Want To Rent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baracus

Mar 24, 2008
The Far East
Seeing as there's no option of renting Pentax lenses commercially, I've decided to open this thread. I know that the Pentaxians that I've met are a jolly, trustworthy bunch and are always willing to lend a helping hand. So how about a lens rental/loan section where we can appreciate the equipment that's out of our reach?

(In summary, I need to loan/rent some lenses from you guys) ;p

Item:
In order of priority
UWA (10-20mm or 12-24mm)
FA 77 or DA 70
Attached CPL would be a bonus

Duration:
1-11 April 09. But if would be great if I could get it early next week for acclimatization. ;)

All kind souls, direct your T&C to my PM box. Thank you.

Too bad i will be travelling during this period as well... but im sure u can find ur lens pretty soon...
Suggest you put this on the sticky for BnS above or in the BnS section...
Here more for general discussion...wait kena complaint by Mod...

I think we can turn this into a discussion on how we can acquire pentax gear for short term basis.

One major complain that I ever have with my Pentax (other than the AF in low-light issue :) ) is there are no rental option available, unlike our N and C counterpart. I'm wondering is there if there's anyone in SG with a well-endowed Pentax gear collection is considering opening up a Pentax rental service.

It doesn't matter is its only an sideline to earn extra $$$ in these hard times, 'coz I think there are a lot of benefits for Pentax users (or would-be Pentax user) in general if such an option is available.

If there is such a service, I'll definitely be a supporter.

Last edited:
You can have my 1224, but make sure you never take off the UV filter. If I see any tiny dust on the front element, you have to keep the lens for a BIG MONEY! ;)

And of course, come back with a lot of good photos. Otherwise I'd charge your HIGH RENTAL FEE too! :D

Call me, you got my number ...

I think we can turn this into a discussion on how we can acquire pentax gear for short term basis.

One major complain that I ever have with my Pentax (other than the AF in low-light issue :) ) is there are no rental option available, unlike our N and C counterpart. I'm wondering is there if there's anyone in SG with a well-endowed Pentax gear collection is considering opening up a Pentax rental service.

It doesn't matter is its only an sideline to earn extra $$$ in these hard times, 'coz I think there are a lot of benefits for Pentax users (or would-be Pentax user) in general if such an option is available.

If there is such a service, I'll definitely be a supporter.

nobody will charge you :)... u will get free usage.. thats how things works here... unless you damage it... ;)

You can have my 1224, but make sure you never take off the UV filter. If I see any tiny dust on the front element, you have to keep the lens for a BIG MONEY! ;)

And of course, come back with a lot of good photos. Otherwise I'd charge your HIGH RENTAL FEE too!

Call me, you got my number ...

now then u say...:sticktong
i got 1 extra wide lens:cry:

I find it very difficult to loan someone especially if it's your good friend .. if spoilt, I m sure if it's your good friend, they'll definitely pay up. If it's a few minor scratches, what do you do? Ask them to pay up??

And some of these lenses aren't exactly cheap ... some even more than a thousand dollars.

Almost always a difficult decision, so I'll always try to make do with what I have. ;-) If not, do a buy and sell later... that's almost as good as a loan, isn't it?

Last edited:
from the other thread:

"Going overseas and as i've just dived into the pentax system(besides being a starving student. hahaha), i do not have the lenses i'll like to have.

if you are willing, i'll like to rent wide angles, cheap fisheyes like the zenitar and fast standard lenses for night time. I am willing to nego rental prices.

thanks a bunch!
jackson
97532991"

anyone willing to help this small boy?
lol im flying from 22th to 31st this month.
hanoi - halong bay - sapa is the destination.

thanks!!

I find it very difficult to loan someone especially if it's your good friend .. if spoilt, I m sure if it's your good friend, they'll definitely pay up. If it's a few minor scratches, what do you do? Ask them to pay up??

And some of these lenses aren't exactly cheap ... some even more than a thousand dollars.

Almost always a difficult decision, so I'll always try to make do with what I have. ;-) If not, do a buy and sell later... that's almost as good as a loan, isn't it?

Not easy, I agree. Especially if one is the type who takes good care of his lenses and they are in pristine condition. Lending always runs the risk of marring that, or worse, damage.

For me, I don't care so much about keeping my lenses in mint condition. They're well used and have been with me to some 'rough' places and situations. My philosophy is, they're meant to be used, to take pictures.. and wear and tear is inevitable! And I generally don't mind lending, but what I prefer is a temporary swap, and also to lend only to people I know.

By the way, I asked to borrow a 50-135 (a temporary swap in fact) for an event in an earlier thread, but no offers. :p So I resorted to borrowing a friend's Pentax camera for a two-DSLR setup. (35/50mm & 70mm mounted for a wide and mid-tele range, cos I lack a zoom in that range.) We make do with what we have, in the end. :)

Last edited:
I think it all boils down to trust. I loaned a new user my 18-55mm without knowing who she was and in the end she took over the lens from me. She had won a K10D in a competition at school but it came with the body only. Slowly but surely, when she gets better at taking pics, she would start posting for more lenses to buy or borrow to try. I have already volunteered my lenses . . .:D but they are all the manual versions as I do not own the latest DA or FA lenses except for the FA50mm F1.4

That's the whole idea for this thread. It would be great if it's stickied for reference.

You can have my 1224, but make sure you never take off the UV filter. If I see any tiny dust on the front element, you have to keep the lens for a BIG MONEY!

And of course, come back with a lot of good photos. Otherwise I'd charge your HIGH RENTAL FEE too!

Yes Sir! :sweat::bsmilie:

So that's what you were trying to tell me back then. Sorry I couldn't hear you clearly on the MRT. I'll take up on your offer then and put it to use for the upcoming outing. Thanks a bunch.

Almost always a difficult decision, so I'll always try to make do with what I have. If not, do a buy and sell later... that's almost as good as a loan, isn't it?

I had considered the idea, but funds weren't accommodating. :(

Yes Sir! :sweat::bsmilie:

So that's what you were trying to tell me back then. Sorry I couldn't hear you clearly on the MRT. I'll take up on your offer then and put it to use for the upcoming outing. Thanks a bunch.

Okay. Wish I could go there too, especially after seeing those beautiful photos by Lim (Gengh) :)

I agree with hjbyeo on this. It is tricky. For me its mutual and I believe it should be: I would not borrow lens from others as much as I would not lend it out. And it really depends on what lens is on loan. Fair enough for the kit/utility lenses. Imagine borrowing a FA31 or 77, I would'nt even bear loan it to my wife (not that she would actually borrow it though).

Last edited:
I think if one wants to borrow, then best to be mentally prepared to cough up the dough for it if it gets damaged.
Personally I don't believe in renting. If I am prepared to lend to someone, I do it on the basis of trust, not to make money.
Given the fact many people are now selling to raise cash on Pentaxforums or eBay, it's a good time to grab a bargain and own a lens/camera than paying to rent it.

Status
Not open for further replies.