Warning - Another less than honest seller on Ebay

Status
Not open for further replies.

VampTreSS

Feb 18, 2004
www.v1da.com
After reading another thread frm here about scaming sellers - http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=67418

I feel I've to post up wat happened to my friend recently, who bought a 32MB SmartMedia Card from a seller over Ebay.

My friend (in this post his Ebay account name is underwarez) had won the bid for a Samsung card to only in the end, receive a MEMOREX card instead. The purpose of tis post however is not to slam all internet transactions as frauds, but to point out the LESS than honest conducts of ONE particular Ebay seller.

His account name on Ebay is Smitcoff.

So do think hard if you ever consider buying from this fella, even if you think you won't be paying much for the item. 'Cos in the end, when you add in the time and patience wasted, it won't be worth what you paid for in the first place.

Below are the actual correspondences between them -

To: <lyon2u@hotmail.com>

Subject: Hi there, can i get a response? eBay Item: 32mb Smartmedia Card
Smart Media Cards *NEW* (Item #3800950029)

Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 04:44:34 +0800

Hey there, I've mailed you quite a number of times just to check if my item has been sent, I've already sent payment 16 days ago and would like to check how long it would take for the card to reach me. If you have not yet sent the card, can I please have my payment back? I understand that you are busy, but please contact me asap.

Thanks, underwarez

Sent: 16 March 2004 23:59

To: underwarez

Subject: RE: Hi there, can i get a response? eBay Item: 32mb Smartmedia Card Smart Media Cards *NEW* (Item #3800950029)

Hello, we appoligize for the delay in your order, the card you purchased was
backordered to us by our dropship co. however they did start to ship yesterday, they will be shipped in the order they were paid for,i beive by your item # your will ship tomarrow and you should have it around friday the 20th of march. thank you for your patience, Smitcoff

To: "'robert smith'" <lyon2u@hotmail.com>

Subject: RE: Hi there, can i get a response? eBay Item: 32mb Smartmedia Card Smart Media Cards *NEW* (Item #3800950029)

Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 20:21:37 +0800

"This is a top of the line memory 32MB 3.3 volt smartmedia card, It will hold up to "495" internet friendly photos @ 640x480 resolution, And include antistatic plastic case and labels."

The card was received just today, 20 days after I have paid for it and also, it does not in any way look like the card in the auction. That is fine by me.

HOWEVER, it came in a tiny Ziploc bag and not the "antistatic plastic CASE and LABELS" that you had mentioned in the auction. Worse of all, the card is scratched very badly and does not look new at all.

I am not a person to make a fuss about small things, but this is just a little ridiculous. I have never left a bad feedback and I REALLY do not want start now, so can you please help me find a solution? Kindly contact me asap.

Sincerely, underwarez.

Sent: 22 March 2004 23:32

Subject: RE: Hi there, can i get a response? eBay Item: 32mb Smartmedia
Card Smart Media Cards *NEW* (Item #3800950029)

Hello. the card you received was a new memorex 32mb smartmedia card there
should have been a static free sleeve in the package, and the memorex comes with lable on, the card is better than the one we were selling, which was a generic card manufactured by samsung that is no longer available, As for the scratches, i don't know, the cards were only slid in my camera for testing puposes and replace to the package, we can send you a plastic sleeve, or if you would like you can return the card for a full refund, Please reply, smitcoff

Sent: 23 March 2004 01:43

To: 'robert smith'

Hey, thanks for the quick reply, I appreciate it. (attached to this mail are pics of the scratches and the lil' Ziploc bag),

Ok, like I said, its cool that the card is not the one in the auction, I'm really fine with that. But I really didn't expect you to treat me like an idiot.

The thing is... I got a cute little plastic Ziploc bag, not a "sleeve", and definitely not a "case", (in the auction you said a CASE, and now you use the nifty term "static free sleeve"), so please, please don't play with words and tell me that a Ziploc bag is actually a "case"/"sleeve"... I'd be really insulted.

About the scratches... what do you mean by "you don't know"? Dude, don't get all defensive on me alright? I wasn't asking you if you scratched it, I don't care who did it! I am saying it IS badly scratched! I was TELLING you very nicely that it CAME scratched so that we can find a reasonable solution.

So tell you what, I'll put it back into the little "plastic sleeve" that you have provided me with and ship it back to you.

