Wagler's Pit Viper

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiker

May 31, 2006
singapore
www.flickr.com
hi,
like to share this juvenile viper seen at bukit timah hill yesterday.
caution: Highly venomous.:eek:

488274773_17d7ebb93c_b.jpg

juvenile Wagler's Pit Viper

cheers
daniel koh

Almost missed this exciting shot. This mean looking viper, look like it's going to strike anytime.
Fantastic catch, Daniel.

nice shot! :thumbsup:

don't get too close though...:eek: :eek: :what:

nice shot! but why crop it so much? its a lazy snake, bet u have more shots. any views showing the other side of its head? :bigeyes:

nice shot! but why crop it so much? its a lazy snake, bet u have more shots. any views showing the other side of its head? :bigeyes:

hi sambition, i didn't cropped much, snake was on a fence, and i was below it,
using a 300mm, i couldn't fit the whole snake into the pic,
but i have a pic here taken much further away that show the entire snake,
sorry no pic of top view also...not possible...:bsmilie:
tks for viewing.:D
493897850_4517796bed_b.jpg

looks like a quite common fd at bt timah hill? probly waiting on the fence for the prey to come along...

What a snake!
Never thought is such poisonous type.
When I was at BTNR trekking few weeks back saw a few uncles with wooden sticks and one of them warned me about snakes.

Any snake with a diamond shaped head, you better be careful. It may look out of range, but when the snake uncoils itself rapidly, the striking range can be quite far. I've got a friend who used to work at the now-defunct Reptile Park, and when he was hand-feeding a baby pit viper, he got bitten and within the hour, his entire arm swelled and had to be sent to ICU. (He was OK, and went back to feeding crocs instead - crazy guy).

Any snake with a diamond shaped head, you better be careful. It may look out of range, but when the snake uncoils itself rapidly, the striking range can be quite far. I've got a friend who used to work at the now-defunct Reptile Park, and when he was hand-feeding a baby pit viper, he got bitten and within the hour, his entire arm swelled and had to be sent to ICU.

wah, you have a brave friend, exciting job.:sweat:
it must be his interest that keeps him in this line,
dun think can find many people with such interest around...:sweat:
tks for the warning.:D

Are they usually lethal? Their venom digests flesh, but that's relatively safe compared to say, neurotoxins..

Are they usually lethal? Their venom digests flesh, but that's relatively safe compared to say, neurotoxins..

can be lethal indeed, depending on the dose of venom that the snake injects. Victim can bleed to death.. and bleeding wud be mostly internal.
Wise thing, TS had a 300mm instrument and didnt have to get too close ;)

hi sambition, i didn't cropped much, snake was on a fence, and i was below it,
using a 300mm, i couldn't fit the whole snake into the pic,
but i have a pic here taken much further away that show the entire snake,
sorry no pic of top view also...not possible...:bsmilie:
tks for viewing.:D
493897850_b8ee0e9fd6.jpg

hmm..interesting! from the 1st shot, i thought it was hangin from the aerial roots of a banyan tree.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.