Want to get... lens

What would u recommend a newbie?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsbn

Jul 24, 2002
Planet Eropagnis
Many a time, we see people here, our friends, our colleagues asking our (or other photographers) opinions on getting a new lens for travel when u know these ppl already have the following:
- Kit lens (probably 18-70 or a 18-55 range)
- Consumer grade Tele lens (probably 75-300, 55-200 range)

U know these people are new to photography, but to ur horror of horrors, they start to diss the 'quality of pictures' produced by 'lousy kit lens' and asks u about ur Ls, ur Trinities or ur Gs with the impression that these Professional Grade lenses costs 'just a few hundred bucks' and that their picture quality would improve after getting Ls, Trinities or Gs when u know that they are already well suited for travel photography covering everything from landscape, portrait to super teles.

What would u do? :dunno:

Perhaps the most neutral answer. But u and I know what review sites are like to newbies... especially those paid reviewers which will extoll the virtues of L, Trinity and G.

+evenstar said:
these type of comments too:
When will people stop this thinking that sharp photos are a hallmark of quality lenses when with proper handheld techniques, consumer grade & 3rd party lenses (lemons excluding) can make the mark as well? :dunno:

when they really work on getting their skills to be better, rather than get caught up in a equipment war!

may i suggest :

poor skill + poor lens = poor picture
poor skill + good lens = maybe alright pic, but should also be poor picture
good skill + poor lens = good pictures
good skill + good lens = fantastic pictures!

maybe a bit off. but the morale of the story i think is, work on skill!

If it's someone I hate -> BBB + Need PRO Body for good shots + L L L lenses :)

If it's someone I'm willing to help -> Alternatives (eg. Canon 70-300 (NON IS) is crap compared to Sigma 70-300)

Actually we all sit and wonder at times.

For hobbyists, especially for new starters, isn't going all L, Gs and Trinities an overkill? Its scary these days when u see and hear ppl saying, "... new to photography. I heard that the kit lens is crap. Want to get something better for better quality pictures (when we know that this person's knowledge close to zero)."

jsbn said:
Actually we all sit and wonder at times.

For hobbyists, especially for new starters, isn't going all L, Gs and Trinities an overkill? Its scary these days when u see and hear ppl saying, "... new to photography. I heard that the kit lens is crap. Want to get something better for better quality pictures (when we know that this person's knowledge close to zero)."

I guess it's up to the individual on how they want to pursue their photographic interest. We can always try to tell them that it isn't the lens/equipment that count; that a good fundamental knowledge of photography can overcome equipment limitations to a certain extent; that a creative insight to the type of picture a certain scene can give you better pictures than cookie cutting it with a L lens. However, if they are blind and insistent that only the best lenses would do, than, I will pray that their wallet is fat enough to make up for their equipment bias. I mean, if they enjoy holding that L/Trinity/G lens in their hands more that taking good pictures, it's their freedom.:dunno:

where got money to buy the premium glasses...:cry:
maybe buy some white gaffer tape to gaffer the lens if it makes one feel better to see a white lens :bsmilie:

I always think that for newbies, should start with consumer grade lens, after some uses and they find out that their lens don't meet their need (e.g. not wide/tele/fast/macro etc enough), and when they know which lens can improve their catch then buy the better/pro grade lens, then they shall appreciate their better/pro grade lens better.

Although some seem to disagree and think that it's a waste of money and longer path :sweat:

dr34mc4st3r said:
where got money to buy the premium glasses...:cry:
maybe buy some white gaffer tape to gaffer the lens if it makes one feel better to see a white lens :bsmilie:
U get ur white gaffer and turn ur 70-210 f/4 into a 700-210 f/4G SSM. :bsmilie:

zcf said:
I always think that for newbies, should start with consumer grade lens, after some uses and they find out that their lens don't meet their need (e.g. not wide/tele/fast/macro etc enough), and when they know which lens can improve their catch then buy the better/pro grade lens, then they shall appreciate their better/pro grade lens better.

Although some seem to disagree and think that it's a waste of money and longer path :sweat:
Come to think of it, isn't the 'buy buy buy' phenomena here as well as the surge of review sites to blame for ppl thinking getting excellent lenses shld be the norm and those who are holding regular consumer grade/3rd party lenses are producing 'not so good' pictures?

Kinda like the megapixel myth....

heh i dun even know what a G or trinity lens is....

good what, that would drive the economy and have lots of good lenses on the 2nd hand market.

anyway I'd recommend 3rd party lenses to newbies
unless they are rich

I guess they will only understand when they actually use those lenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.