Voigtlander Heliar-Hyper Wide 10mm f5.6 E-mount - The Widest Lens, Ever

chipvn

Aug 26, 2010
Being a fan of super wide lens, I could not resist myself to pull the trigger after knowing that it is available at my hometown distributor.
As a amateur, I don't want to make this thread as a formal review (which I believe I could not up there yet). Just want to make it as a sharing thread about this lens and some photos taken by it and my Sony A7RII. Therefore, there will be no lens chart or brick wall shooting. There will be also no 100% crop at extreme corner for pixel peeping. Just some user thought, experience with the lens.

Firstly, here is some specs which I copied from Cameraquest for those who want to know.

Focal Length10mm
Maximum ApertureF5.6
Minimum ApertureF22
Lens Construction10 Groups 13 Elements
Angle of View130°
Aperture Blade10
Minimum Focus0.3m
Maximum DiameterΦ67.8mm
Length73.8mm
Weight371g
Electrical ContactAvailable
Manual Focus AssistAvailable
MountE-mount
Filter sizeDNA
Standard EquipmentFront Cap (Pressure Fit)
Rear Cap
OtherIntegrated Petal Hood
Aperture Control System

And these are the lens mounted on Sony A7RII:

27322007240_33d07fc9c4_b.jpg

27599307715_5eb6b19afa_b.jpg

It is easy to see that there is no filter thread and currently there is no filter holder solution available yet for this lens

Last edited:
Being a widest lens ever, the tiny size of the lens is really amazing.

Here is how it compares with the 2 other Voigtlander M mount lens: the Ultron 21/1.8 and the Heliar-Ultra Wide 12/5.6 V2:

26988994564_57caeb731f_b.jpg

And here is how it compares with the Zeiss FE 16-35/4 zoom lens:

27526400641_618b10b0d6_b.jpg

Got it few week ago but being crazy busy these days stopped me from having more time with it. Here are some photos taken by the lens during the weekend 2 weeks ago before I went for my long business trip. The first impression within that time is the lens is almost distortion free (even much lesser than the Ultra Wide 12/5.6). Look like Voigtlander have adopt the improvement on the design of the Voigtlander Heliar-Super Wide 15/4.5 V.3 into this 10mm lens. On Sony A7RII, there is no trace of color cast. Vignetting is well controlled and lesser than the Voigtlander 12/5.6 V2. Corner performance are better than the Voitlander 12/5.6 V2 and there is very minimal trace of smearing at extreme corner. Flare control are really good even when shooting directly to the sun. The purple fringing is quite high but comparable with the Voigt 12/5.6 and easy to remove if you are using LR.

All photos sharing here are converted from RAW by CaptureOne Pro9 for Sony with no distortion correction. There might be some minor vignetting compensation on some photos but nothing to worry about.

Let's the photos speak for themselves from now.

26971465694_887ca0725e_b.jpg

27599954895_fd9b0a360a_b.jpg

Great little lens. I'll be getting mine next week, hopefully.

I've spoken to NiSi, they are R&Ding a filter holder for this lens. It should be ready in a few months time.

Great little lens. I'll be getting mine next week, hopefully.

I've spoken to NiSi, they are R&Ding a filter holder for this lens. It should be ready in a few months time.
Yes, the build of the lens is amazing and IQ is also very respectable for the the lens such that wide.

The distributor in my hometown are also discussing with Benro to design an adapter (which might have similar design to the one for Voigt 15/4.5 V.3) to use Benro current holder system for it.

Anyway i can get this lens in Singapore? Where did you purchase this lens and price? thanks

Yes, the build of the lens is amazing and IQ is also very respectable for the the lens such that wide.

The distributor in my hometown are also discussing with Benro to design an adapter (which might have similar design to the one for Voigt 15/4.5 V.3) to use Benro current holder system for it.

The manual focus assist kicks in automatically when you turn the focusing dial ? EXIF information all good ?

Very tempting :)

Anyway i can get this lens in Singapore? Where did you purchase this lens and price? thanks
I bought from Vietnam. I dun know if Chiff has brought it in already or not here.

The manual focus assist kicks in automatically when you turn the focusing dial ? EXIF information all good ?

Very tempting :)
Yes, everything works fine. Full EXIF, work well with SR. Focus assist kicks in automatically when turn the focus but I dun think we need to focus with the 10mm f5.6 lens anyway. I think the most valuable feature are you can see the f stop inside the viewfinder and EXIF

Continue with some photos:

26990176524_dee543a8b0_b.jpg

26990068624_1a123191b6_b.jpg

27527116231_44586fb4ae_b.jpg

27500716192_5d07f59b4a_b.jpg

not so sure if my eyes are playing tricks but I do see some distortion at the edge of the pictures?

not so sure if my eyes are playing tricks but I do see some distortion at the edge of the pictures?
Distortion, huh?! :eek: ....

26991296933_1c6f9aa68c_b.jpg

27510917042_83e62f83d3_b.jpg

nice shots!

looks too wide for me to compose and handle properly! 12mm and 15mm voigtlanders are plenty enough for me at the moment.

Just got mine from Chiif this evening. Wow. That wideness... Seems like 5mm too wide. Hahaha.

It is definitely not cheap. But it's not overly expensive too, especially if u compare UWA prime like Zeiss 15.

Just got mine from Chiif this evening. Wow. That wideness... Seems like 5mm too wide. Hahaha.

It is definitely not cheap. But it's not overly expensive too, especially if u compare UWA prime like Zeiss 15.

haha 5mm too wide? maybe u will be happier with the CV15 or 12?

haha 5mm too wide? maybe u will be happier with the CV15 or 12?

I have a 15mm already. Thought 10mm will be a good addition. Need to rethink how to compose with interesting foreground. Otherwise, image will feel very empty, with the distant objects looking so small.

mind sharing which focus length you brought and how much you bought it for?

mind sharing which focus length you brought and how much you bought it for?

I got myself the 10mm for the ultimate wideness. Pricing wise, u can check Chiif Cameras. The local price is not too far off from US pricing.