Want to buy a tripod..HELP!

jryckw

May 28, 2010
Hi Experts,

I'm lookin for a tripod price range $200 and below.. any suggestions?

Currently using 500D + 18-135 lens..

Try the search function, there's a lot of threads on this topic. Also, go down to TK and have a feel at the tripods, prices are displayed

Me not expert, but if you up the budget by say another $75, you might get good tripods :)

You can browse at:

• K-13 Marketing (Peninsula Plaza, Level 2)
  • Cathay Photo (Peninsula Plaza and Marina Square, levels 1 and 2 respectively)
  • TK Photo (Funan Centre, level 2)
  • SLR-Revolution, (Funan Center, level 5)
  • Challenger (Funan Center, Level 6) - if you don't mind
  • Orient Photo (Sim Lim Square, level 6)

Cheers!

Alright! thanks

Recommend you browse first, take note of the models and pricing, and then come back here and do your homework.

Cheers!

U might wanna try one of the aluminum sirui tripod.. Can't remember the model but price should be ard 180+ at on the funan shops, tk photo if I'm not wrong..

Size should ard 35-40cm which is really convenient for light usage, weights at 1kg.. If u happen to decide to throw in more funds, I would suggest the carbon fibre..

I second Dingaroo bro, go search the forum, there many similar threads..

Happy shopping!

Check the Siriu model that below $200 from J316, Song Brother or TK!

manda photo got this mg alloy traveler tripod for $175, pretty light (should be abt 1kg), compact, sturdy and still pretty tall 1.5-1.6m full extended.

was checking it out with a friend who is researching on tripod to buy.

do take note: light != good.

tripods that are too light are not sturdy and tend to sway when there's wind. even with my manfrotto 190 fully extended. last time regret buy 190, should have just bought the 550. now i feel tripod not tall enough all the time.

tripods that are too light are not sturdy and tend to sway when there's wind. even with my manfrotto 190 fully extended. last time regret buy 190, should have just bought the 550. now i feel tripod not tall enough all the time.

light doesnt mean not good, light tripod that sway usually have thin legs, if u got a light tripod with thicker legs it can still be stable. not stable enough hook your bag below to weight the tripod down then, thats what the hook is for under the center column for almost all tripod.

ballhead also weight something, so end of the day your entire tripod gear weight is the tripod + ballhead which can easily reach 1.3-1.5kg for mg alloy tripod 1.5-2kg for alu tripod and 1-1.3kg for CF tripod

and a simple rule of mine is to find a tripod that is min 2x the weight load of your gear, 3x be best. anyway most entry lvl camera gear abt 1-1.2kg without flash, so go for a 3-5kg load tripod. most 3kg load tripod got thin legs, 5kg load or more usually have thicker legs.

another rule is that your tripod should reach your chest height with its legs fully extended but not the center column.

moi 2cents, my Alu tripod and bhead weight abt 2.4kg and its heavy to lug around the whole day. and my cam gear are easily 2kg or more.

er, it also depends on the tripod.

light not always good doesn't mean anything - there are carbon fibre tripods which are light(er) but can absorb vibrations, etc, much better than the usual aluminium variety.

that said, if you have a limited budget, then i agree, you should veer away from lighter tripods.

er, it also depends on the tripod.

light not always good doesn't mean anything - there are carbon fibre tripods which are light(er) but can absorb vibrations, etc, much better than the usual aluminium variety.

that said, if you have a limited budget, then i agree, you should veer away from lighter tripods.

I am planning to buy a tripod for my 450D use for travel, light is the first criteria, budget is less than 200. Any suggestion?

I am planning to buy a tripod for my 450D use for travel, light is the first criteria, budget is less than 200. Any suggestion?

not sure how the price is now, but you can look at slik sprint pro (if it's still available), or slik 330/340 dx.

When u test your tripod on a carpet flooring and a cement flooring, there is a vibrations different. pls . take note.

is this tripod serving you well?

Yes, its very solid and for its height its quite light also. Some things lacking is that its doesn't have a spirit level and is not able rotate its central column like some tripods do, both not issues for me. But its a really good tripod if you are on a <$200 budget. I would recommend it.

Yes, its very solid and for its height its quite light also. Some things lacking is that its doesn't have a spirit level and is not able rotate its central column like some tripods do, both not issues for me. But its a really good tripod if you are on a <$200 budget. I would recommend it.

Care to share what len and body was tested :D

Care to share what len and body was tested :D

Used my D80 with tamron 18-270, a quite light setup i think, also used my friend's 70-200, no problems. Hmm, now i consider getting a sigma 150-500, from what i've seen, shldn't be a problem too. The pan head provided can hold really well.