Warning To Sls Shoppers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romulus

Feb 27, 2002
Khon Kaen, Thailand
www.damianeva.org
My friend had her bag cut and her handphone stolen at SLS yesterday! :angry:
So please everyone who shops there be careful, not just for yourself but for innocent shoppers too! REPORT ANY SUSPICIOUS ACTIVITY!

heard about this in HK, Shen Zhen.. This method has been used by Mainland Chinese thieves.. maybe this situation is them too.

arikevin said:
heard about this in HK, Shen Zhen.. This method has been used by Mainland Chinese thieves.. maybe this situation is them too.

Well, let's not point fingers at a particular group shall we?

Just be careful when in crowded places. Don't take things for granted. You don't want a wet blanket to dampen the festive spirit do you?

Kit said:
Well, let's not point fingers at a particular group shall we?

Just be careful when in crowded places. Don't take things for granted. You don't want a wet blanket to dampen the festive spirit do you?
thieves are rats, no matter where they are from. sorry that i pointed out "some" group. :embrass:

Romulus said:
So please everyone who shops there be careful, not just for yourself but for innocent shoppers too! REPORT ANY SUSPICIOUS ACTIVITY!

thanks for the warning....most of the time, we would just "forget" to lookout for such things that's happening...

:bigeyes: i usually put my valuables in my pockets but for girls...
thx for ur reminder and we'll keep a look out of those rats. maybe we clubsnap shld form a grp and go down catch them and police give us a reward medal :bsmilie:

Romulus said:

Such things happen everywhere and anywhere.

Last week, my daughter had her mobile phone and wallet stolen at Plaza Sing. Her friend lost her wallet too, same place same time. The items were inside their backpacks and yet these guys can do it.

Bottom line is, no matter where or what you're are doing
BE ALERT !!!

A word of caution for photographers while out shooting. Your camera bag is always a target. Don't ever leave your camera bag on the ground and put too much concentration in what you see in the viewfinder.

last time my father cautioned me when using backpacks whenever going anywhere. he always keep his wallet in front left shirt pocket

My wallet is always in one of my front pockets. Never behind, never in my backpack. Pockets on my backpacks only contain things like tissue, pocket change etc. nothing more than $1 in value. :D

That's also why i bought the Brian's Hot Tub. Camera equipment cannot be accessed when i'm carrying the bag. I only set the bag down when i have someone watching it, or i'm sitting down somewhere for some reason.

Thanks. Just venting...

Anyway, I was just wondering how thieves select their victims. There must be some characteristics that they choose - that's why some get targetted and some don't. I mean... like molesters don't target just anyone but people who appear more "vulnerable" and less likely to confront them. So, are there characteristics like that in this case? :dunno:

Romulus said:
Thanks. Just venting...

Anyway, I was just wondering how thieves select their victims. There must be some characteristics that they choose - that's why some get targetted and some don't. I mean... like molesters don't target just anyone but people who appear more "vulnerable" and less likely to confront them. So, are there characteristics like that in this case? :dunno:

Very Simple.
While you are walking around looking at what you want to see or talking to your companion. You tend to be off guard and you could be watched. These guys are experts, they do not just strike on anyone. They will normally watch their "victim" some some time, trail him/her and study the person's awareness. Having found a "victim" they will wait for a change to strike.

One scenario where these guys like to strike most is when there is a show in the atrium of a shoppinig center or at street shows.
Here a crowd definitely gather and everyone is paying attention to the show. All seem to be enjoying and tend to be off guard.

This is the best place to stirke. These guys don't normally operate alone. One will be moving around the crowd pretending to look for a good place to watch the show. His accomplice could be on a upper level communicating with him on the mobile phone giving directions to the potential "victim". Once the "strike" has been made this guy will move away from the crowd and a second "striker" will take over for the next "victim"

In such situations, it is advisable to try not to stand in one position too long. If you want to stay in the same position because you have a good view point then periodically make slight movements with your legs and or buttocks to sense/feel around your to make sure nobody stand too close to you and may bee feeling you pockets.

For ladies in such situations, it is good to sling your handbag in front of you and fold your arms over it while watching the show. Never leave your handbag at your side or behind you. It is also good to periodically make slight movements to sense that no one is too close not to "strike" but to molest.

Romulus said:
But we didn't stop for very long. We were looking to buy a notebook. Never stationary for too long...

sighz... :(

It does not take too long to strike. Once targetted, 15sec - 20sec at most.

Just be very careful in future, take it as a lesson learnt.

nokin

there were reported cases of wallet being stolen, looted and returned without the owner's knowledge, only when they take out their wallet to pay then they discovered they have been looted.

The incidentS is in other countries, they haven reach singapore yet.

Do be careful, be careful when you're payin, don't let your money see light,

usually they will target people wearing expensive labels, alot of jewellries, and a wallet full of cash, no point stealing from someone with only $10 in the wallet (like me! :bsmilie: )

Anyway, away with the unfortunate incident.
Happy New Year everyone! and hope the economy will be better, so less people resorting to steal and cheat.

Status
Not open for further replies.