Want to buy a camera above PNS standard..

Status
Not open for further replies.

newtodslr

Nov 8, 2009
considering those pro consumer, between PNS and DSLR.
been travelling around, i see many with dslr, needs an extra bag for lenses and stuff, and seems pretty inconvenience. esp if u go travelling overseas. a little too bulky.

buying bcos i want better quality images, high speed shooting in low light (night scene which is not achievable in PNS) as well as better zooming limit compared to PNS.

i am shortlisting GH1, CF1 or the Olympus..

experts please advise, thanks

that leaves cameras like SX20 IS and G11 if you need long range telephoto. If you dont need such a powerful telephoto range, cameras like LX3 is pretty good for low light shots.

, high speed shooting in low light (night scene which is not achievable in PNS)

You can achieve this only with DSLR (good high ISO) + fast prime. Have a realistic expectation.

If you want to travel light and compact, mirrorless m4/3 (GH1, GF1 & EP1/2) would be good. Btw they are not pro consumer cam.

Lastly welcome to CS :)

been travelling around, i see many with dslr, needs an extra bag for lenses and stuff, and seems pretty inconvenience. esp if u go travelling overseas. a little too bulky.

buying bcos i want better quality images, high speed shooting in low light (night scene which is not achievable in PNS) as well as better zooming limit compared to PNS.

So you are saying you don't want DSLR because they are bulky and have to carry multiple lenses. And you want to go for something with one very fast lens with a large zoom (or you probably mean long telephoto). And you're looking at a micro 4/3 system?

Sounds like you're looking for a magic camera that can give you DSLR performance at PnS size. Not going to happen, not even with the m4/3 system.

If GH1 is in your shortlist, then you could also consider Canon 500D + 18-55 kit lens. It is equally light and I suspect it can focus faster than GH1.

If GH1 is in your shortlist, then you could also consider Canon 500D + 18-55 kit lens. It is equally light and I suspect it can focus faster than GH1.

Or a sony A330 + kit lens. it's even smaller/lighter than the 500D. :p

Or a sony A330 + kit lens. it's even smaller/lighter than the 500D. :p

come here... wanna try my product??? :bsmilie:

k-x.jpg

Last edited:
newtodslr said:

banana0ne said:
come here... wanna try my product???

k-x.jpg

hahahaha you bad...
Pentax K-X very small meh? Smaller than 500D, or Alpha A330, or Nikon D3000?
Anyway I'm a little confused about what TS meant by "high speed shooting in low light", particularly the "high speed shooting" bit.
Does he mean high continuous burst rate, or the ability to shoot at a faster shutter speed, thus requiring either high ISO or fast lens?

hahahaha you bad...
Pentax K-X very small meh? Smaller than 500D, or Alpha A330, or Nikon D3000?
Anyway I'm a little confused about what TS meant by "high speed shooting in low light", particularly the "high speed shooting" bit.
Does he mean high continuous burst rate, or the ability to shoot at a faster shutter speed, thus requiring either high ISO or fast lens?

yep yep it's very small... please note that the attached lens is a 35mm f2.0. btw ISO 12800 for low light aint enough???

Come on guys, let's be serious here. We need to recommend something that meets TS's requirements... entry level DSLRs with kit lens obviously don't meet the requirements. I think he's looking for something with good quality ISO 25600, zooms all the way out to 300mm, with f/1.4 aperture, and not much bigger than a PnS camera, so please recommend something close to that...

Come on guys, let's be serious here. We need to recommend something that meets TS's requirements... entry level DSLRs with kit lens obviously don't meet the requirements. I think he's looking for something with good quality ISO 25600, zooms all the way out to 300mm, with f/1.4 aperture, and not much bigger than a PnS camera, so please recommend something close to that...

haha....so sarcastic to TS. do such camera exist? :think:

lol...TS should get a videocam lor :bsmilie:

Can try Canon S90, same CCD as the G11 on a light body. Of course high ISO is not as good as a DSLR but much better then normal PnS.

Can try Canon S90, same CCD as the G11 on a light body. Of course high ISO is not as good as a DSLR but much better then normal PnS.

long shutter lag, slow shot-to-shot speed. Won't really meet his needs.

I am glad you have already done your homework and have shortlisted some of the cameras. Generally 4/3 and m4/3 cameras like GF1 and Olympus EP-1/2 are good but supposedly a little short on the high ISO (I assume that's what you mean since GH1 is still around the size of D3000 whereas GF1/EP-1 is more comparable with LX3). It's still a lot better than PnS though, and really, unless you're comparing against the higher ended stuffs like Nikon's D3X, the differences are subtle (but noticeable) - you won't be doing high-speed, low-light shooting, although with RAW files, you can choose one or the other. Panasonic's G series are faster in focusing (their CF detect autofocus is comparable with entry level DSLRs) but a little short on colours while Olympus's EP-1 are supposed to be better in colour rendition (but a little short on autofocus abilities). Either way, with a zoom lens, they will be bigger than PnS - only if you wanna do away with zoom and just use the pancakes (and Pana has a very good 20mm f1.7 pancake).

There are other considerations like how you won't need a dry box for your PnS but will most likely need one for anything with interchangeable lens.

This advise is coming to you from a very happy G1 user (more than a year) who never regretted getting his G1 but is now using a D5000 (mostly because of lack of lens support compared to Canikon but it's been growing).

I was using Canon B4 and cos of the weight with long lens and carried on tour/vacation is to heavy. Then brought Fuji S200EXR.
Why don't you try out the latest Fuji FujiFlim S200EXR, range 30-460mm zoom lens.
Top of all PnS but not a DSLR.

Specification:-
http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/s/finepix_s200exr/specifications/index.html

If PnS is still your cuppa... do consider also Canon's S90 in addition to Fujifilm and personally, I would get the F200 than S200 due to size. Can't comment on S200's low-light but F200 is fantastic.

may i suggest this , dun get something in between. Either a PNS or a DSLR.

Status
Not open for further replies.