Want to scoot off also cannot.

ManWearPants

Jul 14, 2008
Singapore
http://www.relax.com.sg/article/new...r-13-hours-on-cny-eve-passengers-stage-sit-in

Scoot flight TZ205 is stranded in Taoyuan firstly due to fog, then later due to crew exceeded shift hours on the eve of CNY. My understanding is the delay is from 1am to 5pm, a total of 16 hours. I find the change of crew a bit absurd, though I know there are policies set in place for safety reasons.

What should passengers expect from a budget airline in the event of "Act of God" and human induced delays?
Due to the delay by the weather and the change of crew, what could the passengers seek from insurance?
As a passenger, what would you have done, if you are among them?

Last edited:
So you expect the crew to still be working after 16 hours awake?

http://www.relax.com.sg/article/new...r-13-hours-on-cny-eve-passengers-stage-sit-in

Scoot flight TZ205 is stranded in Taoyuan firstly due to fog, then later due to crew exceeded shift hours on the eve of CNY. My understanding is the delay is from 1am to 5pm, a total of 16 hours. I find the change of crew a bit absurd, though I know there are policies set in place for safety reasons.

What should passengers expect from a budget airline in the event of "Act of God" and human induced delays?
Due to the delay by the weather and the change of crew, what could the passengers seek from insurance?

If it was me .. firstly fog nothing can be done. Act of nature. Want to complain to gawd he probably has his own plans.
For the change of shift would this have happened if it's a full pledge flight? I'm not too sure. But i will consider a few things if my destination/time is important i would source for the next flight out once the fog clears. If $ is more important to me then destination/time i'll just sit it out and make friends with the other passengers.

Does insurance cover for any of these 2 delay?

So you expect the crew to still be working after 16 hours awake?

No. I don't mean that.

I meant shouldn't the airline have seen the weather forecast and anticipate that the present crew would certainly exceed the maximum shift hours.

From the report, it does appear that either no one has the initiative to plan ahead or it does not have access to the weather status. The passengers still have to endure the wait for new crews to be despatched from Singapore. I am wondering what kind of support budget airlines are not getting from airports?

Last edited:
safety issues.

the stubborn passengers were thinking more of their own convenience and "rights", rather than the rules and regulations that would benefit their safety during the flight.

i think there wouldn't be an insurance payout.

From NTUC travel insurance site:

You will be covered for:

Travel delay[1] not caused by you (including natural disasters)

[1] We will pay you for travel delay if the public transport you are scheduled to travel in during your trip is delayed for more than six hours in a row and is not caused by you.

reminds me of SQ006. LOL.
All the recipes for disaster.

Just accept la.. act of God what to do?
As for the crew, if they want 1st class service then don't use budget airlines. Pay peanut get monkey phrase applies :bsmilie:

thats the problem and risk with budget airlines

on regular carriers, they'll likely transfer as many as they can onto another alliance airline or sometimes cash compensation (Chinese airlines eg pay out about 300rmb if a flight is delayed by more than 3hrs)

Last edited:

Last edited:
If plane crash due to overworked flight crew... I'm sure we'll be reading another thread...

thats the problem and risk with budget airlines

on regular carriers, they'll likely transfer as many as they can onto another alliance airline or sometimes cash compensation (Chinese airlines eg pay out about 300rmb if a flight is delayed by more than 3hrs)

+1 best to buy travel insurance if flying budget.

I was flying China Eastern to Shanghai once and the flight was delayed then cancelled due to mechanical issue. Waited in the airport from 8am till 4pm. Those with connecting flights were moved to a flight at 4:30pm. The rest (me and my family included) were transferred to Orchard hotel to rest, giving us an awesome room, as well as a free buffet dinner ($80++ per pax value). We were picked up at 11:30pm for the 1am flight and to our surprise, are compensated $150 per pax on top of what we already received.

For some budget airline, they don't give a damn. Just ask you to apply for refund, end of story. Happened to me as well. Scoot already did good by issuing meal voucher and reassigning folks to the next flights. Other budget airlines may not be as helpful.

Always buy good travel insurance when flying budget.

