walao Orient Photo

Status
Not open for further replies.
there are 2 males, both of them are very nice, but one of them tends to be more curt.

just talk to him, smile, he will respond nicely, from my experience.. everyone deserves a second chance, and op definitely is one of the better shops out there. ;)

you are right, that curt guy which I call him 公先生 :sweatsm:
when come to price I will ask him :lovegrin:

Where did you get your facts from? I know quite a number of Shanghainese and they are the most friendly people I know. Please don't generalise and stereo-type people. You are a moderator. Members expect better from you. :nono:

Just to explain myself a little. I LIVE in Shanghai and this is generally the perception I have. To "lightbrush", I am glad your experience with Shanghainese are good... maybe you live in a part of Shanghai that I have not encountered. I am either at Qie Tu Lu or Xu Jia Hui area, so maybe the water is bad on that part of town in Pu Xi. I don't mean to offend anyone with the post, but to share my personal opinion.

My facts comes from living with them for years in Shanghai.

I am not generalising, more of a statistic point of view (personal). And maybe because I speak Chinese with a Beijing accent, that's why.

So chill my friend, you don't have to be so aggressive to defend the Shanghainese... I am more "northern" so I am naturally "biased" against the southerners (but their girls are pretty though)... ha ha ha... hey its Monday, don't let the blues get to us ok?

If you are Shanghainese, and your friends are offended by this, you can call me "stupid Beijing kuku" or whatever too... we should learn to laugh at ourselves... so chill lah...

My point is, once we understand the culture of the people and accept them, it becomes easier to live with them. Like living in heartlander Hong Kong in the New Territories, you get used to very loud talking people (I think I am a little influenced)... ha ha ha...

So Shanghainese tends to be generally cold when you do not know them (warm up slowly) but I have seen them (OP guys) give good service too, in the shop... they were talking like friends... but they have always been cold to me though... bleah... :sweat: My Beijing accent... the war of the north and south... ha ha ha...

Just to explain myself a little. I LIVE in Shanghai and this is generally the perception I have. To "lightbrush", I am glad your experience with Shanghainese are good... maybe you live in a part of Shanghai that I have not encountered. I am either at Qie Tu Lu or Xu Jia Hui area, so maybe the water is bad on that part of town in Pu Xi. I don't mean to offend anyone with the post, but to share my personal opinion.

My facts comes from living with them for years in Shanghai.

I am not generalising, more of a statistic point of view (personal). And maybe because I speak Chinese with a Beijing accent, that's why.

So chill my friend, you don't have to be so aggressive to defend the Shanghainese... I am more "northern" so I am naturally "biased" against the southerners (but their girls are pretty though)... ha ha ha... hey its Monday, don't let the blues get to us ok?

If you are Shanghainese, and your friends are offended by this, you can call me "stupid Beijing kuku" or whatever too... we should learn to laugh at ourselves... so chill lah...

My point is, once we understand the culture of the people and accept them, it becomes easier to live with them. Like living in heartlander Hong Kong in the New Territories, you get used to very loud talking people (I think I am a little influenced)... ha ha ha...

So Shanghainese tends to be generally cold when you do not know them (warm up slowly) but I have seen them (OP guys) give good service too, in the shop... they were talking like friends... but they have always been cold to me though... bleah... :sweat: My Beijing accent... the war of the north and south... ha ha ha...

Hi microcosm,

I am glad that you clarify yourself. I don't think you deliberately set out to offend the Shanghainese (btw, I am Singaporean). I just feel we need to be extra careful when it comes to associating traits (especially negative ones) to classes of people especially along the lines of nationality, race,religion or skin colour. I believe Clubsnap is aware of this and hence issued the guideline in the sticky,

"Although Kopitiam is meant as a catch-all area for things not related to photography, posts/threads which are:
religious,
political,
racist;
in nature or can be construed as such will also be stamped out, abolished and demolished without prejudice"

Yes, I agree that our life experience tend to make us pigeonhole certain characteristics to be attributable to certain people. This helps us understand the world and cope with day-to-day life. There's nothing wrong with that. However,in a public forum such as this, we must be extra sensitive and be careful of the possible repercussions of such remarks. It may be nothing or it can spin off into something big. To be on the safe side, we avoid making them as much as possible. And because you are a moderator,you are expected to uphold the guidelines. Hence the expectation of you is higher than us mortals ;)

But no worries. I am well chilled. It has been a good Monday. 3 hours to end of day. Have a good evening ahead. Cheers!

