Warranty card filled or not filled?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tokrot

Jun 2, 2003
Hi Everyone,

Got one question. Saw many sellers in Buy and Sell section did not fill in the warranty card. As such, does the shop or service centre honor that? What's being not filling in warranty card? Being able to extend beyond the date you bought? Why so many buyers/sellers emphasis on not filling in? Care to shred your opinions thanks. :angel:

an unfilled and unposted warranty card(not complying with the instructions herein) is as good as having bought an equipment with no warranty whatsoever.

there is no such thing as an 'extended' warranty period. full stop. do not be deceived by such claim.

Most service centre will insist u to provide them with receipt along with the warranty card. Hey, if u can think of ways to 'cheat', so can others.

evq said:
Most service centre will insist u to provide them with receipt along with the warranty card. Hey, if u can think of ways to 'cheat', so can others.

Yes, that's my point. Why so many ppl selling in Buy and Sell saying Warranty card not filled. Isn't that a disadvantage? Don't get me wrong, I always fill up my cards and post them whether necessary. ;p

I never fill up any cards and I never post any ;p

However, I do like unfilled cards as they don't have names and it's easier to claim it's yours than somebody's. :) If you get what I mean. :)

do they asked to check your ic and matched against the owner's particulars on the warranty card? i have never encountered.

thinking further. if you do need service later and well within the warranty period and immediately submit the warranty card before presenting the 'faulty' equipment to the service centre. would it still protect you and your equipment? in my view, it would not as the condition/s for completion and posting of the warranty card was not complied with, thus invalidating the warranty from day one. none the wiser.

i know it is your preference and it is still your choice.

espn said:
I never fill up any cards and I never post any ;p

However, I do like unfilled cards as they don't have names and it's easier to claim it's yours than somebody's. :) If you get what I mean. :)

So u mean u are likely to sell your gears so that you won't get blacklist by name and won't get nuisance calls during midnights.. :bsmilie: in case your equipment fail..

reachme2003 said:
an unfilled and unposted warranty card(not complying with the instructions herein) is as good as having bought an equipment with no warranty whatsoever.

there is no such thing as an 'extended' warranty period. full stop. do not be deceived by such claim.

I see most ppl probably want unfilled warranty if doesn't require to post. So that the seller can sell his gears without his name on it... Do u think likewise too? :)

I can only speak from my experience as a Nikon user at the Nikon Service Centre. Whether the warranty card is filled or not does not make a difference because when you send in your camera for repair, they will insist on the date you purchase your camera based on the receipt and not on the date you filled in the warranty card. Hence such claims of unfilled warranty card in the buy/sell section does not "add value" to the 2nd hand item being sold and hence do not be deluded.

Another point in mind: during my last visit to Nikon service centre, one lamer tried to cheat by claiming the receipt is lost and that the camera is just bought last month. Nikon Service Centre promptly dealt with the problem by telling him that if the receipt cannot be found, they will assume the camera is bought on the date of manufacture from the Nikon factory by matching the serial number against their database. The lame photographer was shocked and promptly said he would go back and try to find the reciept again and actually hold back his request to have his camera serviced on that day... :dunno:

So as a wise consumer in this Buy/Sell forum, do not be tricked by the so called unclaimed warranty... it's useless.... get the reciept is more important as proof of purchase...

Agree with espn. Unfilled warranty cards means that if you sell the item within the warranty period, the new owner can fill up his own name on the card should any problems arise and there be a need to send the item back to the service centre. It's not so much as to 'cheat' for extended warranty period. They have asked for identification when I sent my camera and lenses to Canon before.

Although if you know the shop owners you could ask them to issue you a new copy of the receipt when your item fails and it needs to be serviced, effectively 'extending' that usual 1 year warranty period.

So unfilled warranty card is always better. Just make sure the shop dealer chops the portion which indicates company stamp. the rest of the stuff dosen't have to be filled unless you're sending the item in for servicing.

tokrot :kok: No, it just means that at least the item has no name on the warranty card, I'd hate to have a piece of equipment who's warranty card has somebody's else name on it ;p

What CP said about NSC is correct, receipt + card, else they'd just date it date of manufacture.

reachme2003 said:
do they asked to check your ic and matched against the owner's particulars on the warranty card? i have never encountered.

Nope. They won't do that. The receipt with the date of purchase is the most important. Of course you cannot cheat with the receipt as I believed the transaction number on the reciept is also recorded when the warranty card is first time registered in the database, correct me if I am wrong cos I noticed the guy at Nikon service centre keying in my transaction record into their database when I first sent my registration in person since I wanted to go down to service my camera at the same time.

Besides, people do buy cameras as gift to their loved ones and hence a filled warranty card in the buyer's name can be used by the next owner (the loved ones) without any problems....

tokrot said:
I see most ppl probably want unfilled warranty if doesn't require to post. So that the seller can sell his gears without his name on it... Do u think likewise too? :)

not at all. an unfilled and unposted warranty within the window period provided is as good as invalidating the warranty FROM DAY ONE by non-compliance.

unfilled card doesn't always work. But it does sometimes, just gotta work it rite.

Oh dammit, i lost my recipt for my D70!
Any cure for it? :(

i din fill mine for anything i buy, but got into quite a nasty issue with the big 4 letters with S in front...

strange is Konica Minolta's D7D & its lens does not require to fill/send warranty card. just the receipt will do, but thing is, i wonder should i if ever sell my lens & body separately, how to divide the receipt...

Virgo said:
How about Canon Service Center huh? What do they check? Warranty? Receipt? IC?

i haven send any of my canon cameras to the service centre yet... /me go touch wood...

the printer service is good, any minor problems will come on site, and they will just view the warranty card even without it filled, or they look at the date on the receipt.

Thanx for sharing.

Any other ppl who has got their Canon photography equipment serviced b4?

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
i haven send any of my canon cameras to the service centre yet... /me go touch wood...

the printer service is good, any minor problems will come on site, and they will just view the warranty card even without it filled, or they look at the date on the receipt.

Status
Not open for further replies.