Want to get a camera (Nikon D3100 or Canon 550D?)

cupnoodles

Nov 1, 2010
Hi, as you can see, I am totally new. Need some opinion on selecting my first camera. (yes first!)

Very daring of me to want to jump into a DSLR for a first camera, yes?

So... I did some research and I went from wanting a Panasonic Lumix LX-5 (was looking at pro-consumers like S95, G12, and also 4/3, but 4/3s are quite expensive...) to a Nikon/Canon DSLR. Eventually I narrowed down to Nikon 3100 or Canon 550D. I know they are not exactly on the same level or for best comparisons.. anyway, I have to admit that I am already leaning towards the Nikon D3100, due to its price (also why I thought I might as well get a DSLR since it's only slightly more than a pro-consumer) - but some of its cons is making me consider further.

What I researched is that:

Nikon D3100 DSLR
Alan Photo ~ $849
Harvey Norman ~ $999

Pros:
Same price as Canon G12 (I like the flip LCD!) on Alan Photo.
Cheaper than Canon 550D
In build photo processing

Cons:
No wireless remote (erm, sometimes want to take self-portraits with friends)
No external mic input (don't really care about this actually)
No usb cable included in kit?
No bracketing
No AF motor?
Only compatible with certain lenses. AF-S?

Canon 550D DSLR

AP: 18-55mm ~ $1399, BC: $1299 +/- $1.3k
18-200mm ~ $1699
Privilege Programme: $1072, $1.3k

Pros:
Auto Bracketing
External mic output

Cons:
…. Nothing. Expensive.
No in-build processing (can use photo editing prog?)

One thing I am concerned about is weight, will a DSLR stop me from bringing my camera out regularly? My bag is usually quite heavy already.

I also read that buying a DSLR is more about the after, like the entire system. The lens compatibility etc. Can seniors advise me on Nikon/Canon lens? Also is it a must to get a dry cabinet when I purchase my DSLR? Can I use a drybox instead?

Apologies for the long post, but really would like to hear some opinions and input. I did quite abit of research, read the guides on buying a DSLR.. stickies, etc, I guess I just need to hear if the D3100 is a right choice.

Last edited:
I would like to suggest you look at the Pentax Kr as well.
The price is (based on SLR Revolution facebook page)
1) Pentax kr 18-55 kit (Pink, White, Black) = $910
2) Pentax kr 18-55, 50-200 Dual kit (Black) = $1060
3) Pentax kr 18-55, 55-300 Dual kit (Black) = $1188

Features include :
1. On camera Shake Reduction
2. Very Good ISO 100-25600 performance
3. Exposure bracketing
4. 6 fps
5. 1/6000 max shutter speed
6. Backward compatibility to all K-mount lenses
7. Small sized
8. Fun filters (if you want them)

It is a good camera with very little that is held back.

For lenses, you will need to buy lenses made for that specific mount (ie. Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus, Sony). They are not usable across brands. There are also 3rd party ones that are made to fit the specific brands.

Try to get a dry box. It prevents the growth of fungus on the lenses.

D3+1+0+0=D4
5+5+0D =10D
Which sound better to you?

Pros:
Same price as Canon G12 (I like the flip LCD!) on Alan Photo.
Cheaper than Canon 550D
In build photo processing

Cons:
No wireless remote (erm, sometimes want to take self-portraits with friends)
No external mic input (don't really care about this actually)
No usb cable included in kit?
No bracketing
No AF motor?
Only compatible with certain lenses. AF-S?

Canon 550D DSLR

AP: 18-55mm ~ $1399, BC: $1299 +/- $1.3k
18-200mm ~ $1699
Privilege Programme: $1072, $1.3k

Pros:
Auto Bracketing
External mic output

Cons:
…. Nothing. Expensive.
No in-build processing (can use photo editing prog?)

Er... brother, theres is a few things that I would like to ask...

1) D3100 didn't include a USB cable? Really? But... first... why do you need a new USB cable? There are bound to have a few of these lying around at your home right?

2) I think D3100 is compatible with all nikon mount lens. It is just that some of the nikon mount lens doesn't have in-built motor, so cannot autofocus... but you always has the option to manual focus... so seriously, with a bit of practice, it shouldn't be a problem, yes?

Anyway... I think it is quite difficult for us to actually give you much advise without first knowing the following,

1) What is your budget?
2) What type of photography are you into (this will determine the kit lens or future upgrades).

