waiting......

Status
Not open for further replies.

denniskee

Oct 26, 2003
bukit batok
Visit site
Hi guys,

Pls comment on the mood of this photo, thanks.

6546waiting_2.jpg

Is there a reason why you chose not to focus on the subject?
My first look went to the pavement.

yes, it was my intend to focus on the pavement beside the man. in a way, the subject is not the obvious, but its whats missing. i would have preffer to focus nearer to him, but my 50 @ f1.8 doesnt have enough shallow DOV. i didnt want to move in closer (create shallow DOV) as it might alert him.

as per previous photo "searching", this is another one that reflect my mood.

while searching for a reason for what went wrong, this reflect me waiting for her to come back (no hope by now).

i notice the man sitting at a distant to my left while sitting on the stairs opposite cleark quay. we sat there for 1/2 hr, doing nothing (i assume we we both in deep thought, at least for myself).

his bicycle was behind him. but i decided not the include the bicycle as i think it doesnt serve the purpose of reflecting the mood. includeing his upper body will just create a photo that most would have taken, ie common technic.

the slippers is interesting to me has the meaning of minimium, as with his simple dressing. water bottle means he came prepared, to stay for quite sometime.

the blurring of colourfull background has 2 meaning is to me,
1) reflect the happier days goneby, at a distant.
2) happiness is beyond my reach.

I have tried converting to b&w, but lossing the colourfull background weakens the impact.

i'm not sure about others, but it kinda works for me (the mood)

but would prefer to see a tad more of the upper body, perhaps til the shoulder? and if its me, i might focus on the bottle beside him.. :think: not sure how it might turn out too, but just an idea.. :)

Ok. If it's the empty spot beside him that's supposed to be filled, then i can see what you're trying to do. Problem is, the spot that you chose is a little far. There's still some space in between so i don't get the relationship between the spot and the person sitting there.

By blurring both the subject and the background, we've now come to relate the both together instead of creating two separate issues. It seems as though both are left in what used to be.

I feel that the feeling will be stronger if the body shown in the image is bigger.

I dun really agree with this, as i believe denniskee intention is just to use the man as a lead in to the open space (which signify the person the man is waiting). In this case, how big, who is the man etc is all irrelevant.... Hence only showing the legs with the slippers...

the picture did work for me but it's really disturbing that the focussed area is too near to the photog and too far from the person. was the focussing done manually?

it was manually focus, i tried focusing near to the man, but DOV not shallow enough.

denniskee said:
it was manually focus, i tried focusing near to the man, but DOV not shallow enough.

i see ... most probably you're quite a distance away from the man then. sometimes this is when we say 'not close enough'

denniskee said:
hi acranic

you mean focusing the bottle to reflect "waiting?

just a rough idea~ :) looks to me like e bottle was empty..

was thinking something alone the lines like.. "he waited til he drank up all e water..." :think:

hehe..

maybe a beer bottle would have a better effect.

denniskee said:

It really transpired to me the "yearning for 'fulfillment or someone' but whatever it may be, still not there yet" kind of mood....... Not showing the upper body leads to much more imaginations.

Oh.... beside manually focused, just being curious and also want a tip or two, did you handheld the camera or it was placed on something?

:D

for this, just place it on the floor and fire away.

you may ask how than do i know the composition since the view finder is low down. i dont look through the view finder. thats the beauty of using 1 prime lens to shoot. after awhile, you dont really have to see through view finder.

i have seen a vcd about leica camera, the earliest model "zero" dont even have view finder to start off with. after going through a few rolls, the photo gets the feel of it and almost 90% of his shoots falls into place.

if you like street candid, but uses a big slr, i recommend you to try do the same. this way, the chances your intended subject being alert by you is much less.

using old manual focus lens does help (slow or still subject). if you have use canon ef 50mm f1.8, you know there is not distant scale marking on the lens body. it took me quite some time to figure manual focusing with this lens without looking through the view finder.

Really cool, man! Thanks for sharing.

I also have the 50mm f1.8 and may try it someday. Thought of getting a cable release so it won't be so prominent on pressing the shutter button.

We are only one MRT station away. See if can catch up again with you someday?

Status
Not open for further replies.