Waiver Criteria for Credit Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vince123123

Does anyone have first hand experience with credit card annual fee waivers? Usually how much needs to be spent before they'd waive their annual fees?

I noticed that some banks do state what their waiver criteria is, but other banks like Citibank, refuse to disclose.

Aren't these banks therefore diminishing their own competitiveness? I'd be more inclined to go to a bank which reveals waiver crtieria than to join one which doesn't - who would waste his spending on a "can't tell" situation?

Anyone has personal experience with Citibank Dividend cards and how much is required for a waiver? I kind of like the "Dividend" capability as I dont like to administer credit card points, but the inability to tell whether I can meet the waiver is pushing me away from it...any other alternatives?

normally, just say that you want to terminate your card,
because you do not want to pay for the annual fees

sometimes even if u spend nothing, just give them a call and they'll be willing to waive the annual fees.

yups.. my dad tried it a couple of times. It always worked.. until 1 day they said "I'm sorry, we cannot waive your annual fees because of bla bla bla.." my dad took out the scissors, but the card in half and posted it back in their return envelop. :bsmilie:

Hmm anyone had experience with Citibank on not spending anything and yet got a waiver?

I know Maybank has a set limit to achieve before they consider waivers.

So many free cards around, no need to pay up any longer.

philliptan said:
Aiya, I every year kwai kwai pay up...

have not sign anything by citibank card, but when i called them to waive the fees, they set the condition to sign at least 2-3 times to the card, in order to get full waiver. amount not important. works for the dbs, oub, amex cards ..but not standchart..so i cancelled the card. ;)

vince123123 said:
Hmm anyone had experience with Citibank on not spending anything and yet got a waiver?

I know Maybank has a set limit to achieve before they consider waivers.

Many years ago I had very bad experience with Citibank card, had the feeling that the operator really looked down on me when talking to me, got so mad I hang up the phone and cut the card right then. Now whenever Citibank officers call me to sign up this and that I will always remind them how they treated me years ago.

:dunno: since this was brought up i just checked that citibank did'nt bill me for the yearly charges..does that mean i am spending too much?:bsmilie:

Well ... have got waivers everytime I ask for it.

Looking at it another way, if they do not approve, just cancel the card, and get an opportunity to get a gift the next time you run into them at their roadshow!:bsmilie:

from what i have heard citibank is the most aggressive when it comes to promotions. when it comes to terminating cards, waivers etc they seem to be less flexible. also, if you owe them money, their debt collectors also seem to be more aggressive.

a friend had signed up for the dividend card. after a few months the card got automatically "upgraded" to the platinum dividend card... basically, the card member have no choice whether to upgrade the card or not! it caused my friend quite a bit of hassle as the bill payment details etc had to be changed.

the 'good' thing about UOB is .. they charge your annual fee into the card !!
i don have the right to say anithing ..

speaking of their customer service, i cannot help feel that in recent years, their standard of customer services are getting more and more sloppy and slow, esp when u call up their main line. hv to wait a significantly longer time listening to those tape-recorded promotions before someone attends to u, clearly remembered that wasn't the case before they became a QFB status in Sg.

Astin said:
Many years ago I had very bad experience with Citibank card, had the feeling that the operator really looked down on me when talking to me, got so mad I hang up the phone and cut the card right then. Now whenever Citibank officers call me to sign up this and that I will always remind them how they treated me years ago.

Never pay for any of them since moons ago.
Terminate better still, everytime you apply for a new one they give you free gift.
Now I receive new cards automatically without charge and have to beg them to terminate it. :confused:

Dennis said:
Never pay for any of them since moons ago.
Terminate better still, everytime you apply for a new one they give you free gift.
Now I receive new cards automatically without charge and have to beg them to terminate it. :confused:

Your kind of spending is different from most of us la :bsmilie:

igpenguin said:
a friend had signed up for the dividend card. after a few months the card got automatically "upgraded" to the platinum dividend card... basically, the card member have no choice whether to upgrade the card or not! it caused my friend quite a bit of hassle as the bill payment details etc had to be changed.

I got the upgrade to Platinum also for the Dividen card, don't see what the problem is leh... :dunno:

The benefits are more (higher rebates) and the annual fees remain the same as the regular card, not that I've ever paid annual fees anyway... As for bill payments, I find Citibank the easiest to pay, do everything via internet-banking.

Citibank has recently moved their call centre to JB. I heard it's 5 times less expensive to operate out of JB than in Singapore.

And you can tell the difference when you call the operator. The line quality is horridly bad. It's unlike this if the call is within Singapore itself. There were breakups etc. This is using a land phone to call, not mobile phone.

When I spoke to a supervisor about this, I complained to him. He didn't deny nor admit that the call centre was in JB but he said he will take this feedback to a higher level.

Astin said:

well.... whenever any card company refuse to waive, i tell them i will terminate, re-apply and still get 1 year waiver. then i ask if the hassle is really necessary for them and me.

so far, that works.

what is 'good' about that?

simon80 said:
the 'good' thing about UOB is .. they charge your annual fee into the card !!
i don have the right to say anithing ..

Status
Not open for further replies.