Wait for D800 or buy D700 now

Goldfishub

Aug 20, 2006
Hi All, would like to seek your opinion on whether to buy D700 now or wait for D800. Anyone has recently purchase new D700? Can share the pricing? Thank you in advance!

Hi All, would like to seek your opinion on whether to buy D700 now or wait for D800. Anyone has recently purchase new D700? Can share the pricing? Thank you in advance!

Do you really need the d700 now? If nt no harm waiting i guess...

Not sure how much is D700 now, but once D800 is out, I'm sure it's more ex than D700.
If you're not into HD video, then I think D700 is a great camera to shoot with. I mean "WOW" to me if I own it.
I don't really mind the so called "age" of the camera, it depends on the person behind the viewfinder.
If you see yourself needing the FX performance, then go for D700. :)

Cathay - 3180
DD Electronics (Shop Warranty) - 2857

If you need it, buy it =)

your call actually, depending on whether you really need it now . . . :)

i am waiting too for the replacement . . . cos i can wait . . . :)

wait if you can... the replacement model is going to be much better.... that's my guess :)

D800 will have video and new technological improvements over D700 whch is more than one and half years old, but expect to pay more than D700. If you buy when D800 has been launched, D700 will be cheaper then than now.
Comparison and decision between the two can then be made more easily.

Last edited:
D800 will have video and new technological improvements over D700 whch is more than one and half years old, but expect to pay more than D700. If you buy when D800 has been launched, D700 will be cheaper then than now.
Comparison and decision between the two can then be made more easily.

D700 was for sales from July 08, more than 2.5yrs old.

Hi All, thank you for all the input. I guess will use my D90 till the launch then decide whether D700 or D800 unless the price of D700 drop in the next few months. Thank you very much!!!!!!!!

4 questions,

Do you have any nikon dslr currently to hang on for shooting while waiting till summer launching?
If yes, does your photography need exceeds the current dslr now that justify an immediate upgrade to FX?
Are you prepare to pay about 1k extra for the extra feature & better performance over D700?
Do you need or will you use these extra feature & better performance over D700 regularly to justify spending 1k more?

Its not really confirmed that there is a D800 or the improved version of D700. Rubies only though. Just like the D90 and D7000. Since D7k's launch, people are still buying the D90.

Last edited:
Wait and save money for d800...

Like in everything else, get it when u need it. So if u need the FX and high iso performance D700 now is the way to go. If not even the new D800, when it comes out, is not much use.

So far the newer one is always better, you will kick yourself if you buy the old one just before the new one comes out.

Wait for D800 and you shall have the latest FF for 3 years or longer. Buy D700 and it get "obsolete" in a few months. Quoted because some are not happy with an old model although it still produces great images.

Depends on your personality... if you're the kind that buys now and won't look back..then D700... However, if you're the kind that buys now, then the new model comes out right after and you'll be knocking your head silly .... Then... D800. But must get it when it's first released and when the price is at its super highest... if you wait for the price to drop...then the whole vicious cycle will be repeated all over... and then I'll say good luck with your DXXX purchase... :bsmilie:

I just got my D700 at $3007 from SLRR

Dun think D800 will be released in near future. Anyway, it's only rumour. Nobody can guarantee anything.

Buy watever you need and start shooting. By the time D800 is released, you may have clocked tens of thousands of shutter count already...