Walkie Talkie

Status
Not open for further replies.

davsmiths

Nov 9, 2004
AMK
Anyone here uses a set of walkie talkies?

Any brand to recommend? Uniden, Midland, Motorola, Shiro, Kenwood?

Looking for a pair for recreational purposes such as hikes to ubin, urban trips and if possible, communication from home - home.

Anyone could provide directions to rules & regulations here?

Thanks!

Hi, in Singapore there are some small walkie talkie you can use, some bigger and stronger transmission power unit can't be used. Those sold in Sim Lim SQ and other places usually are export unit, so be careful when buying.

You may need to check with IDA Singapore, go to their website, i believe there are a list of models that can be used.

I was using Motorola a few units last time, now got one pair in M'sia house because the model can't be used in SG. When you see the range for the walkie, say 3km, it means that at a very empty and flat field from one end to the other end, you can have not bad transmission across 3km radius. If you used it in city area where all tall buildings blocking, your transmission range will drop drastically. 3km may only be usable within 500m or something like that. My advice is be sure what is your usage and aim for the right range power.

first thing, walkies are not allowed legally for use in SG, as their operating frequencies may interferere with IDA's radio frequency spectrum allocation. if i not mistaken they operate at 120+ MHz

user12343 said:
first thing, walkies are not allowed legally for use in SG, as their operating frequencies may interferere with IDA's radio frequency spectrum allocation. if i not mistaken they operate at 120+ MHz

Tink u outdated by abt 2 yrs...allowed liao:D
http://computertimes.asiaone.com.sg/reviews/story/0,5104,2877,00.html
http://computertimes.asiaone.com.sg/people/story/0,5104,2790,00.html

i used oregon scientific talkies n they worked wonderfully during my trips to hongkong and bangkok.... range is ard 5km but lose a bit of transmission if both parties r indoor....

u may want 2 chk it out.... frm Tangs

cheers

user12343 said:
:think: are you sure?

There are IDA approved walkie talkies with the white IDA sticker. The most popular being the motorola Talkabout series (not all of the Talkabout series are IDA approved). Courts and Harvey Norman was selling it the last I saw few months back.

These WTs are usually as good only for roads and outdoors. Once you enter shopping centres, it's better to turn it off to save your batteries. It'll bring more frustration than convenience. ;)

user12343 said:
Frequency operating restriction is still there as consumer walkie-talkies cannot go above a certain transreceiving frequency and are officially allocated a range for consumer walkie-talkies.

mine is 5km radius.. ;)

Hmm... interesting. Care to share the brand & price? Thinking of getting a pair since my sibling lives across my flat and estimated distance is like 400 to 500m.... :think:

I have noticed that all IDA approved wt all falls below the 5km radius range. This may have been implemented to prevent long range (un-monitored) communication over the island. (maybe to prevent coordinated terrorist attacks)

There are sets that are not IDA approved which people are still selling. As far as I'm concern, it can be used in Singapore and so far no one has been caught. It is still ILLEGAL.

For IDA approved WT, Carrefour has some sets. Motorola 4km (a pair) is about $150 with charger and batteries.

However, unapproved sets, motorola 8km (a pair) is $115 with headset plus charger (230v local) plus batteries

or

Midland (a pair) 29km!! at $179 plus headset, charger(110v) and batteries.

Carre4 are selling some walkie talkies too. don't think they will be selling it if it is illegal.

yanyewkay said:
:think: are you sure?

There are IDA approved walkie talkies with the white IDA sticker. The most popular being the motorola Talkabout series (not all of the Talkabout series are IDA approved). Courts and Harvey Norman was selling it the last I saw few months back.

These WTs are usually as good only for roads and outdoors. Once you enter shopping centres, it's better to turn it off to save your batteries. It'll bring more frustration than convenience. ;)

yes, there are some type-approved and some not type-approved. apologies for being too generalised in my comments.

The Mots are still the better choice as their models still provide additional encryption and security features that work better in the crowded radio spectrums.

Hi

If soneone is using a illegal talkie walkie, how can he get caught? You mean IDA ociffers will
approach the user and ask him to show him his unit is a legal one?

user12343 said:
wahaha, my mistake, Mot TalkAbout WT operate at about 400+ MHz using the GMRS band. bottom line is if wanna used non type-approved ones, can use but dun get caught.

the next set i buying must come with ear piece ...

;)

kiwitan said:
Hi

If soneone is using a illegal talkie walkie, how can he get caught? You mean IDA ociffers will
approach the user and ask him to show him his unit is a legal one?

in a way yes, as radio spectrum management and licensing is part of their job, they have to ensure that the allocated radio spectrum is only for the organization who paid $$$ in annual fees and not used freely by others.

they have specialized equipments like directional finders to pinpoint the source of illegal radio transmissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.