire pertaining to the purchase of tripod before a trip. ( last minute shopping)

I bought a tripod last week at Parisilk , Bedok. The sales person recommended me a Nikon SL 168 (ROHS) tripod priced at 58 bucks.

Upon reaching home, I asked about the retail price here and some users replied that that was a cut throat price while another user mentioned he got the tripod as a complement with a purchase of his nikon camera and hence, this model is not for sale.

So if the shop sells me this, isn't it not legit in the first place?
Me, being a noob at camera accessories bought it and 5 hours later, a metal piece (scrwelike) dropped off from the tripod. I realized that some of the gaps have greases overflowing on the sides while the adjuster lever seems very tight to rotate. Looks like a second hand piece.

I called back the shop asking if they sell the same model ( pretending i'm interested) to check on the price and he can't quote me a price so i suspect the shop anyohow quote prices on the spot. :angry:

I'm going to order ND filters there too and asked if it would reach 100 bucks for a 58mm thread he said around that price. is that true? :think:

should i go back and clarify matters?

there are price lists in the others section here

they haven't been updated but as a rough guide, should not differ more than $20 from original for larger ticket items, and not more than $10 for filters.

nd filter, it really depends on what nd filter you are talking about. nd4 and nd8 are much much cheaper than the powerhouse nd400.

58mm nd filters are cheap, definitely less than $30, price list quotes $18, i remember cp quoted me $20 last year this time.

go figure, there is a reason why people only go to trusted shops.. caveat emptor. btw, sale or not for sale, it doesn't really matter. buyer happy, seller happy.. as long as it 's not a promotional item given to them by the company which they haven't been giving out.. frankly, i don't see any issue.

as for tripods, at the very least you should be getting a slik sprint pro.. any of those rickety weird camera brand tripods usually cmi, if you don't mind me saying.

Last edited:
Do a search in B & S section for you to have an idea of the price of the item. Or better not... :angel:

Last edited:
omg so i got ripped off into buying an el cheapo el tripodo which should not even be for resello. omg im a noobibo.

to think that he have the cheek to say that its the best hahaha im so gullibello.
should i go back to confronto?

Last edited:
The fact that after you suspect being scammed, you still wanna go back there and order ND filters proves you are an easy one to scam. :think:

omg so i got ripped off into buying an el cheapo el tripodo which should not even be for resello. omg im a noobibo.

to think that he have the cheek to say that its the best hahaha im so gullibello.

good tripods don't c ost $58..

good and light carbon fibre tripods cost up to a thousand quid, and that's the ones i've heard of.. :bsmilie: i don't want to find out about the ones i haven't heard of.

The fact that after you suspect being scammed, you still wanna go back there and order ND filters proves you are an easy one to scam. :think:

:bsmilie::bsmilie:

can't disagree with that.

velasco - confrontations seldom bear any positive fruit, and you got lucky, it's still a small ticket item. the most you got scammed for is $58. er, if every cloud has a silver lining, i guess this has to be it.

Tat's a freebie item tat I would avoid....

very wobbly....

haha i know. i mean best of the "budgetpods".
as soon as i reached KL, a RM25-RM80 tripods galore greeted me and i knew that there will be cranky days to come :D

cause i cannot find anywhere selling ND filters already argh. i need it by saturday :(

anyways, do you think that its a good move to go back clarify things nicely?

evil sellers picking on semi noob looking strange zombified face shoppers.
now im 58 bucks lesser in my savings for a DSLR. ebil meeno.

Last edited:
anyways, do you think that its a good move to go back clarify things nicely?

let's be mature and rational, what result do you expect to achieve, if any?

the best case scenario is that they return you your $58.. and believe me, that's like after smoking a few dream pipes.

if a person can overcharge you in that manner.. would you trust in his ability to be nice afterward and say he's sorry and that he will give you a free manfrotto? no, i would not.

just move on, stick to cathay if you need it fast, they charge slightly more but at least not that much.. else there's always lord's, john 3:16, orient photo.. singapore is small by anyone's standards, and there's always the weekends.

and some advice - don't ever, walk into any shop asking for prices if you do not have any inkling of what they are. and worse still, don't go in and quote a price from the air.. for example, if i walk into a stationery shop and ask for a red leaf pen that "i heard costs $100".. obviously the lady will be more than happy to make your day by giving you a 40% discount (i.e. $60) and have a very nice lunch that day.

Last edited:
In any case, he quoted you a price, and you agreed and paid for it. You can't possibly go back and say "hey you cheated me" because you agreed to it.

I would suggest not even going back there, and please do some research on filter prices. It's readily available here on CS. Then go to a reputable shop in City Hall (by reputable I mean Cathay Photo, TK Foto, John 3:16 or MS Color, NOT shops like Worldwide Camera or those at Lucky Plaza) and get your filters.

Last edited:
har, $58 tripod? I don't even dare to mount my camera on it....

what brand 58mm ND filter cost $100? singh-ray izit?

lol. for me i can mount it even on a 9.75bucks one. No prolemo. Don't use tripod much.

and wait. SINGH ray? Are you suggesting based on racial slurs? :nono:

lol. for me i can mount it even on a 9.75bucks one. No prolemo. Don't use tripod much.

and wait. SINGH ray? Are you suggesting based on racial slurs? :nono:

it's

a

brand

that owns.

us$150 for a gnd filter. thereabouts anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.