Warranty vs No warranty for Tamron lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

soons

Mar 22, 2007
Hi,

I wish to know if a Tamron lens is bought locally, how long will the warranty be like and who is the distributor of the lens?

I wish to purchase a Tamron 17-50mm lens, but I on deciding to choose if I should buy first hand from shop with warranty or just buy from CS. CS's 17-50mm mostly does not have warranty.

Will lens spoil that easily? For first time, I am about to spend $500 and I do feel a little uncomfortable for an $500 without official warranty...:dunno:

Could you mind giving me your opinion on this? Thanks.

I have the first verson of the 17-50mmm lens w/o motor for i think 2 years now.
No problem at all with the lens.

For lens purchase w/o warranty, I'm more concern about those lenses with built-in motor, more moving parts may equal to more problems, more likely to break down.

If you want peace of mind, then you know what the answer is. ;)

In US Tamron is 6 years warranty and not really that expensive to send back for repair.

you buy local, can try and try different sets till you are happy but warranty shorter.

I thnk the new Tamron cost about $600, if you're feeling that uncomfortable, get the new piece.

FYI, most of my lens are 2nd hand. No issues so far. Lens dun fail easily probably cos mine no built in motor.

Local Tamron agent is JEL Corp.

Warrenty for a local set is 3 years (look for the local warranty card that states JEL Corp and 3 years warranty).

I went to correct my tammy 17-55's front focusing issue with them yesterday, 20 minutes and it's spot on. If you get a blur copy, it can be corrected also but needs more time as it has to be sent back to Japan to recalibrate.

If no warranty, I don't know if it will cost anything to be service.

Cheers

Thanks people. I am getting a canon mount for my 350D. Guess I will settle down with a local set with warranty or 2nd hand with remainding warranty.

Any tips or links to check lens that does not have front or back focusing issue?? Are tamron's QC really as unreliable compared to original manufacturer??

Thanks people. I am getting a canon mount for my 350D. Guess I will settle down with a local set with warranty or 2nd hand with remainding warranty.

Any tips or links to check lens that does not have front or back focusing issue?? Are tamron's QC really as unreliable compared to original manufacturer??

According to what Tamron told me when I asked the same question ... it's something to do with firmware (or some values), certain values from certain factories works well, some doesn't. So if your set have front/back focusing issue, they will load the different value to get the one that works well.

That's the gist of it, sorry can't explain more clearly but mine is focusing correctly now :p

I thnk the new Tamron cost about $600, if you're feeling that uncomfortable, get the new piece.

FYI, most of my lens are 2nd hand. No issues so far. Lens dun fail easily probably cos mine no built in motor.

I'm probably like you... I only have one lens that's first hand. And even that is out of warranty lol

I see, research on front-focusing and I got this:
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1019&message=2802919

So I suppose it is an issue of the lens focus what it isn't suppose to focus and blurs what it is suppose to focus. :/
Crossing hard if I were to get a tamron, it is a good combo. :X

Thanks for all your valuable replies!

Status
Not open for further replies.