I lived in shanghai for 2 years
Just like every nationality there are some bad apples.
Although in Shanghai because it is one of the wealthier cities in China people there tend to feel more important then those from rural areas. Thats just inequality i guess, something that is very present, just look at the difference between pu xi and pu dong.

Although i have to say i did meet some lovely people in Shanghai which had a great attitude to life, not stuck up at all. I want to go back and visit sometime soon. I love that city

On the few occasions I visited, I always find the two guys appearing uninterested (not enough sleep?) but they provide good service once you let them know you are interested. OP is also the only shop I have seen the staff handling the lenses with glove and clean the lenses before putting back into the boxes after viewing :thumbsup:

Those two guy not from Shanghai if I'm not wrong :)

i bought something from them before and i am pretty happy with them.

maybe they dont like the face of the op?

Ouch.....

And greetings to ninelives and denizenx, it's been a long time. :)

Ouch.....

And greetings to ninelives and denizenx, it's been a long time. :)
howdy do?
only see you in Kopitiam huh? lol
See your kids also can wear adult clothes liao.. LOL

Anyway GUYS, I said they were Chinese because they looked Chinese and ppl can ID them. If I saw an Indian auntie I'll say I saw a bochup Indian auntie also. Please don't read too much into it...

Anyway, if this is how they operate, I'll probably call first. lol btw which one is Mr Gong? The older one (35+++) or the younger one (20s)? I don't mind bochup service if I know exactly what I want. ;p But this thread was in echo to the Pentax one about not getting helpful service.

I concur, the last time I saw that practise was when I was in Japan visiting the Yodobashi Umeda.

On the few occasions I visited, I always find the two guys appearing uninterested (not enough sleep?) but they provide good service once you let them know you are interested. OP is also the only shop I have seen the staff handling the lenses with glove and clean the lenses before putting back into the boxes after viewing :thumbsup:

lol had read abt some pentax buyer recently at OP SLS... but never thought it would be this bad.
me: do you sell oly lenses?
guy: yes
me: how much is the 70 300 ?
guy: I don't know

me: do you sell oly lenses?
guy: yes
me: how much is the 70 300 ?
guy: I don't know
me: hey, how come you gave me this lens so oily one ...
guy: you asked for oily lens, didnt you?....

howdy do?
only see you in Kopitiam huh? lol
See your kids also can wear adult clothes liao.. LOL

Anyway GUYS, I said they were Chinese because they looked Chinese and ppl can ID them. If I saw an Indian auntie I'll say I saw a bochup Indian auntie also. Please don't read too much into it...

Anyway, if this is how they operate, I'll probably call first. lol btw which one is Mr Gong? The older one (35+++) or the younger one (20s)? I don't mind bochup service if I know exactly what I want. ;p But this thread was in echo to the Pentax one about not getting helpful service.
Yes, my kids are growing and it's getting more challenging to look after them. :)
Well, have not been shooting for a long time, as all my time and energy is spent on looking after my kids. And the reason I'm in Kopitiam is because the standards in CS had improved leaps and bounds, and I feel too ashamed to offer my less than newbie comments to the photographers over here. :)

The older is Mr Gong he speak mandarin, the other younger one can speak english.

Note : Maybe we should not "shop-bash" in this section of the forums . I believe OP does bring in Oly stuff at one of the lowest prices in town. And I spoken to quite a number of their customers and it seems like they are really good at what they do. We sometimes catch them in a bad mood/timing (like some of you sometimes catch me in! :sweat:) so... you know... don't lah... ok? ;)

I have had encounters both good and bad with the Shanghainese, sometimes maybe bad mood cos too many come and goes never buy. But I made my stand and they offered really good and cheap stuff.

I bought several infact. . . after scouting and recon all the other shops in Peninsula. eg. PT-04TM , Softbox, 2meters Reflector Holder and others. The handsome one even take time to test and show how it works.

Currently, for the first time i sent in my canon lens that has fungus for service - charged at $120 - hope to collect it today- let's see if they do a job on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.