[Wang TH] My Personal Review of the Panasonic Lumix TZ110

Wang TH

Sep 2, 2012
Fernvale
The TZ110 is the first in its series to incorporate a f/2.8-5.9 LEICA DC lens. TZ110 is a 1 inch sensor compact with a zoom range 25mm to 250mm. Aperture starts at F2.8 till F5.9 at its longest end. F8 is the smallest aperture.

Here is the Price (RRP) $ 999.00. Sounds good isn't it!

Other than the ability to capture RAW, it also features 4K video. Other nice stuff includes touch screen focus and WIFI Transfer, Panasonic's DFD focus and Post Focus functions. This has an EVF but no tilt screen or selfie screen. What we do have is a 3.0 inch 1,040k dot touch screen, 5 AXIS HYBRID O.I.S and Level Shot functions, 10fps burst photo mode (full resolution – 5fps with AF), Face / eye tracking AF. There is also In-camera RAW data development, Panorama function as well. What is missing is a horse shoe for external flash but I suspect not everyone will miss this in a compact.

DMC-TZ110GA-Product_ImageGlobal-1_sg_en.png

Those familiar with the Lumix TZ series would know that this is a popular travel compact and now with the updated sensor, image quality is quite outstanding.

For full specs, refer to https://www.panasonic.com/au/consumer/lumix-cameras-video-cameras/lumix-digital-cameras/dmc-tz110.specs.html

I will share my thoughts about this camera more from the usage perspective rather than a technical review.

Let's take a look at the size. Size wise, it is very similar to the Sony RX100MK2.

Comparison With RX100MK2
by Wang Teck Heng, on Flickr

Product view

Front View

Viewfinder and Screen

Top View

Last edited:

Bottom View

Card and Battery

ISO Test - I shall start with ISO 400 all the way to ISO 12800. These are all out of camera jpg. I find ISO 1600 still very good.

ISO 400

Panasonic Lumix TZ110 ISO Test

ISO 800

ISO 1600

Last edited:
From ISO 3200, it seems to me that TZ110 has a rendering that leaves a little more noise compared to the Sony RX100MK2 which I own. So its down to preference. The good thing is that color retention seems pretty good. If you are not a pixel peeper like me, I think ISO 3200 is the max I will shoot till unless I really need to make that shot.

ISO 3200

ISO 6400

ISO 12800

Next thing I tried was doing what buyers of this camera would do! Take some night scenery. I decided to take all the shots handheld, and I was very surprised by how low were my shutter speed! This is where I find the built in view finder being handy. But do watch out for your nose shifting the focus point. Its touch focus!

Here is a shot at 25mm, its widest.

P1010040

At 250mm, the tele end. This was taken at F5.9 and 1/10sec!

P1010071

How well does the 25-250mm work in a park? Its not long enough to do serious birding but its great for garden birds and insects. I found shooting butterflies really easy with the TZ110. I was able to stretch out my hand and make use of the touch focus to make the shot.

Here are the shots taken at 250mm. Here is the caveat. Due to the F5.9, the ISO will get quite high. Also the sharpness level of the lens is affected.

P1010120

P1010124

P1010131

P1010172

For macro, I recommend using the 25mm end. You get to shoot at F2.8 and it focus quite close at 5cm. The thing I like about lumix is that it shows the focus range in the display, hence you can know if you are getting too close and AF cannot be acquired. The image below took a bit of crop.

P1010185

Here is a very short video I took handheld.

[video=youtube_share;cl--kYyxrNc]https://youtu.be/cl--kYyxrNc[/video]

nice review.

In conclusion, with the focal length of 25-250mm, EVF and functions like 4K Video and Photo, Post Focus, touch focus, etc. The TZ110 makes a great travel camera. I think many travelers would have wanted a selfie screen to complete the package.

The camera handles well and the 5 axis image stabilizer completes the package. The frames per second and AF ability also makes it a breeze to capture moments. The flash can be made to bounce.

Last edited:
Thanks!

Here is another video. 250mm is a little short but do enjoy the video.

[video=youtube_share;39oFpluBgNI]https://youtu.be/39oFpluBgNI[/video]

Last edited:
the last photo of Plain Tiger looks pretty sharp and the Bokeh on the Lions looks nice too.
No wonder it is Leica...hahaha!!

Yes Bro Wong LP. All handheld

Bro Eric - Leica is indeed Leica

Read from some users that the cam is slippery to hold without rubber grip. How did you overcome that?