Want to get started on post-processing, what is a good program to get?

aaron80

Mar 29, 2006
North
www.flickr.com
Hi guys, I need your advices. I have been taking pictures for a couple of years but have never really learn how to do proper PP. The only thing I know how to do is to cropping and brightness/contrast adjustments using Fastone Image Viewer or Pentax Camera Utility. Sad to say I dun really know how to use Photoshop and never use any noise-reduction softwares before.

I want to start learning PP and to be able to do basic PP on my pics. For a PP newbie like me, what software do you recommend me to get? I think Adobe CS5 is out of the question as it is really too expensive. I heard Adobe Lightroom 3 is pretty good but I dunno how much is it..

Are there student editions of popular PP softwares available outside? My budget is below $200..

Last edited:
GIMP is free, and is probably as powerful as photoshop cs5.

Are there student editions of popular PP softwares available outside? My budget is below $200..

yes, photoshop is available with student edition, within your budget.

just that you shouldn't use any image edited with it for commercial purposes

Paint.net is another free option... not as full featured as Gimp or PS.

i use photoscape.. it is small in size, there is even portable version of it, plug and play from thumbdrive, and it is simple and easy to use..

yes, photoshop is available with student edition, within your budget.

just that you shouldn't use any image edited with it for commercial purposes

I think the best bet is to get photoshop, getting familiar with it while you have the opportunity. When you've decided to get the commercial edition, you could possibly put your skills to good use and make some cash. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the recommendations guys! I have decided to get the CS5 Design Premium. Will practise more and hope to improve on my PP skills.

haha get cs5 student. best choice

AND this sticky thread is stuffed full with PP advise and how-to's
TOGU's PP thread (one of the longest surviving running threads in Clubsnap history... for a good reason)

For me the best pp software I ever used have to be lightroom.

I like the way lightroom line up the modules in such a way that it is a logical workflow for pp.
The develop (editing) module has all the basic/advance editing that you require. Cropping, exposure, brightness, cloning, healing, etc.

More importantly, lightroom encourage you to take ur photos in RAW and the editing is a breeze.
Previously, I was using Photoshop for editing. It is a powerful photo editing program, no doubt. However ur photos have to taken in jpg or tiff in order to edit in Photoshop.

If you can afford, the lightroom is onlyS$260++ and is a fantastic program. You can download the demo before purchasing.

For me the best pp software I ever used have to be lightroom.

I like the way lightroom line up the modules in such a way that it is a logical workflow for pp.
The develop (editing) module has all the basic/advance editing that you require. Cropping, exposure, brightness, cloning, healing, etc.

More importantly, lightroom encourage you to take ur photos in RAW and the editing is a breeze.
Previously, I was using Photoshop for editing. It is a powerful photo editing program, no doubt. However ur photos have to taken in jpg or tiff in order to edit in Photoshop.

If you can afford, the lightroom is onlyS$260++ and is a fantastic program. You can download the demo before purchasing.

Lightroom is only S$260???

Last i checked was S$400+..

Have heard many recommending LR. I feel at least get photoshop..it is useful for general editing...at least for me..

if you are doing batch processing of your photos, get lightroom. It is possible to batch process in Photoshop but the steps are less straight forward than lightroom and slower.