Warranty card/receipt

Status
Not open for further replies.

kentwong81

Jun 18, 2010
Singapore
Hi,

When buying a warranty-expired 2nd hand lens, is it critical to get a warranty card or receipt with date of purchase indicated from the buyer to prove the age of the lens despite the lens looks good in condition? :think:

It would just be for your own curiosity at that point. But lens age doesn't matter so long as it's fungus-free, etc. Some of my lenses are almost 25 years old and work perfectly fine.

Hi,

When buying a warranty-expired 2nd hand lens, is it critical to get a warranty card or receipt with date of purchase indicated from the buyer to prove the age of the lens despite the lens looks good in condition? :think:

if the warranty's already expired, then the card and the reciept is of no use.

If its just to prove it age, then it depends on how important that is to you. To me if's its in good condition, it doesnt matter if the lens is 10 or 20 years ok. As long as it can still produce good picures.

Unless the seller sells at the 2nd hand price that is close to the brand new price and says that the lens is only 15mths old. But in that case, if you are concern about the age, just go get a new one. if the 2nd price is very attractive, then the age of the lens shouldnt matter. you've got to give and take

For 2nd hand lenses, as long as it still functions and appears as new one, I would buy. Receipt of purchase is just to ensure that seller is giving accurate information of the age of the lens.:)

Hi,

Lenses being optical won't degrade over time unlike camera bodies. Warranty card and/or receipt merely show you the age and nothing more. As long as it is fungus free and scratches free, I don't see why you should be so concerned over the age. Some of my many manual lenses are older than 20YO and still working fine.:cool:

Thanks all for clearing my doubts. ;)

This thread is now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.