Last edited:

The fog can't be helped. I wonder if anyone remembers all the flights being stranded in Iceland due to volcanic ash. If it is not safe, it is not safe. Would the passengers rather risk an accident? Think not. If so, they shouldn't expect to have their cake and eat it too (i.e. be safe and fly despite fog).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_travel_disruption_after_the_2010_Eyjafjallajökull_eruption

Agree that something can be done about planning of shifts. Unfortunately, unless we know what happened exactly, I don't think it's fair to expect ANY airline to just have a bunch of backup crew sitting around all the time in anticipation of possible fog. Even more so for budget airlines where margins are lower. No one likes to have this happen to them, yet at the same time we must be reasonable in such matters. Random cancellations or overbookings are unacceptable. This, I don't think the passengers protesting are being fair. I do hope they bought travel insurance though. Definitely it will cover such delays.

I really wonder why the report focuses on this single flight (it's the only one with crew problems?) when it opens by saying that the airport was closed due to the fog. It is probably one incident leading to another, and there would be no crew shift issues if there was no fog, etc.

For some budget airline, they don't give a damn. Just ask you to apply for refund, end of story. Happened to me as well.

Always buy good travel insurance when flying budget.

+1 to that.

Scoot makes it quite clear what they will cover, for example.

http://www.flyscoot.com/index.php/en/in-flight/our-promise-to-you.html

Isn't it de facto to purchase travel insurance these days? I'm sure we have at the very least, seen some reports on the horrifying medical costs that can arise at times:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/a...s-warned-steep-cost-medical-bills-abroad.html

+1 to that.

Scoot makes it quite clear what they will cover, for example.

http://www.flyscoot.com/index.php/en/in-flight/our-promise-to-you.html

Isn't it de facto to purchase travel insurance these days? I'm sure we have at the very least, seen some reports on the horrifying medical costs that can arise at times:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/a...s-warned-steep-cost-medical-bills-abroad.html

Well insurance don't cover everything as well. Some people do not read the fine print.

I heard of a Everest climb trip, where one of the guys got injured and couldn't move on. Heli-vac was called. It cost almost 30k USD. Not covered.

when it is due to safety or weather issues, chances are u cannot claim, many years back my flight (non-budget) to HK was delayed 2 hours due to heavy fog in HK airport, i slept waiting on T1 bench from 1.15am to 3.45am !! and it was my first flight on that airline somemore. I felt like a refugee loh !

fyi, T1 bench not nice to sleep ! sibei hard de ! and lotsa of vaccum cleaners noises after 1am.

Last edited:
when it is due to safety or weather issues, chances are u cannot claim, many years back my flight (non-budget) to HK was delayed 2 hours due to heavy fog in HK airport, I slept waiting on T1 bench from 1.15am to 3.45am !! and it was my first flight on that airline somemore.

Usually if you look at terms and conditions of carriage, you can only start claiming after 3-5 hours of delay.

2 hours delay nowadays is very common. The average delay time for any flight out of Shenzhen was 3 hours back in the day ( a few years back). My max delay out of Shenzhen was 4 hours... and not in the airport where you can stretch out. The 4 hour delay was spent in the plane after we boarded and pushed off. The flight itself was a 2 hour flight.

Last edited:
Usually if you look at terms and conditions of carriage, you can only start claiming after 3-5 hours of delay.

2 hours delay nowadays is very common. The average delay time for any flight out of Shenzhen was 3 hours back in the day ( a few years back). My max delay out of Shenzhen was 4 hours... and not in the airport where you can stretch out. The 4 hour delay was spent in the plane after we boarded and pushed off. The flight itself was a 2 hour flight.

all airlines are the same loh, even those "award winning" ones. They all use the same aircraft brand, either Boeing or Airbus, uses the same airports. However the more expensive ones will at least give you a hotel with meals when your flight is delayed very long. The cheap ones normally ask you go "self survival training course"

Last edited:
all airlines are the same loh, even those "award winning" ones. They all use the same aircraft brand, either Boeing or Airbus, uses the same airports. However the more expensive ones will at least give you a hotel with meals when your flight is delayed very long. The cheap ones normally ask you go "self survival training course"

You are actually very lucky with 2 hours spent in T1. One time, I had to spend the night at KLCCT airport. and the nearby tunes hotel was full.

Well insurance don't cover everything as well. Some people do not read the fine print.

I heard of a Everest climb trip, where one of the guys got injured and couldn't move on. Heli-vac was called. It cost almost 30k USD. Not covered.

Really? I wonder what was the rationale. Was it a case where it didn't warrant heli-evacuation and other cheaper methods would have been more reasonable? That said, of course, if you are there, you won't be thinking of whether you can claim travel insurance..