And for your information, 550D and D3100 are more or less different class camera and so you shouldn't be comparing them. Instead, you should be looking at 1000D or the older 450D (if it is still available) when comparing to 3100D.

And not to mention there are more camera brands than 4/3 (which I think seriously is not that expensive), Sony, Pentax and even Samsung (all yield quite good cameras too).

Anyway, you should go down the shop and test out these cameras together with the one that you have shortlisted and see which user interface and ergonomic you like best. Image wise, I think they are quite there.

Also be sure to look at the lens lineup. I think for 4/3 and m4/3, the choice for super telelens are quite limited, Samsung is quite new to the market and so I don't think there are too many choice in their lens (plus not much third party lens too). For Pentax and Sony, they have a great selection of lens and accessories and they look pretty cool too (I am not a saleman for either one, just read a lot of reviews on them and informed by the good people in Clubsnap) - btw, I am from the Canon camp;)

talking about weight, i have just recently borrowed a Pentax Kx to use. The weight is something that i really not used to. It weights 580g(just the body with batteries ! ) vs my current GRD3 208g. Couple with the unavoidable bulk of an DSLR and protruding lens, i am thinking if I should be returning this borrowed set soon(meant to be used during a company outdoor event). And do you know why the owner of this Kx is letting me to use his camera now? he didn't tell me, but i really suspect is the bulk and weight that is making him thinking twice before he lug his gear out for his regular hang outs with his friends. :)

Just my thoughts on weight coming from a long time point and shoot user's perspective,

You ever considered Oly EPL1, Samsung NX100 or Sony NEX3? All are within the price range of Nikon D3100. The EVILs are much smaller and shape like point and shoot or RF. Most weight much lesser than the DSLR.

Last edited:
Senifer: Read the sticky already, very useful information, I also looked around for other stickies like Proconsumer and Dry Cabinet... CS really has alot of useful information.

pinholecam: Wow thanks for your recommendation! Very attractive prices I must say. I am now looking at the Pentax Kr and Kx. However I saw alot of Kx or K some things floating around in BnS, should I be wary?

Oh, yes I do like art filter effects. Especially pinhole effect (DSLR don't have this function.. that's one thing I consider Proconsumers over DSLR but can use photoediting software...)

By the way, you mentioned compatibility of K-mount lenses, are they a wide range? Such that I am not conformed to certain lenses only? I read that I can use 3rd party lenses too... why is it that Nikon/Canon can't really use 3rd party lenses (affect the results) but Pentax can?

Batteries - they use 4AA rechargables? Will that result in poorer battery life than Li-?

mccm33 : Maybe can buy 3-1-0-0 for 4D and get a "10D" huh?

I am so thankful that I posted before heading down to buy a D3100. I was actually almost sure that I want it (if it fits well when I hold it...) Looking forward to hear more advice and input!

Last edited:
Er... brother, theres is a few things that I would like to ask...

1) D3100 didn't include a USB cable? Really? But... first... why do you need a new USB cable? There are bound to have a few of these lying around at your home right?

2) I think D3100 is compatible with all nikon mount lens. It is just that some of the nikon mount lens doesn't have in-built motor, so cannot autofocus... but you always has the option to manual focus... so seriously, with a bit of practice, it shouldn't be a problem, yes?

Anyway... I think it is quite difficult for us to actually give you much advise without first knowing the following,

1) What is your budget?
2) What type of photography are you into (this will determine the kit lens or future upgrades).

And for your information, 550D and D3100 are more or less different class camera and so you shouldn't be comparing them. Instead, you should be looking at 1000D or the older 450D (if it is still available) when comparing to 3100D.

And not to mention there are more camera brands than 4/3 (which I think seriously is not that expensive), Sony, Pentax and even Samsung (all yield quite good cameras too).

Anyway, you should go down the shop and test out these cameras together with the one that you have shortlisted and see which user interface and ergonomic you like best. Image wise, I think they are quite there.

Also be sure to look at the lens lineup. I think for 4/3 and m4/3, the choice for super telelens are quite limited, Samsung is quite new to the market and so I don't think there are too many choice in their lens (plus not much third party lens too). For Pentax and Sony, they have a great selection of lens and accessories and they look pretty cool too (I am not a saleman for either one, just read a lot of reviews on them and informed by the good people in Clubsnap) - btw, I am from the Canon camp;)

Hey! I am sister not brother! :cheergal:

1) Yup, I read that in USB cable is not included in the package, I don't have any Nikon cable lying around, you mean any type of USB cable also can plug in? Was thinking no biggie to remove the SD card each time I upload pictures into my comp, but long term not good for the SD holder by punching in and out?

