Not open for further replies.

hjbyeo

May 5, 2006
East
Guys,

I have be checking out the websites for the reviews of these pentax lenses
1. 28 - 70mm
2. 24 - 90mm

Not much details about 24 - 90mm written up.

It cost quite close to 480 USD. But is it really worth it?

Any other Pentax zooms around this range that you'll recommend?

Guys,

1. 28 - 70mm
2. 24 - 90mm

The 24-90 is a very nice lens. Build quality isn't that good, but optically it is really good. Hard to find though, even second hand.

Pentax will come out w/ a DA16-50/2.8 which certainly will be a great lens, but will cost over the price of a brand new K10D I think :)

Of course Pentax DA16-45 is quite good too, abit slow, but optically very good.

The kit lens isn't that bad, better than the Canon version for sure.

Maybe you should consider the FA28-105/3.2-4.5, another great lens at half the price of 24-90. Or FA28-70/4 if money is an issue, which can be had for around US$100 second hand.

There are plenty of third party lenses available:Sigma 17-70, 18-125, 18-200, 18-50, Tamron 18-200, Sgima 24-135, Tamron 24-135 ...

The 24-90 is a very nice lens. Build quality isn't that good, but optically it is really good. Hard to find though, even second hand.

Pentax will come out w/ a DA16-50/2.8 which certainly will be a great lens, but will cost over the price of a brand new K10D I think :)

Of course Pentax DA16-45 is quite good too, abit slow, but optically very good.

The kit lens isn't that bad, better than the Canon version for sure.

Maybe you should consider the FA28-105/3.2-4.5, another great lens at half the price of 24-90. Or FA28-70/4 if money is an issue, which can be had for around US$100 second hand.

There are plenty of third party lenses available:Sigma 17-70, 18-125, 18-200, 18-50, Tamron 18-200, Sgima 24-135, Tamron 24-135 ...

The 28-105mm is a fantastic lens, but I found it a bit restrictive since on the wide end it's not wide enough... I'll stick to my 16-45mm F/4 for now.

BTW, fengwei you looking for a 16-45mm? Saw your post in pentaxforums!

The 28-105mm is a fantastic lens, but I found it a bit restrictive since on the wide end it's not wide enough... I'll stick to my 16-45mm F/4 for now.

BTW, fengwei you looking for a 16-45mm? Saw your post in pentaxforums!

Yeah, you wanna let go off yours? You know the DA*16-50/2.8 is just around the corner. You'd have hard time selling this DA16-45/4 when that one is out ;)

I need some help getting the FA28-70/4 and FA24-90, guys, if you know. Anywhere you can point me to?

Feng Wei, just miss out on your sale earlier, but really wanted to just stick to Pentax lens.

I need some help getting the FA28-70/4 and FA24-90, guys, if you know. Anywhere you can point me to?

Feng Wei, just miss out on your sale earlier, but really wanted to just stick to Pentax lens.

My friend has an FA24-90 and he might wanna sell :) But he'd keep it for the firework first...

Guys,

1. 28 - 70mm
2. 24 - 90mm

Look under here, pleanty of comments of many pentax lens.

http://stans-photography.info/LongComments.html#400 mm f/5.6 FA* ED (IF)

i am still waiting for 16-50/2.8.. it's taking super long. once it's out i'll get k10d

i am still waiting for 16-50/2.8.. it's taking super long. once it's out i'll get k10d

Any idea on the price ? If only the tamron 17-50 has a pentax mount :cry:

Any idea on the price ? If only the tamron 17-50 has a pentax mount :cry:

it's expected to cost more than the K10D.

Don't wait lah. Get a K10D and have fun w/ it now...the price of 16-50/2.8 might scare you away ;)
I concur. Get the K10D or the K100D now and you're definitely guaranteed a lot of fun. Been using them with the kit lens (ain't too bad) and the 28-70 and the pictures are great. Don't wait because you need time to go beyond the basic features and know the ins and out of the cameras.

Don't wait lah. Get a K10D and have fun w/ it now...the price of 16-50/2.8 might scare you away ;)

I concur. Get the K10D or the K100D now and you're definitely guaranteed a lot of fun. Been using them with the kit lens (ain't too bad) and the 28-70 and the pictures are great. Don't wait because you need time to go beyond the basic features and know the ins and out of the cameras.

i having exam now. no time to shoot

I concur too. Having so much fun with my K100D ever since I got it in Sep '06. And the kit lens had been my current main stay.

I owned the Sigma 24 - 135 for awhile and it's giving me pretty good pictures as well. But I'll still want to stick to PENTAX.

Hows the 28 - 70 guys? And like Feng Wei said, it's a very good price in the 2nd hand market.

I concur too. Having so much fun with my K100D ever since I got it in Sep '06. And the kit lens had been my current main stay.

I owned the Sigma 24 - 135 for awhile and it's giving me pretty good pictures as well. But I'll still want to stick to PENTAX.

Hows the 28 - 70 guys? And like Feng Wei said, it's a very good price in the 2nd hand market.

I am not sure how good these lenses are as I don't have any experience in these zoom. From focal length itself, I will prefer the 24-90mm range and it definitely has got to be a PENTAX. But it looks like the 24-90 isn't very sharp though..
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&u=http://www.kphoto.ru/equipment/FA24-90vsFA28-105/test1.html&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=7&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dpentax%2BFA24-90%26start%3D20%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN

Anyway, I am just kind of wondering why you are look at this range of focal length since you already has the kit lens and it is still pretty much your main stay? Would it be more fun if you look at some telephoto range like the DA50-200 to capture street candid and so for?

just my thots..

cheerss...

Ha, ha, another kit lens sent from a friend in the US...
xenon.jpg

I kinda like the blue ring of this Vietnamese made Schneider.

I have a 24-90 and it's very sharp - as good as the 16-45 at overlapping lengths. Excellent walkaround lens.

Tim

Hi Tim,

thanks for your input regarding the FA24-90. It is hard to conclude the sharpness and quality base on those review sites. It does look like a good lenses to me. Hope you can post some interesting shot taken with this lens when you have time.

cheerss..

Please post some pixs taken by the 24 - 90mm.

I do have the 50-200mm. Fantastic lens for the price.

It's just that I'll really want a walk about one :D

Please post some pixs taken by the 24 - 90mm.

I do have the 50-200mm. Fantastic lens for the price.

It's just that I'll really want a walk about one :D

OK - I'll take a few shots over the weekend which will give you an idea of how it does ...

if it stops raining - I hope the whole weekend isn't like now :(

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.