Want to buy Epson R2400 on line...but voltage problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fire Kirin

Apr 8, 2005
Hellow everyone!

I want to buy the Epson R2400 to print A3 black+white. I have just checked Sim Lim Square price, about S$1,700.

I have checked on the Internet, it will cost only S$1,300 excluding shipping cost and GST. EVen when these extra costs are added, it is still cheaper than what is offered in Singapore.

I don't want to be robbed, but those units offered typically in US is operated using a internal 110 V tansformer. There is no dual voltage selector switch.

Desperately seeking your advise if there are any other on line site with 220V specification that I could confirm the order?

Thanks!!!!

I think an easier way is to get a transformer. At the low power output, it should be no problem... The demand is around 20-30W

Saw Challenger selling voltage transformer at about S$90. Can convert both ways between 110-120V and 220-240V.

Some electronic products can take 110-220vac, can the Epson R2400 do that? If so you don't need an adaptor/transformer at all!

Edit: Just checked, those for Americian market uses 110vac. You'll need a transformer in that case.

Fire Kirin said:
Hellow everyone!

I want to buy the Epson R2400 to print A3 black+white. I have just checked Sim Lim Square price, about S$1,700.

I have checked on the Internet, it will cost only S$1,300 excluding shipping cost and GST. EVen when these extra costs are added, it is still cheaper than what is offered in Singapore.

I don't want to be robbed, but those units offered typically in US is operated using a internal 110 V tansformer. There is no dual voltage selector switch.

Desperately seeking your advise if there are any other on line site with 220V specification that I could confirm the order?

Thanks!!!!
funan they are selling it at almost e same price.free delivery....:devil:

in a funny way, the 2400 is a "not here not there printer", it is capable enough to handle professional quality prints, but it is not able to contain a professional capacity ink tank. if you print alot, might as well top up and get the 4800. the small ink tanks on the 2400 is really limiting, and if you think you might not print THAT much anyway, then the 2400 is an over kill.

Among my friends we have 4 * 2100 (the older version), the ones the print alot, finds it limiting due to the ink tanks problem, those that don't print enough ends up being a white elephant.

glensky said:
funan they are selling it at almost e same price.free delivery....:devil:

At S$1,300?!

Wow, which shop in funan should I approach then?

yaoxing said:
Saw Challenger selling voltage transformer at about S$90. Can convert both ways between 110-120V and 220-240V.

Thanks for the info!

I will check up Challenger in funan about this transformer per said.

At the time, I will be also checking out the shop that is offering the R2400 at S$1,300. If it is so, I would settle for a local model then.

Fire Kirin said:
Thanks for the info!

I will check up Challenger in funan about this transformer per said.

At the time, I will be also checking out the shop that is offering the R2400 at S$1,300. If it is so, I would settle for a local model then.

Which shop selling @ 1300? I'm very interested.

rueyloon said:
in a funny way, the 2400 is a "not here not there printer", it is capable enough to handle professional quality prints, but it is not able to contain a professional capacity ink tank. if you print alot, might as well top up and get the 4800. the small ink tanks on the 2400 is really limiting, and if you think you might not print THAT much anyway, then the 2400 is an over kill.

Among my friends we have 4 * 2100 (the older version), the ones the print alot, finds it limiting due to the ink tanks problem, those that don't print enough ends up being a white elephant.

I agree with you to a certain extent. I shared your concern about the perculiar product positioning of the R2400. However, I find that it may suit my need because I may not want to mass produce a lot of B+W prints. I was contemplating the 4800, but it may be well off my budget, hence, R2400.

I did hope that the R2400 can print A2, however, it can only manage up to A3+. Due to budget constrain, Hobson's choice.

populi said:

I don't know yet. Pending advise from Glensky....

rueyloon said:

You are right. The printer also discharges ink when you change between MK and PK (Matte Black and Photo Black). If you really want to use it heavily, my best recommendation is to use a CIS tubing with original Epson inks syphoned from the original 220 ml tanks :).

Watcher said:
You are right. The printer also discharges ink when you change between MK and PK (Matte Black and Photo Black). If you really want to use it heavily, my best recommendation is to use a CIS tubing with original Epson inks syphoned from the original 220 ml tanks :).

And where can one get these CIS tubes? What are they anyway, never heard of them.

populi said:
And where can one get these CIS tubes? What are they anyway, never heard of them.
CIS (Continuous Inking System) is used by all the various 3rd party solution. However, most a not good quality or cannot be sold without the inks. I do not advice that you use any 3rd party inks as it would void all warranty. On your brand new printer, that can be very expensive. Even if there is no problem, the one reason you are getting such a good printer is 1) for the b/w 2) for the accuracy of colours and performance (eg Dmax) 3) longevity with pigment inks. You would not be able to get the same performance even if you get custom profiles, in particular 3).

One overseas vendor of the tubings that has a good reputation is InkRepublic. My recommendation, especially if you intend to print a lot, is to get the tubing and fill her up with Epson's own inks which comes in the 220ml size which is significanly cheaper than the tiny carts that is used by the 2400.

Kho King said:
Is this R2400 the best A3 printer from Epson? I thought the better one would be Epson PX-G5000, no?
http://www.i-love-epson.co.jp/products/colorio/printer/pxg5000/index.htm

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/printers/px-g5000.shtml

Price is same or cheaper than the R2400...
Eh, that is the R1800. The Red/blue ink plus the Gloss optimizer gave it away. In SG, R1800 is sold around $1k

populi said:

proton-wisma....4th sty think its a bit higher than 1300.:dunno: but i got my r1800 there for 1k....excellent printer!

Fire Kirin said:
Hellow everyone!

Thanks!!!!

The freight cost will set you back another $400 SGD due to the sheer weight and bulk of the printer, plus the warranty issue are enough reasons to get them locally. I agree with Ruey Loon, in fact I also owned a 2100 before I got my 4800 and the ink is real hidden cost.

If you don't print borderless with sheet paper, you might want to consider the 4800 since it is a lot more economical on ink. I have friends who are reprinting their entire portfolio that was done on Epson 4000 after seeing what the 4800 could do.

Fire Kirin said:
Hellow everyone!

Thanks!!!!

I bought a film scanner from the US some months back as well and it came with 110V power. Don't worry about it too much, I think it should apply for your printer as well, if the power requirements are say 10-30W, you can safely get a transformer from Funan (make sure the rating is 2x or 3x of the rated power in W to be a little more kiasu) and convert it to 220V. I did that. The alternative is to ask Epson for a local power supply butI think you can spend >100$ for that. The transformer is $10-20 at the most.

here's what you have to worry about if you order from overseas;
- shipping charge, they should tell you so no problem
- GST: at that price, don't forget your +5%. The courier will pay first and then charge you about 10$-15$ admin fee
- Some sites don't do credit cards from singapore.. adorama being one of them, I believe.

good luck.

-

Status
Not open for further replies.