want to create a photography website

Status
Not open for further replies.

lily375

Jan 21, 2007
Hi. I would like to create a photography website dedicated to old buildings and churches in my area. I don't have a digital camera and so far I have been using my 35mm and having it put onto cd. I don't know what I am doing and would really like some input. Am I wasting my time using a 35mm for this. Everyone tells me I need a digital if I want decent shots. I am using publisher 2003 to try and create the website. I am happy so far with the pics as I work with them, but I don't know if the image I see will be what the rest of the world sees when it's on the web. I tried to email a few pics out to people and they were not as clear as they are when I view them from the cd. If this is going to happen when the photos are viewed on the site then I guess I need a digital. Does anyone have any knowledge to share about using images to create a site? And how do I go about chaning the size (compressing, etc). Again, I have no idea :dunno: what I am doing here and don't know where to begin. I just would like the end result to be nice pics on a hopefully interesting website.

Thanks!
Jennifer :D

Hi Jennifer.

Love to have people who has passion as yours.

Perhaps you would like to E-Mail me with your current workflow. I may be able to help you
in terms of the Digital part.

Films are still great! Don't worry. (Although digitizing the films will take time consumming steps)

By the way, you can E-Mail me directly at Andy@photoatwork.com

??? seriously, it is WAY better to buy/borrow a book on this.

The words to search for is color management.

Example book, "Color confidence" by Tim Grey.

For more general questions like compression, just google and read from the web lah.

u can try using Flickr. there are a number of singaporean-only interest pages being hosted there. ;)

Everyone tells me I need a digital if I want decent shots.

Jennifer, I do not know much about designing a website. I am also trying to make a personal website with a friend's help.

Just a comment on that statement.

"Everyone" is completely wrong. That is absolutely wrong!

You DO NOT need a digital camera to make "decent" shots. It might be easier to take an image in digital to put into a website. Afterall, all images have to be converted into digital format to put on the web. Taking an image in film and converting it into digital is a little more troublesome.

But making a decent shot is totally independent of the camera format.

Example of a picture scanned from slides.

20060805a.jpg

:)

Hi. I would like to create a photography website dedicated to old buildings and churches in my area. I don't have a digital camera and so far I have been using my 35mm and having it put onto cd. I don't know what I am doing and would really like some input. Am I wasting my time using a 35mm for this. Everyone tells me I need a digital if I want decent shots. I am using publisher 2003 to try and create the website. I am happy so far with the pics as I work with them, but I don't know if the image I see will be what the rest of the world sees when it's on the web. I tried to email a few pics out to people and they were not as clear as they are when I view them from the cd. If this is going to happen when the photos are viewed on the site then I guess I need a digital. Does anyone have any knowledge to share about using images to create a site? And how do I go about chaning the size (compressing, etc). Again, I have no idea :dunno: what I am doing here and don't know where to begin. I just would like the end result to be nice pics on a hopefully interesting website.

Thanks!
Jennifer :D

I would love to help but no tym la sis....

haha. As i do create webs for other ppl, mayb a few pointers i would give is that you work out your site map theoratically first.

Design aspect wise, you keep it for later, cos when the structure of the web is done, all you need to do is cut and paste the pic!

you can go to this webpage to find tips and pointers on how to make a good website:

http://www.webpagesthatsuck.com/

PM me if you need some pointers.
All the best!

get a dummies guide for photoshop (i prefer photoshop :p) of a guide to explain graphic editing. den just play play around ... any questions google it. also if u got friends that know ask them when u try stuff.... but start with easy stuff first ... else u will keep seeing alien language :p .... when i started out ... i learnt from friends more, when i c them do something new :)

have fun wif ur photos & webbie. it also would be gd to read up on HTML for your webbie for basic understanding of simple web pages. (i have read afew bibles & learn in 24hrs hee i find bibles gd)

2 ways 2 start ur webbie.

RECOMMENDED beloew hee,.

use those free web photo sites to start off.

once u noe more about webbie stuff.

find a gd web space server to rent (have to pay $$ :( )
if u got more $$ register a domain name (more fun as can chose ur own site name.)
*but watch out for their bandwith useage. if over use they will charge u $$$
*i exceed by 500% be4 knn 500% den they tell mi.... haiz

But if u have time & more interest, try the below

oh ya. i started in this flow.

learn HTML design & layout,
learn 2 edit pic 2 fit in webbie,

below is if u have more interest & time 2 do :p (i study IT wan)

learn scrpits 4 dynamic webbie,
learn CS(client server stuff) to run my own web server.
and wuha-la, just pay 4 domain name & hme internet connection and u can run your own website, & storage limit is your hard drive !!! hehehe

Try SimpleViewer (freeware)
http://www.airtightinteractive.com/simpleviewer/

1. Scan your films/slides into digital format
2. Process the shots using graphics editor like Photoshop (Adjust contrast, brightness and crop)
3. Create 2 sets of images : thumbnails and photos for webpage (700x500 or 500x700)
4. Load them into simpleviewer
5. Publish to a web server.

See my travel gallery in simpleviewer format
- Sample 1
- Sample 2

I remember once a friend showed me that you can buy over a design template from the internet, (I think like US$80-100?), then you can use this template on your own website. Since these template are for sale so the quality and look is quite pro.

Jennifer,

You can consider using a blog template. A Blogger account is free and easy to use. You can host your pictures on Flickr and link them so that they'll appear on your blog.

If you need more help or info on this, feel free to PM or email me at regina[at]wrkshy.net

All the best!

Status
Not open for further replies.