Want to learn driving...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammer_400

Nov 13, 2003
Sg
Hi guys!
I'm keen on learning to drive... juz turn 18 n goin into NS liao :) ...
BUT i'm unsure of whether to go private or go to the driving school, can those with experiance pls advice? like Pros n Cons ?
I'll start with wat i noe first, u guys correct me if i'm wrong....

Driving school : Near my house ( yio chu kang )
Structured program ( more detailed ? )
More expensive ( ?? )
Always change instructor ( unless u pay $$$ )
less flexible hours

Private : Cheaper ( ? )
Dunno where to look for instructor ( reccomend pls )
More flexible

Can those with experiance share ur experiances ?
Thnx

im being frank here so dont get offended if you fall into one or the other of the categories...

if you are a natural driver, good phycomotor skills and awareness and like to drive and play car games well, then go for private

if you are lousy and expect to fail and fail, then go to the school.

these are the solutions for the best value for money lessons...

other factors would be up your personal choice such as distance, pick up point and friendliness etc...

cheers

as for the flexibility of time, i feel tat sch provide more flexibility, coz u can choose the best time n date when u log on to their webby. But for pte, coz there's only one instructor teaching u, the flexibility of time depends on ur instructor's time availability.

and if u wanna change the time and date for sch, u just need to log into their webby (if i'm not wrong), but if u wanna change time n date for pte, u actually have to call up the instructor and he has to call his other learners to arrange another time (which is quite troublesome and takes time).

i was learning in pte, and everytime when i was driving, someone called my instructor and change date, then my instructor become quite "sianz", then he would have to call up others and asked his other learners to change to another slot.

if u wanan search for pte instructors at YCK, there's a list of pte instructors list here .... or u can try to do a search on yahoo singapore, there's quite a few ads related to pte instructors.

As for the pricing, pte tends to teach more faster and straight forward, i drove on the main road on my first lesson liao, as for sch, think u would have to learn a few lessons before going on the road. Thus, in my own opinon pte is more cheaper.

I recommend private mainly for the very fact that you will be using the same car for your test. Gives yourself more confidence. Also, same instructor means that he/she will know your standard, how fast you ride down the learning curve, and teach you accordingly.

But either way, you may still get butterflies in your stomach esp if the tester looks real nasty.

I suggest u wait till u go ns....

who knows if u get posted to driver unit or not?

u might den get ur license for free den... ;p

wah :sweat:
so many pple reply liao...
i goin in next week... once BMT over den start lessons lor, so i noe wat unit i kena :)
looks like privates the way to go...
except from the LIST west_ray posted the private students theory veri lao ya... passing rate so low :sweat: the passing rate for private students also not better den school.... :think:

hammer_400 said:
i goin in next week... once BMT over den start lessons lor, so i noe wat unit i kena :)
except from the LIST west_ray posted the private students theory veri lao ya... passing rate so low :sweat: the passing rate for private students also not better den school.... :think:

Gd luck....=)

But i reckon u dun have much time to learn driving...

i only know that school's instructors can be rude (they will scold u .. not all though). It depends on yr luck :p

hammer_400 said:
before the thoery test, find out the tips from ur friends who attended theory lessons from sch, very high chances of spotting the qns. Mine also like tat. if u r kiasu enough, go n get the 10 yrs series loh ..

haf TYS meh??? isit the one at popular... ? is all MCQ wan ??

if you want to take your time. do private
if you want to save money. do private.
if you want fast. do driving center

i did mine with the private teacher, spent like 600 bucks but waitin time is 6months, as a biker i feel comfortable way before i went to take my car licence.. so no problem for me lor.

private advantages
personal attention - if you kanna good instructor.
same car, same instructor- but instructor do change car every 3yrs or so..
my instructor planned my lesson for me, when to start taking. so booking TP time is 6months but actual lesson time only 3mths.
you start off on in the car park then the road, then into the circuit.

disadvantages
if your fail( TOUCH WOOD) waiting time is another 6mths lor not like the driving center's 2mths.

driving center,
systemised lesson
fast

disadvantages
expensive
everytime you go, different car, different instructor.

actually should wait for your posting, you might not have time to go take your lesson. or you might get lucky and become a driver :p

lovells19 said:
so booking TP time is 6months but actual lesson time only 3mths.
you start off on in the car park then the road, then into the circuit.

disadvantages
if your fail( TOUCH WOOD) waiting time is another 6mths lor not like the driving center's 2mths.

during my booking of the TP, it happened to be the peak period of SARS, and waiting time for pte was only less than 3 months ...

wah!!! 6 months!! can book in advance ? i mean to KIV possibility that fail ?
so like ..... if i book now for june ... den 2 months time i book again for august.... etc.... so if i fail in june can take in 2 months :) ..in august...:)

lovells19 --- why do u say that driving centre is faster? is it realli faster? cos u haf to go through all the whole structured program rite? private dun haf to rite? if its alot faster :think: .... ... ...

Status
Not open for further replies.