Volunteers Needed .... A Good Deed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Long Thai Bean

Dec 14, 2003
The 3rd Rock
beansproutpics.zenfolio.com
Hi All,

Just passing on a message I recieved as a YEP Alumni ... Anyone interested to help ... please feel free to contact them ;) . I am sure we all have to skills in photography to impart to these children ... Mentoring them will be the challenge. But I am sure it will all be worth it when we see their final exhibition .... :thumbsup:

Go ahead and be a Big Brother to someone less fortunate .....

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *​

Needed: 15-20 Photographer-Mentors

Kids With Cameras is a 3-month long project in collaboration with Children At-Risk Empowerment (http://www.caresingapore.org/) and Beyond Social Services (http://www.beyond.org.sg/). Its objective is to equip at-risk youth with basic photography skills, gradually progressing to advanced photography skills, and culminating in an exhibition of their photos which explores issues in their lives.

This project is different from other workshops in that we do not use the traditional classroom style of teaching, but will instead employ a more mentoring style of approach. Each youth will be assigned a volunteer, who is versed in photography and is able to commit for a minimum of 4 sessions, in order to build a trust with the youth.

In this mentoring approach, each youth receives individual attention from a volunteer, which we feel is more important than the actual imparting of photography skills. Start date will be after the mid-year exams. All volunteers will be screened for suitability.

For more info on The Choice Initiative projects, please visit www.thechoiceinitiative.org/projects.htm You can also contact TCI President Jared at jared@thechoiceinitiative.org

looks interesting...
wished i could help, but....
honestly... i not that pro.... =(

LTB - mebbe u could help by providing more info as to things like age of children involved, who's gonna provide the equipment and/or training facilities, qualifications of volunteers etc...? i'm sure there are many of us who dun mind helping. ;)

yeap yeap, i dun mind if my mediocre skills can be of any use, den can accompany kids also... btw i swear i am not Micheal Jackson... ;p

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
yeap yeap, i dun mind if my mediocre skills can be of any use, den can accompany kids also... btw i swear i am not Micheal Jackson... ;p

DCA ->
jackson.gif

:bsmilie:

yeah... more info would be good... see if they any min qualifications etc
or any min age for that matter...

Dear all,

Thanks for your responses .... I have already e-mailed the organisers to get more information. I was merely passing on the info that I recieved from the e-mail on my original post ... but seeing that there is some response to the thread, I will try my best to provide as much information as possible ...

Thanks to all ... Do visit their website, its very interesting and very informative on what they are doing. There is also a photographer involved with their projects ... Jeremy Ong ... Not sure if anyone knows him or if he is in CS also ....

RGDs

Hi there, details like dates & time could help greatly. Not everyone is free everyday, but I'm sure if we'r free on the dates given, we will certainly like to help. ;p

yeah man .. this sounds interesting ... i got but basic photography knowledge ... newbie here =P ... but well ... would love to help and impart my little skill to others =)

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the responses ....

Let me apologise ... I think this thread was a little pre-mature when I posted it up. I had communicated with the organisers and they are still in the midst of putting all the details together. MOre information regarding the workings of the whole programme will only be available next week ... Those who are interested ... please keep a lookout. I will try to update this thread again once I get more info.

Once again, thanks for all your interest ...

RGDs

no prob man, :thumbsup: to you for the effort too!

I'm also interested to volunteer but not pro also. Just your regular weekend hobbyist-shooter-with-some-basic-shooting-skills guy.

Do keep us updated to the date and time to volunteer.

Status
Not open for further replies.