War with dust...

How long have you fought with dust, before they actually enter your NEW lens /camera?

Results are only viewable after voting.

hkingx

Sep 17, 2008
Singapore. North/East
Hi, How long have you fought with dust, before they actually enter your NEW lens / camera sensor? :nono: I know there's no way to prevent, but at least we tried our very best to keep our NEW lens / camera as clean as possible... :think: Because I guess everyone will be having heart pain issus if your NEW gadget are attacked by dust... lol :bheart:

When I brought home to scrutinize my new lens under a strong table lamp, I realized that both my 24-70 and 70-200 II have dust, kinda sad and I dont know whether is it only natural or it's just my luck.. :( lenses looked fine when inspected in the shop under the ceiling light..

Zozzcyx, I do have the same problem as you. Last time when i bought my 70-200 it look fine inside the shop, after i inspect it again when i reach home using strong light, i can see some dust inside =(

When I brought home to scrutinize my new lens under a strong table lamp, I realized that both my 24-70 and 70-200 II have dust, kinda sad and I dont know whether is it only natural or it's just my luck.. :( lenses looked fine when inspected in the shop under the ceiling light..

You need to use a led torch or similar to really see it. Most lighting in shops are not "point source" and bright enough to allow us to see the fine dust. The dust is natural.

If it doesn't affect your images then just leave it until there is really a need to send it for cleaning? My 18-200 lens is a manual vaccum cleaner so having dust is something that I have to live with.

Who knows, when you send it for cleaning, the moment your gadget gets dismantled the dust troopers will just parachute and land on it.

Really, this obsession with pristine equipment is pointless unless you don't intend to use them. If it bothers you that much, buy 2 copies of everything. Use 1 and shrink wrap the other. So what if you find dust (which is inevitable to begin with) with a $2000 torchlight? You'll just end up being paranoid and worry over nothing.

Really, this obsession with pristine equipment is pointless unless you don't intend to use them. If it bothers you that much, buy 2 copies of everything. Use 1 and shrink wrap the other. So what if you find dust (which is inevitable to begin with) with a $2000 torchlight? You'll just end up being paranoid and worry over nothing.

Agree with you Kit, initially I did thought that dust can be harmful to my camera gear, but after taking pics and zooming in the scrutinizing them, all the dust that I find doesnt really matter in any way to affect the end product, perhaps only when fungus grow then it is bad and should be sent for servicing. :)

Its a contradiction isn't it? To use is to "expose" to dust. But you buy to use right? Well said Kit ("You'll just end up being paranoid and worry over nothing. and never enjoy what you bought!) :thumbsup:

-- marios

just need to learn to live with it . . . there are dust everywhere . . . :)

dust dun affect much unless u got huge specks of them ... so far for me at least.

most just oof and disappear into nothingness for short exposures. but if ur doing a long exposure, its quite an eyesore.

As long as no effect on image quality, still can live with dust.

Hi, How long have you fought with dust, before they actually enter your NEW lens / camera sensor? :nono: I know there's no way to prevent, but at least we tried our very best to keep our NEW lens / camera as clean as possible... :think: Because I guess everyone will be having heart pain issus if your NEW gadget are attacked by dust... lol :bheart:
I'm more excited about great images with new gear than about any dust, may it be there 10min after purchase or only 2 months later. Latest with the first scratch at the camera body the question of dust becomes somewhat irrelevant for most :sticktong
"We are dust, resistance is futile."

Before the lens is assemble there is dust on each component.

The technician are also cover with dust.

Even cleanroom are not totally dust free but has a controlled level of contamination that is specified by the number of particles per cubic meter at a specified particle size.

Unless manufacturing line from components to assemble of lens are done in a vacumn room.

Before the lens is assemble there is dust on each component.

The technician are also cover with dust.

Even cleanroom are not totally dust free but has a controlled level of contamination that is specified by the number of particles per cubic meter at a specified particle size.

Unless manufacturing line from components to assemble of lens are done in a vacumn room.

WOah, I'd never think so deep and far into this before yet.! haha. well, luckily most of the dust is harmless.

Hahaha .. I dun think this will work .. best have it factory shrink wrap .. this way less dust enters it during it Journey to Singapore :bsmilie:

Learn to be imperfect (not to photo quality but equipment)! ;p

last time i gets paranoid whenever there is dust on my filters, i will wipe/blow them multiple times till its gone but now i just dun care much anymore. :p