2) Oh, I thought only can use AF-S lens if not will damage the body or get bad results or something, by the way any idea what is the A/M switch for on VR lens? (as you can see I'm really new here)

3) My budget is preferably somewhere below 1k. Don't mind up to 1.2K if I really want/like.

4) Photography style is alot of portraits, with friends, of friends. Macro shots of erm, makeup and food. A plus if cam handles low-light well. For parties etc. (As I am answering this I feel like the S95 seems to fit what I need... :S) basically good shots of anything :p Actually I really like the Bokeh concept. AFAIK, only DSLRs can achieve this effect... I want to be able to play around with the Aperture and all.... which is why my original idea of pro-consumers is now replaced by DSLRs..

5) Yup I did mentioned that I know D3100 is probably not comparable to 550D. More to 1000D.. besides the video function.

6) I didn't really consider Sony though I am open to them too. Is that the A55 or something that is raved? I did consider m4/3, 4/3 for the size/weight and art filters. If I remember correctly, the prices were above 1K when I last checked them out at Harvey Norman. Another issue is the limited range of lens like you said, though I guess it may be possible that the manufacturers are coming up with more.

Last edited:
talking about weight, i have just recently borrowed a Pentax Kx to use. The weight is something that i really not used to. It weights 580g(just the body with batteries ! ) vs my current GRD3 208g. Couple with the unavoidable bulk of an DSLR and protruding lens, i am thinking if I should be returning this borrowed set soon(meant to be used during a company outdoor event). And do you know why the owner of this Kx is letting me to use his camera now? he didn't tell me, but i really suspect is the bulk and weight that is making him thinking twice before he lug his gear out for his regular hang outs with his friends. :)

Just my thoughts on weight coming from a long time point and shoot user's perspective,

You ever considered Oly EPL1, Samsung NX100 or Sony NEX3? All are within the price range of Nikon D3100. The EVILs are much smaller and shape like point and shoot or RF. Most weight much lesser than the DSLR.

Hello cpuer, as you can see above, weight probably plays a somewhat important factor for me when it comes to selecting a camera. My bag is already very heavy, so if possible, I hope my camera won't add alot of weight such that I find it a hassle to bring out. I really like the red body of a K-x though!

Yes, I definitely did looked at the models you mentioned. Especially for EPL1, cos I like the art filters! Haha. My concern is the limited range of lenses since its new technology (but not say I will need the lenses for now...) and price. Easier to fit into my bag and carry wherever I go also, right? .... sigh, what to do?

Last edited:
Additional inputs for you:

1. You will carry the camera with you more often when it is lighter in weight.

2. Sensor rating according to DXOmark:

D3100 - 67, 22.5 bits, 11.3 EV, 919 ISO (overall score, color depth, dynamic range, low-light iso)
550D - 66, 22 bits, 11.6 EV, 807 ISO

Note: higher better for all the scores

3. D3100 exposure metering follows focus point you set when you manually set it to any of the AF points. From what I read, for Canon, only higher end cameras have this capability, entry level cameras meter on center focus point only. Not sure about 550D.

4) Photography style is alot of portraits, with friends, of friends.

A camera with a screen that can rotate forward so you can see yourself before you take a pic would be good. Consider a Sony A33 (same sensor as the D3100) or an A55 (Same sensor as the D7000). Very lightweight too.

Macro shots of erm, makeup and food.

You may want to budget in a macro lens then.

A plus if cam handles low-light well. For parties etc.

In a party? Depending on how dim it is, you should consider using fill flash.

Actually I really like the Bokeh concept. AFAIK, only DSLRs can achieve this effect... I want to be able to play around with the Aperture and all.... which is why my original idea of pro-consumers is now replaced by DSLRs..

Not really, almost any camera can achieve a blurred background, DSLR cameras just make it easier. FYI, there is no "bokeh concept". Bokeh is just the quality of the out-of-focus blur.