So how is this going to work? You refund me for item and shipping costs and then I ship it back to you? Or, you send me a replacement and I send this back to you? Let me know and I'll get to it right away. Whatever it is, I want my refund back before I mail it to you. Why? Because I trusted you when I -- bought your item, waited 20 days for a different, scratched card in a ridiculous Ziploc bag -- I am sure you can return that level of trust. Please respond asap.

Sincerely, underwarez

Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 05:43:50 +0800

Ok, I gave you the benefit of the doubt and decided to just use the card and forget the whole business about the misrepresentation. But guess what? IT DOES NOT WORK!!! My camera hangs 8 out of 10 times when I switch it on, I've tried formatting it, repositioning it... whatever (short of giving it the breath of life!) and no go... oh and before you even suggest that my camera is faulty, I have three other cards that work fine, so don't go there...

I see you are diligently ignoring my mail. That is just dandy. Since you have made it very clear that you do not wish to resolve this problem like a proper businessman, I have no choice but to take all the available actions against you (aw man, I HATE doing things like that...why on earth couldn't you have just done the right thing???).

Regrettably, underwarez

Sent: 26 March 2004 06:33

Hello,send it back to us in the a padded envelope and if it's in the same condition as when we sent it to you, "NEW" we will refund your full amount, we've never sold a card where the customer said it didn't work, but it is a mechanical device so who knows. Please don't be so rude if you email us back, it will be answered!!! thank you, Smitcoff

Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 08:20:03 +0800

Dear Robert Smith,

Aha! Great... a response at last! Oh yes, I was being pretty rude wasn't I?Well gee… I believe I took that kind of tone because I personally felt that it was rude of YOU to brush my concerns aside like they do not matter AND for not seeing it fit to reply me promptly. So now that we are square on that point, I am going to proceed on a slightly (only slightly) less rude tone.

Yes, it is believable that you have never sold a bad card before, and yes, I realise that you have had outstanding feedback. That is why I wanted to bid on your item. But you must realise, that it does not mean you must ALWAYS AND FOREVER TIL ETERNITY NO MATTER WHAT be ABSOLUTELY CORRECT AND PERFECT. In fact, you have had a VERY bad spell recently eh, 6 negatives in a go?

So don't shove the "we've never sold a card where the customer said it didn't work" in my face.

I'm not impressed.

I am not accusing you or your reputation of wrongdoings, I am simply asking (very nicely indeed at the beginning) for a resolution to my problem. That is (if you have even read my emails fully in the first place) that the card is scratched badly. This led me to believe it was NOT NEW. And now I gather from your last email that you are simply brushing away my problem by emphasising the word NEW eh?

"send it back to us in the a padded envelope and if it's in the same condition as when we sent it to you, "NEW"…."

One more time, this is the final & absolute last time, so I hope that you will pay attention…

The card is scratched - very badly. The hell with the missing case, the hell with the missing proof of purchase and the hell with the late delivery… I don’t care, but THE CARD IS SCRATCHED! Please clarify this term for me, by NEW did you mean "new but scratched"? I don't think so, because you (as would any intelligent life-forms) would define new as UNUSED/UNBLEMISHED/IN GOOD WORKING ORDER and most of all UNSCRATCHED!!! So I guess that it is safe to say that no, the card is NOT NEW. And that brings us to the fun part. How on earth do I return you a NEW card when I NEVER received one?!?!?! I've only got a scratched card that hangs my camera! But noooooooooooo… that could NEVER be YOUR card right? The one you sent was NEW and PERFECT right?

Dude, my patience is gone… I told you not to take me for an idiot, and I was sincerely ready to resume communications on a civil and pleasant manner. But all the way you have been playing me for the fool. You know what is the coolest part? I am a copywriter for a major broadcasting network, and you want to mince words with ME? Play around with them a little yah? Corner me with hidden terms and meanings? Bad, BAD move... your bad luck to try and rip me off…

Let's take a look at your game plan:

· Auction said: "antistatic plastic case" --- you said sleeve --- but TADA!!! It was a ZIPLOC BAGGIE! We BOTH got it wrong! How silly of us! : )

· Aution says: "This is A top of the line Smartmedia card with full manufacturers 1 year warranty with proof of purchase" --- sorry, not in package… were you keeping it for some REALLY-AWESOME-REASON-THAT NOBODY-CAN-COMPREHEND???

