www.flickr.com
Been a long time since i posted here,

5054768582_ab40e19be1_b.jpg

exposure 1/15
aperture 2.8
iso 3200
handheld

just crop and convert to jpeg, with some minor adjustment in ACR

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
-well composition and everything else under the sun
2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
- i hope i show how ppl in general tend to forgo the warning signs , an act of
complacency, how sometimes we take the simplest thing for granted.
3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
- taken at esplanade where its a tourist hotspot, handheld
4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
- personally i think i did enough to show what i felt and see at that moment, with the railing leading towards the oof area of the lady sitting on it helps me to portray it.

looking forwards... cheers:cool:

IMHO, I think the composition is ok but I would prefer a tighter crop. The buildings in the background are irrelevent in this case, you might want to crop lower and leave them out of the frame. I would prefer to keep the lady in the yellow shirt in the top left thirds and warning sign on the bottom right thirds for the crop. The use of DOF here is good but its a pity that the lady is sitting a bit far down the angled section of the rail. Otherwise, it would have been more obvious that she was sitting on the rail. Overall, I can understand the message you're trying to send, nice picture :)

Last edited:
IMHO, I think the composition is ok but I would prefer a tighter crop. The buildings in the background are irrelevent in this case, you might want to crop lower and leave them out of the frame. I would prefer to keep the lady in the yellow shirt in the top left thirds and warning sign on the bottom right thirds for the crop. The use of DOF here is good but its a pity that the lady is sitting a bit far down the angled section of the rail. Otherwise, it would have been more obvious that she was sitting on the rail. Overall, I can understand the message you're trying to send, nice picture :)

thanks dude, for the compliment and the advice, will keep it in mind...:)

I can understand this is not an easy shot. shoot at wide open, high iso.
I will just ignore the iq.

The "connections" between the words and the person doing intended action is weakly link.

As I can see that there is only one "blur" person sitting on the railing. This person merges together with everyone and even the background. Overall the emphasis on the "important" person is pretty weak.

For me, what I will do is to attempt to take another photo by going nearer to the intending subject and filling up a lot more of the frame. The next vertical metal railing should probably has the same wordings....

I can understand this is not an easy shot. shoot at wide open, high iso.
I will just ignore the iq.

The "connections" between the words and the person doing intended action is weakly link.

As I can see that there is only one "blur" person sitting on the railing. This person merges together with everyone and even the background. Overall the emphasis on the "important" person is pretty weak.

For me, what I will do is to attempt to take another photo by going nearer to the intending subject and filling up a lot more of the frame. The next vertical metal railing should probably has the same wordings....

thanks for dropping by bro,

i can relate to what u trying to convey here, but she actually quite closer to me than what u think, so i cant go nearer anymore with having to remove their personal items away,

anyway imho, even if i were to get the intended subject alone, than it will sway from the meaning of complacency as she be alone with nothin or no-one to contribute to that feeling...

yeah... I understand. Things don't always fall in place for "that shot" ;) keep hunting...

actually i think the link is weak, too. if i were there i would prolly try to use a bit more DOF (and underexpose the shot), as to bring the person into more focus, then later use PS to compensate for the exposure, and use the blur tool on her friends, as to fade them out for being unimportant

Bro, I thought it was a cool attempt at creating tension. Too big a crowd though, but I think that is not in your control.

But like the last poster say, a little deeper DOF might be nice. But then again, might mess up the scene also.

A very hard scene to shoot.

I was wondering if you climb over to the other side of the railing and took the shot. It will be bad if this is the case and you fall.

Bro, I thought it was a cool attempt at creating tension. Too big a crowd though, but I think that is not in your control.

But like the last poster say, a little deeper DOF might be nice. But then again, might mess up the scene also.

A very hard scene to shoot.

thanks dude for dropping by, how i wish i cld get more DOF but im already on 1/15 cannot use tripod from the angle i shoot, plus if i were to push up Iso and get the DOF, i dont wish to continue on from there... hehehe... i thought off cropping off the friends in the pic but doing that so, i might lose the complacency feeling i wanna portray,

the last poster said to underexpose the pic bu i scared with deeper DOF and the distance of the subject, i might lose details in correcting the exposure later... well if got another chance i will try it again,

cheers....

thanks dude for dropping by, how i wish i cld get more DOF but im already on 1/15 cannot use tripod from the angle i shoot, plus if i were to push up Iso and get the DOF, i dont wish to continue on from there... hehehe... i thought off cropping off the friends in the pic but doing that so, i might lose the complacency feeling i wanna portray,

the last poster said to underexpose the pic bu i scared with deeper DOF and the distance of the subject, i might lose details in correcting the exposure later... well if got another chance i will try it again,

cheers....