Get a Nikon D3100 since you have already own a Nikon D40. Buy the D3100 and sell of the kit lens, the rest, not much to worry about rather than getting a Canon 550D

pinholecam: Wow thanks for your recommendation! Very attractive prices I must say. I am now looking at the Pentax Kr and Kx. However I saw alot of Kx or K some things floating around in BnS, should I be wary?

Oh, yes I do like art filter effects. Especially pinhole effect (DSLR don't have this function.. that's one thing I consider Proconsumers over DSLR but can use photoediting software...)

By the way, you mentioned compatibility of K-mount lenses, are they a wide range? Such that I am not conformed to certain lenses only? I read that I can use 3rd party lenses too... why is it that Nikon/Canon can't really use 3rd party lenses (affect the results) but Pentax can?

Batteries - they use 4AA rechargables? Will that result in poorer battery life than Li-?

I would suggest getting the new Kr. Its improved over the Kx in almost all respects, esp. the interface.
Local review here : http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=778924
There are many ppl selling the Kx in BnS as they are upgrading. There should not be major issues buying them 2nd hand, so long as you check its functionality before buying.

As for special effects... hmm.... (sorry, I don't use them too much on my camera). The Pentax cameras do make them easy. You can still save a copy of the photo just taken with the special effect, white balance, color settings you want after taking the photo in normal modes. Otherwise, you can always do them in post process for cameras that don't have such features.

I think you may have misunderstood the point on lenses.
All camera brands have their own mount type. They are not interchangeable between brands. So a lens made for Nikon mount, cannot be mounted on a Pentax camera.
There are 3rd party (eg. Tokina, Tamron, Sigma) lens makers that makes their lenses to mount on specific brands (Eg. Sigma 18-50/2.8 Nikon mount; Sigma 18-50/2.8 Pentax mount)
The lens mount type on the Pentax has been relatively unchanged since its inception back in the 70's. Therefore there are a wide choice of old (some very good and cheap) and new lenses that can be used.

As for batteries, you have the best of both worlds with a Kr. It comes with Li-on batteries, but it also takes AAs with an adapter. So if you forgot the Li-on charger or it broke down or you somehow run out of power on the Li-on battery on a tour, you can always pop into a regular store and get AA's to get you through.

Last edited:
Welcome to CS!

Good luck to your camera hunt. Here are some reading material you might find useful.

Good start here:

Singapore Camera equipment price guides:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=124

Newbie guide to buying lenses:
http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Guides/lens_buying_guide_01.htm

Newbie guide to buying DSLR:
http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Guides/dslr_buying_guide_01.htm

Basics of camera operation:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309544

Composition
http://www.amateursnapper.com/photog...position-rules
http://digital-photography-school.co...mposition-tips
http://www.digital-photography-school.com/10-more-quick-composition-tips-illustrated

Flash photography
http://www.gentleye.com/photo/photoart/advflash/index.html
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=171657

More topics covered here:
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm

Sorry if some links are overlapped with what others posted. We are all excited to share the joy and spread the love.

Hey! I am sister not brother! :cheergal:

1) Yup, I read that in USB cable is not included in the package, I don't have any Nikon cable lying around, you mean any type of USB cable also can plug in? Was thinking no biggie to remove the SD card each time I upload pictures into my comp, but long term not good for the SD holder by punching in and out?

2) Oh, I thought only can use AF-S lens if not will damage the body or get bad results or something, by the way any idea what is the A/M switch for on VR lens? (as you can see I'm really new here)

3) My budget is preferably somewhere below 1k. Don't mind up to 1.2K if I really want/like.

4) Photography style is alot of portraits, with friends, of friends. Macro shots of erm, makeup and food. A plus if cam handles low-light well. For parties etc. (As I am answering this I feel like the S95 seems to fit what I need... :S) basically good shots of anything :p Actually I really like the Bokeh concept. AFAIK, only DSLRs can achieve this effect... I want to be able to play around with the Aperture and all.... which is why my original idea of pro-consumers is now replaced by DSLRs..

5) Yup I did mentioned that I know D3100 is probably not comparable to 550D. More to 1000D.. besides the video function.

6) I didn't really consider Sony though I am open to them too. Is that the A55 or something that is raved? I did consider m4/3, 4/3 for the size/weight and art filters. If I remember correctly, the prices were above 1K when I last checked them out at Harvey Norman. Another issue is the limited range of lens like you said, though I guess it may be possible that the manufacturers are coming up with more.