· In response to my question about "why I received a different card from the one in the auction", you replied "the card is better than the one we were selling, which was a generic card manufactured by samsung that is "no longer available" --- WHOOP-DEE-DOO!!! What a superhero you are! Very nice indeed of you to give me a "superior" product, but good luck explaining it to ebay. (Oh, and thank you so much for NOT informing me of the change in plans beforehand, I'm sure that by keeping mum and letting me find out when it reached would be a much nicer surprise!) Ahem… News flash Poweranger, selling items that you DO NOT have on hand is one of THE biggest ebay infringement.

· Item won on March 3rd, DELIVERED on March 17 --- (earlier, I said I wouldn't make an issue about this, but I take that back. This will be included so that everyone who is going to read this can join in the fun.)

· Item came in pathetic protection (other than one layer of bubble wrap). Without sleeve, case, manufacturer box/card, WHATEVER!!! It was totally NAKED, except for abovementioned "laughable Ziploc baggie" ("bag" being too generous a word to use)

· Item scratched --- "Scratched new"? "Scratched used"??? Who knows… all I know is... S C R A T C H E D (please note that the item is a sensitive electronics storage device, thus scratching is a BIG problem…)

· I said I will return it to you if I get a full refund, you sent a mail emphasising that you will provide a refund if I sent you a "NEW" card… --- WOW!!! That sounds like FANTASTIC business!!! You sell me a SCRATCHED & USED memory card, and to get my refund, I'll have to send you a spanking new one!!! HOLY CRAP!!! I want to be your business partner man!!! MARRY ME!!!

You know what? I don't believe that you are truly sincere in resolving this dispute. You have shown all the signs of being an unreasonable, conniving, wheeler-dealer -- who is used to twisting words and getting his way.

And so, I am UNBELIEVABLY pleased to be doing EVERYTHING I can to reveal your underhand business methods to all the proper authorities… Ebay, Paypal, (the Vatican if I must!) and to all the considerable resources available for the prevention of such despicably shady business practices…

Yours enthusiastically,

Underwarez

Why in the world are you buying a 32MB Smartmedia?

zombiez said:
Why in the world are you buying a 32MB Smartmedia?

:kok: It's my friend lah :p

In anyway, it was for his lousy camera and cos it was cheaper to buy off Ebay..

dun mind me, but very funny. as in the words ur friend used
on the other hand, i feel sorry for him, truely

zodnm said:
dun mind me, but very funny. as in the words ur friend used
on the other hand, i feel sorry for him, truely

Yah.. Really cracked me up seein his replies..

wah biang. i was about to cry after i lost or misplaced my 128mb smartmedia.... it should be called stoopidmedia... :p

thought u using 10d?

the way they were going, i'm not surprised it ended up as a rude 2-way exchange.

well another lesson learnt. thats the risk of buying from auction sites esp overseas ones.

VampTreSS said:

Sent: 26 March 2004 06:33

Hello,send it back to us in the a padded envelope and if it's in the same condition as when we sent it to you, "NEW" we will refund your full amount, we've never sold a card where the customer said it didn't work, but it is a mechanical device so who knows. Please don't be so rude if you email us back, it will be answered!!! thank you, Smitcoff

smartmedia, mechanical? i thought it was electronical all the time! :cry:

Rule no. 1 to buy anything from eBay:

Thou shall NOT buy from any eBay seller who has ANY neutral/negative feedback.

This Smitcoff guy has 6 negative and 7 neutral (as good as negative records) from his 192 transactions, far too high for comfort!!

The rest is very much predictable.

y0gi0h said:
Rule no. 1 to buy anything from eBay:

Thou shall NOT buy from any eBay seller who has ANY neutral/negative feedback.

This Smitcoff guy has 6 negative and 7 neutral (as good as negative records) from his 192 transactions, far too high for comfort!!

The rest is very much predictable.

dont forget you may end being the first to post a negative feedback :think:

I am surprised by the eloquence and the the time your friend invested in a jerk like that...

I wouldn't spend that kind of time to him man...

aiyo

why nowadays so many conmen...

one small card also wanto con??? dunno what they r thinking nowadays sianzzz :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.