Yea bro. It is a hard scene to shoot, with many things out of your control... Not a posed photoshoot. :bsmilie:

well, i can certainly see where you're coming from -

but my question is what you intend this to be. there is a sign, and it is ignored. how would this be interesting to other viewers? would you be interested in viewing this?

i mean nothing by this comment, just sharing my thoughts. as much as we want to shoot for ourselves, i think inherently a photo that is meant to be shared needs to take into account the interest of the target audience. if the message brought across is neither exciting nor particularly pressing, then one has to take that into mind.

perhaps it might seem more relevant or interesting presented as a series of such observations of "ignoring signs". then it might relate to a stronger undertone, a clear social statement being made.

well, i can certainly see where you're coming from -

but my question is what you intend this to be. there is a sign, and it is ignored. how would this be interesting to other viewers? would you be interested in viewing this?

i mean nothing by this comment, just sharing my thoughts. as much as we want to shoot for ourselves, i think inherently a photo that is meant to be shared needs to take into account the interest of the target audience. if the message brought across is neither exciting nor particularly pressing, then one has to take that into mind.

perhaps it might seem more relevant or interesting presented as a series of such observations of "ignoring signs". then it might relate to a stronger undertone, a clear social statement being made.

thanks for dropping by too, i do understand where ya coming and getting at, n i do agree that like the other bros have pointed out, thou its easy to relate, its doesnt stand out, to get more ppl interested.

i will take up ya idea of doing a series of 'ignoring signs'...
wish me luck in getting the shots...

tq....:)

Always get back to the main idea. In this case it's to show people do not respect the sign.
We see only the sign and guess that someone sit on the rail because of your title, but the picture should speak by itself.
You are victim of an actual photo fashion which is "very shallow depth of field", as tho you have a good picture because you snap at 1.4 or so.
In this case the sign must be sharp and we must clearly see the person on the rail, so the DOF should be a lot wider, just sligthly blur not to recognize the person and emphasis the sign.
And by the way learn to take your subject full frame, you shouldn't have to crop.
A crop is like a surgery, an admitted failure :D

Always get back to the main idea. In this case it's to show people do not respect the sign.
We see only the sign and guess that someone sit on the rail because of your title, but the picture should speak by itself.
You are victim of an actual photo fashion which is "very shallow depth of field", as tho you have a good picture because you snap at 1.4 or so.
In this case the sign must be sharp and we must clearly see the person on the rail, so the DOF should be a lot wider, just sligthly blur not to recognize the person and emphasis the sign.
And by the way learn to take your subject full frame, you shouldn't have to crop.
A crop is like a surgery, an admitted failure :D

ah yesh , thank for dropping by, not to sound defensive,

i did state, i was handholding at 1/15, which mean no tripod, reason being the angle itsself doest allow tripod, unless i got lateral arm from gitzo or manfrotto type of tripod may be,
did i ever state i think it was a good picture jusz becoz i snap it wide open, do note its 2.8 not 1.4, do not assume, read first, obviously trying to get a deeper DOF its quite impossible,
when im already at 1/15,

so ifs cropping a bad thing, than its like saying we shld not post-process our pics too, whiy its like an admitted cosmetic surgery, i crop bcoz, any longer focal length, i would more obvious handshake movement,

neways thanks for commenting on it, guess it does spark a reaction from u, either bad or good, its someone else perception,

noted....:cool:

i did state, i was handholding at 1/15, which mean no tripod, reason being the angle itsself doest allow tripod, unless i got lateral arm from gitzo or manfrotto type of tripod may be,
did i ever state i think it was a good picture jusz becoz i snap it wide open, do note its 2.8 not 1.4, do not assume, read first, obviously trying to get a deeper DOF its quite impossible,
when im already at 1/15,

so ifs cropping a bad thing, than its like saying we shld not post-process our pics too, whiy its like an admitted cosmetic surgery, i crop bcoz, any longer focal length, i would more obvious handshake movement,

neways thanks for commenting on it, guess it does spark a reaction from u, either bad or good, its someone else perception,

bro... FX really shallow DoF... makes me salivate all over again. :eek:

when im already at 1/15,

If you think you cannot do any better for the reasons you mentioned, so why posting for critique as you already know what's wrong !
And please write correctly you are not on your hand phone sending messages, just respect.