Oops... sorry, tot u r a guy:embrass:

D3100
1) I think it use the normal USB2.0 cable, so normal USB cable can use.

2) Any nikon mount lens can use, it is just that some of the nikon lens do not have inbuild motor so your camera cannot Autofocus and you would have to use manual focus. As to the M/A switch on your VR lens, it means you can switch to manual focus or leave it at Auto focus. Manual focus can be very useful for certain situation, like taking macro shots.

3) For your style of photography, I think normal kit lens - 18-55mm will do nicely, since you are quite new, I don't think you would need to go for very high end lens at the moment. Maybe you would like to add another 55-200mm VR lens for telezooming.

(however you might want to check to see if these lens had build in motor in them that would allow D3100 to Autofocus. One good way is to test it out in the shop.)

Lastly, I would advise you not to get things from megastores like Courts and Harvey Norman, there are some shops that normally alot of us frequent, like John3.16, Cathay Photo, MS colour, etc. These shops are cheaper and very reputable.

I went to Harvey Norman, Best and Challenger to see see look look feel feel some cameras today. Needless to say, the salesmen don't seem to be interested in helping me.

Nevermind, most important of all I got to feel how the D3100 and 550D feels in my hands. Weight is acceptable in my hands, but not sure how it'd be in my bag. I mentioned that "I am concerned about weight but do not want to compromise on the quality" to the guy. He then recommended a m4/3. I took the EPL1 in my hands and it just didn't feel quite right. And the LCD screen looks kinda ..... small.

I also mentioned that I considered the S95 to the salesman, he said "that one is more for wedding" -- huh? Maybe he heard me wrongly. Other recommendations are Canon G12, which I was also looking at, and like I mentioned.. is like around the same price range as some of the entry level DSLRs to me, which is why it is swaying me towards the DSLRs instead of the former. Well of course the tilt screen will pose some advantage to me when it comes to self-portraits. I was wondering how do I hold a DSLR properly if I want to take self-portraits? As in like I won't be able to hold it stably/at a good angle.

I also took the chance to look at the Samsung NX10. Was told it's a 4/3. I have read online that Oly has plans to focus more on m4/3 and may phrase out the 4/3. I was just wondering if any seniors can share with me the pros of m4/3 or 4/3 compared to a DSLR, besides the weight and mirrorless technology? Should there be any compelling reasons why I should get a (m)4/3 instead of a DSLR? I don't know why I feel kind of apprehensive towards 4/3 or m4/3. Maybe because it is new technology.

Now I would like to have a feel on the Pentax K-r, cos I have a feeling it might be what I am looking for in terms of quality, then again I think it is much heavier than the D3100 and 550D. For that I guess I'll have to go down to Funan. On this, I would like to ask if SLRevolution is reputable? Apparently they have competitive prices and cheaper (?) compared to other shops mentioned frequently (like Alan, Cathay, John, MS).

I don't wish to buy a camera from a shop that will close down anytime soon (not cursing SLR, but just saying..)

Oh one more question about lenses. Why is there a need to get a prime lens, say 35mm f1.8 when I can achieve that 35mm on a kit lens (can I?)? Is it due to the aperture? Kit lenses are like f3.5-f3.6. Kind of don't understand why is it that even though f3.5 (on kit lens) is lower than the f2 on a LX-5, yet it is able to achieve the bokeh effect.

rhino123: I guess I misunderstood the Nikon lenses compatibility thing... I had thought that not using the 'right type of lens' will damage motor or engine due to the auto-focusing?

People use primes mainly for 3 reasons: They like the 'challenge' to move and zoom on their feet, 2: Larger aperture means better for low light situation, 3: Primes MAY have better IQ compared to some zooms. But IQ of zooms are catching up to primes.

I went to Harvey Norman, Best and Challenger to see see look look feel feel some cameras today. Needless to say, the salesmen don't seem to be interested in helping me.

Nevermind, most important of all I got to feel how the D3100 and 550D feels in my hands. Weight is acceptable in my hands, but not sure how it'd be in my bag. I mentioned that "I am concerned about weight but do not want to compromise on the quality" to the guy. He then recommended a m4/3. I took the EPL1 in my hands and it just didn't feel quite right. And the LCD screen looks kinda ..... small.

