want to setup a small studio

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahbeng

Jun 9, 2003
Visit site
dear experts, i would like to set up a mini studio at home, for taking macro objects as well as protriats. what "Essential" equipments should i have (other than camera and tripod). and how much would it be for all these equips. for info i am not rich. advise appreciated.

it will be easier to advise u on a given budget,anyway,IMO u need at least 2 lights 250watt should suffice for ur need,they cost ard $320 each at ruby,some backdrops(white,grey,black is a good start),reflectors or styrofoams covered with crushed aluminium foils, a light meter(very important).
all these should be enuff for portraits and micro stuff in 35mm:)

wah kao, the lights are so ex. can you let me know why the light meter is essential? can't i use the meter in my camera?

actually my budget is less than 500. any possibilities?

since yur into portraits get a a few *cheap* manual flash that has full control of the output such as vivitar or something and slave it... use few layers of cloth to diffuse the flash. use foam core/styrofoam as reflector

flash meter is to meter flash not ambient. your built-in meter has only the ability to meter reflected light

kex>>i think your refering to electra? my advice is use that product with extreme care...

are there any websites that has this kind of imformation?? i would like to check it out.

Originally posted by aesthetic
since yur into portraits get a a few *cheap* manual flash that has full control of the output such as vivitar or something and slave it... use few layers of cloth to diffuse the flash. use foam core/styrofoam as reflector

flash meter is to meter flash not ambient. your built-in meter has only the ability to meter reflected light

kex>>i think your refering to electra? my advice is use that product with extreme care...
yes,i'm referring to electra strobes,i been using 2 everyday for a few yrs without any hiccups,do u have any bad experience with it ?i acquire 2 bowens 500 esprit 2 strobes last month,one of strobe fuse blew within 2 weeks of usage,was suprised by the failure when they cost almost 3times more than electra.
ahbeng: get a sync cord for ur flash and wrap a few tissue around the head and burn some films,u should be able to get acceptable results using it with a styrofoam reflecting.

Status
Not open for further replies.