I also mentioned that I considered the S95 to the salesman, he said "that one is more for wedding" -- huh? Maybe he heard me wrongly. Other recommendations are Canon G12, which I was also looking at, and like I mentioned.. is like around the same price range as some of the entry level DSLRs to me, which is why it is swaying me towards the DSLRs instead of the former. Well of course the tilt screen will pose some advantage to me when it comes to self-portraits. I was wondering how do I hold a DSLR properly if I want to take self-portraits? As in like I won't be able to hold it stably/at a good angle.

I also took the chance to look at the Samsung NX10. Was told it's a 4/3. I have read online that Oly has plans to focus more on m4/3 and may phrase out the 4/3. I was just wondering if any seniors can share with me the pros of m4/3 or 4/3 compared to a DSLR, besides the weight and mirrorless technology? Should there be any compelling reasons why I should get a (m)4/3 instead of a DSLR? I don't know why I feel kind of apprehensive towards 4/3 or m4/3. Maybe because it is new technology.

Now I would like to have a feel on the Pentax K-r, cos I have a feeling it might be what I am looking for in terms of quality, then again I think it is much heavier than the D3100 and 550D. For that I guess I'll have to go down to Funan. On this, I would like to ask if SLRevolution is reputable? Apparently they have competitive prices and cheaper (?) compared to other shops mentioned frequently (like Alan, Cathay, John, MS).

I don't wish to buy a camera from a shop that will close down anytime soon (not cursing SLR, but just saying..)

My advise is don't listen to what the salesmen in Harvey Norman, Challenger and Courts tell you. They know nothing of their product. For one... not all SLT cameras are m4/3 technology. If I am not wrong only Olympus and Panasonic uses this technology. The rest that offer small package such as Samsung and Sony, they are not using m4/3 technology but their own mirrorless technology.

Also I don't think Olympus will phase out their 4/3 camera, just recently they did came up with the E-5 professional DSLR.

I really like Olympus though... I have the EP-L1 (that I bought for my parents) and it took really good quality pics. The only thing is the lack of a viewfinder and so it is really difficult to shoot in bright sunlight and so you might want to invest in an electronic viewfinder when you decided to buy the EP-L1.

Plus SLR-Revo is a good shop, very reputable and so far I bought a few items from them... no problems at all. Just take note that SLRR is now on the fourth floor, its old place (fifth storey) had been taken over by Bally Electronics (which had quite a bit of stories, just do a search and you will know).

Oh one more question about lenses. Why is there a need to get a prime lens, say 35mm f1.8 when I can achieve that 35mm on a kit lens (can I?)? Is it due to the aperture? Kit lenses are like f3.5-f3.6. Kind of don't understand why is it that even though f3.5 (on kit lens) is lower than the f2 on a LX-5, yet it is able to achieve the bokeh effect.

rhino123: I guess I misunderstood the Nikon lenses compatibility thing... I had thought that not using the 'right type of lens' will damage motor or engine due to the auto-focusing?

My personal experience and also from some books and internet reviews, prime lens are generally sharper than zoom lens. And some of the prime lens are faster too. (I do not really know why, but I suspect that it is the number of elements in the lens. Zoom lens had more elements while prime lens had lesser). Zoom lens is more versatile though... while prime lens you need to zoom by your legs (walking infront or behind) - I remember myself dropping into a drain once, because I was moving backward when trying to shoot a subject with my prime lens (and I cannot zoom out).

As for the Nikon lenses compatibility... well... since there are no build in motor in the D3100 camera, some of the lenses couldn't autofocus. Only lens with inbuilt motor could autofocus.

But like everyone had advises, do check out other brands of camera too... Sony had a strong case, the A55 and A33 are really cool camera, fast and had very good quality pics. Pentax and Panasonic too.

Harvey Norman, Best, etc are good place to try cameras since they are accessible, but not the best places to buy. Their prices are usually not the best, neither is their knowledge. NX10 is APS-C and not 4/3s. I believe you already have some research information on hand, so you looked through their BS (if not you would not have mentioned all the instances that the salesman gave wrong info below).
Many such stores and salesmen are only interested in pushing the brands that give them the best profit margins.

Yes, do go down to Funan and SLR revolution to try out the Kr and the other cameras as well. This shop has had good things said regarding its service and price so far on Clubsnap. There is also Manly in Chinatown and Orient Photo 6th floor Sim Lim Square.

Do visit the CS Pentax Sub-forum for more info and a friendly chat ;)
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76

Last edited: